Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-31-2005, 06:42 AM
Car nut / loser

Mein Auto: a few different cars
Heater blowing cold air (lost patience)

My first Newbie Owner Question. Sorry

Before anyone says anything, I read the owner's manual, searched here and searched in X5World and I still can't figure out what's wrong.

I've got the ACC settings right according to the manual, I've got the cold/warm wheel in the center vent pointed the right way and the fans all are still blowing cool air. It's about 20 degrees here in New Jersey this morning, and cold air is the last thing I want to feel. I spent 15 minutes trying to get hot air this morning, and it never happened. The engine got nice and warm (as did the bun warmers ...)

I have a hunch my sales associate messed something up at delivery (we've only driven it twice since we brought it home) because she was trying to show us the Auto ACC features, (like the "cold air in the face to wake you up trick") and now I can't get hot air to blow.

Is there a reset command, or (and this is another random thought) is the fact the sun was beating on the dash this morning messing up the sensors and therefore not allowing the heater to churn out 85 degree air?

Any thoughts anyone?

Last edited by twm67; 01-31-2005 at 07:04 AM.
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2005, 08:08 AM
RetiredBum

Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '02VetteVert
Didya try going to full "manual" on your HVAC settings?
eg: punch off A/C and punch off "Auto" and
set temps both sides, set vent location to footwell or middle, poke blower speed up?

No dis intended and this idea may be moot if something's screwed up.
GL,md
'10 Hyundai Tucson for the CEO, & 3 Assorted M'Cycles.
BMW CCA mem. Tarheel Chapter
My Flickr...Scenes,Cars & Road Trip Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45275375@N00/
Old 01-31-2005, 08:31 AM
Car nut / loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid
Didya try going to full "manual" on your HVAC settings?
eg: punch off A/C and punch off "Auto" and
set temps both sides, set vent location to footwell or middle, poke blower speed up?

No dis intended and this idea may be moot if something's screwed up.
GL,md
Uh, oh...... Did that too a few times with re-circulate on and off... Time to call the dealer....

Thanks!!!
Old 01-31-2005, 08:45 AM
RF Refugee

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by twm67

Before anyone says anything, I read the owner's manual, searched here and searched in X5World and I still can't figure out what's wrong.

I've got the ACC settings right according to the manual, I've got the cold/warm wheel in the center vent pointed the right way and the fans all are still blowing cool air. It's about 20 degrees here in New Jersey this morning, and cold air is the last thing I want to feel. I spent 15 minutes trying to get hot air this morning, and it never happened. The engine got nice and warm (as did the bun warmers ...)

I have a hunch my sales associate messed something up at delivery (we've only driven it twice since we brought it home) because she was trying to show us the Auto ACC features, (like the "cold air in the face to wake you up trick") and now I can't get hot air to blow.

Is there a reset command, or (and this is another random thought) is the fact the sun was beating on the dash this morning messing up the sensors and therefore not allowing the heater to churn out 85 degree air?

Any thoughts anyone?
there's a "Shipping Mode" for the a/c, that the car arrives in. mine got delivered in march and I couldn't get the a/c to blow cold, even with the correct settings. dealer should be able to hook up the computer and change in 5 minutes, if this is the problem.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:24 AM
Car nut / loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5Monkey®
there's a "Shipping Mode" for the a/c, that the car arrives in. mine got delivered in march and I couldn't get the a/c to blow cold, even with the correct settings. dealer should be able to hook up the computer and change in 5 minutes, if this is the problem.
Interesting. That could be it as my car arrived at the dealer 5 days before I picked it up (and I was just picking something off the lot - it wasn't an order.) Thanks!
Old 01-31-2005, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0
Same probem on X3

I don't know if this helps but I had the same symptoms with my X3. Air from defrost and foot vents was hot but air from upper-body ventes never got hot no matter what the settings. Was a simple fix, pop off lovers and attach cable properly, my post to roadfly:

They fixed the problem with the heater not working correctly (see previous thread), it turns out that the cable attached to the rotary knob that adjusts air bias from hot to cold for the upper-body vents was not connected to the knob and therefore only cold air ever came out (probably never connected at the factory).
2004 3.0i,Silver Gray Metallic/Gray,Premium,Cold,Steptronic,Xenon,Privacy, Sat Prep, Built:03-30-2004

Hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:26 PM
Car nut / loser

Hmmmmm. Wife just called and it appears the heat now works...

We'll have to see if it still works fine a few days from now.

(I guess this is my official welcome to driving a BMW...)
Old 01-31-2005, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5 4.4
Cooling system valve?

FWIW, I had these exact symptoms on an '01 740i last fall. There was a valve in the cooling system that did heat transfer that had failed. On the 7, when this happened, after about a 1/2 hour of driving, I'd get a hot water temp guage reading in th red though, so may be that's not it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twm67

Any thoughts anyone?