Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-26-2005, 04:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
inner exterior light

How can I keep inner exterior lights (Lights next to xenons) turned on ? actually I want to turn on them and fog lights.
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2005, 04:43 PM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
That inner pair of lights are for your DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) and for headlight flashing only; they must be programmed by the dealer to be always on or always off. They are not "switchable" i.e., they cannot be controlled from inside the car (only via the ignition switch). Foglights are only operable when the headlights (HID) are on. [edit: also when the switch is in "parking light" position]

How long have you had your car? The dealer should have asked you for your "car memory" and "key memory" preferences to be set before delivery. Here is a list of options that you can choose from to be turned on or off:

car/key memory options

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)

Last edited by JonathanIT; 01-27-2005 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chagahan
How can I keep inner exterior lights (Lights next to xenons) turned on ? actually I want to turn on them and fog lights.
You want to blind oncoming drivers with your high beams?

You want to have your fog lights on when its not foggy?
Old 01-26-2005, 05:03 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
How long have you had your car? The dealer should have asked you for your "car memory" and "key memory" preferences to be set before delivery.
A lot of dealers conveniently forget to give you the car/key memory worksheets to fill out. Then they can charge you for doing it after you take delivery. Bastages!!!!!

Old 01-26-2005, 05:05 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
You want to blind oncoming drivers with your high beams?
When the halogens are used in DRL mode, they are not run at full high beam brightness.

Old 01-26-2005, 05:37 PM
Empowered Consumer

Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by operknockity
When the halogens are used in DRL mode, they are not run at full high beam brightness.
And depending upon the color of the car, I've noticed that DRLs make other cars more "evident" to me earlier. I'm considering having mine programmed on at the next dealer visit.

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 01-26-2005, 06:07 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum
I'm considering having mine programmed on at the next dealer visit.
I opted to not have the DRLs activated as I'm usually very good about turning on my lights in rainy overcast weather. Just wish the other morons on the road were as considerate

Old 01-26-2005, 10:09 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
Quote:
And depending upon the color of the car, I've noticed that DRLs make other cars more "evident" to me earlier. I'm considering having mine programmed on at the next dealer visit.

Alex
And then there are the drivers (often in dark-colored cars) who don't turn on their headlights way past dusk - true, they might be able to still see where they're going, but it's like an open invitation to getting hit by someone else.
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Old 01-26-2005, 10:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330Ci Convertible
DRL's have been mandatory in many countries for years because they have been proven to save lives by reducing the chances of accidents. Odds are the US will one day make it standard on all new cars.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:21 PM
Grinning from ear to ear

Mein Auto: is way too fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by operknockity
Bastages!!!!!
Yeah those Fargin Iceholes!!!
Old 01-26-2005, 10:38 PM
ggcbmwcca.org Member

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4
Foglights are only operable when the headlights (HID) are on.
--J.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. Don't know about other cars but on the 2005 X5
you can operate the fog lights/and angel eyes with out the head lights on. The switching goes like this. From left to right...... Automatic headlights on or off depending on outside lighting.. Next All lights off ... Next angle eyes on only...then manual headlights on. In the Angel eyes only mode the fog lights can be switched on because they have a switch of their own.

I use the Angle eyes/fog ligh mode during inclimate weather because California Law requires you to have some sort of headlights on for safety. And they look very cool.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:41 PM
ggcbmwcca.org Member

Quote:
That inner pair of lights are for your DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) and for headlight flashing only; they must be programmed by the dealer to be always on or always off. They are not "switchable" i.e., they cannot be controlled from inside the car (only via the ignition switch). Foglights are only operable when the headlights (HID) are on.

How long have you had your car? The dealer should have asked you for your "car memory" and "key memory" preferences to be set before delivery. Here is a list of options that you can choose from to be turned on or off:

car/key memory options

--J.
you can operate the fog lights/and angel eyes with out the head lights on. The switching goes like this. From left to right...... Automatic headlights on or off depending on outside lighting.. Next All lights off ... Next angle eyes on only...then manual headlights on. In the Angel eyes only mode the fog lights can be switched on because they have a switch of their own.

I use the Angle eyes/fog lights mode during inclimate weather because California Law requires you to have some sort of headlights on for safety. And they look very cool.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:44 PM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver

I use the Angle eyes/fog ligh mode during inclimate weather because California Law requires you to have some sort of headlights on for safety. And they look very cool.
On E46 3 series (at least this is how it is on mine):

Fogs can turn on if 1) parking lights are on 2) headlights are on.
DRLs are run only when the headlights are off. (On cars programmed for DRLs. I don't have DRLs activated on mine.)
You cannot have fogs and highbeams or flash to pass on. The fogs will shut off when highs are on your you pull the lever for flash to pass. They come back on when you release the lever or shut off high-beams.

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 01-26-2005, 11:08 PM
ggcbmwcca.org Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy
On E46 3 series (at least this is how it is on mine):

Fogs can turn on if 1) parking lights are on 2) headlights are on.
DRLs are run only when the headlights are off. (On cars programmed for DRLs. I don't have DRLs activated on mine.)
You cannot have fogs and highbeams or flash to pass on. The fogs will shut off when highs are on your you pull the lever for flash to pass. They come back on when you release the lever or shut off high-beams.

Yep same thing in addition to what I have. Parking lights for me include Angle eyes
Old 01-27-2005, 12:38 AM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
Well shiver my timbers and blow me down... you guys are absolutely right. I thought I had tested this before, but I just went out to my car to see if mine worked the same way. It does: foglights are operable with the switch in either "parking" or "headlight." And of course in full auto when the HID's are burning.

Thanks for pulling my head out of my icehole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chagahan
So in response to the original question, the solution is simple: have the dealer activate your DRL's. When you turn the light switch to the right first position (from off) the "parking lights" position, hit the foglight switch. Your inner set of halogens will glow, and your foglights will be on. HID's will remain off. But also be aware you will not be able to turn your DRL's off!

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)

Last edited by JonathanIT; 01-27-2005 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:03 AM
John Firestone

Mein Auto: 1996 318is
Quote:
Having a pair of lights on up front also makes it much easier to judge the closing speed and distance of an oncoming car on a shaded country road especially if it is a dark-colored car! I wish more people who drive dark cars would realize that having some form of DRL would be much safer for everyone.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Unhappy

Quote:

So in response to the original question, the solution is simple: have the dealer activate your DRL's. When you turn the light switch to the right first position (from off) the "parking lights" position, hit the foglight switch. Your inner set of halogens will glow, and your foglights will be on. HID's will remain off. But also be aware you will not be able to turn your DRL's off!

--J.
Thanks to all of you guys.
Hmmm , I am not sure to have drl . I said CA to change settings and we filled a form but there was no DRL. Any way I will ask. I might consider demon eyes also (what is that ???)