Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 02-02-2005, 04:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 Z3 3.0 Dakar Coupe
Accident last night, and the car knew

So traffic was stopping in front of me which brought me to a dead stop. The car behind me stops but a third car didn't. The third car hit the guy behind me and he went into me. When the impact happened, the flashers on my car came on automatically and the engine shut off. Probably both good safety features but afterwards the car would not restart. Press the clutch, turn the key and nothing. The damage wasn't too bad, hoping it is all cosmetic, but if the car started I probably would have been able to drive it home instead of it now sitting in a tow lot. Out of curiosity, would there have been a way to reset it so it would start?
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2005, 05:35 AM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '10 Mazda3 HB
No it won't start.

From what I remember in my manual (it has been a long time since I read any thing other than the light bulb section) there is a contact point somewhere in the electrical system that shears off in an impact to prevent a fire. It is a break-away part and its soul purpose in life is to break the electrical circuit and keep a spark from igniting spilling fuel.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Do it Right (eventually)

Mein Auto: 2002 MCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uj2
So traffic was stopping in front of me which brought me to a dead stop. The car behind me stops but a third car didn't. The third car hit the guy behind me and he went into me. When the impact happened, the flashers on my car came on automatically and the engine shut off. Probably both good safety features but afterwards the car would not restart. Press the clutch, turn the key and nothing. The damage wasn't too bad, hoping it is all cosmetic, but if the car started I probably would have been able to drive it home instead of it now sitting in a tow lot. Out of curiosity, would there have been a way to reset it so it would start?
Battery disconect at the battery terminal. You can jam it back in but should be replaced with new cable.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Inquiring mind

Mein Auto: Z3 2.8 BG & 5 old Volvos
I Did Not Know That

Very Cool!!!
Old 02-02-2005, 06:07 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkL
Battery disconect at the battery terminal. You can jam it back in but should be replaced with new cable.
Did you ever try doing that? Why I ask is the info I have implies that you can't.
Will try and post it later.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Proud S ponsor

Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
IIRC, any impact will also disable the fuel pump, so even if you could get a spark, there'd be no gas to ignite.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
When I wrecked my car, the engine cutoff and the car was put out of gear. I didn't touch a thing, I was just bracing myself. So I'm guessing the car did it itself...
Old 02-02-2005, 09:40 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:

Old 02-03-2005, 06:42 AM
Do it Right (eventually)

Mein Auto: 2002 MCoupe
Used it for 3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar
Did you ever try doing that? Why I ask is the info I have implies that you can't.
Will try and post it later.
Yes Ron, i drove my 00 Coupe for 3 months before I spliced in a new terminal plus 2 freet of Batt cable. As you can see from the drawings it is a conical fit. Just break away the plastic piece and jam it back in.
MarL
Old 02-03-2005, 06:56 AM

From the items that the diagrams show that would be disabled, this appears to be what happened. Being the damage was not THAT critical, had I known this before the accident I could have driven the car home that night. Now that we know about this, hopefully none of us will ever have to use it. Thanks Ron.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:33 AM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Yes Ron, i drove my 00 Coupe for 3 months before I spliced in a new terminal plus 2 freet of Batt cable. As you can see from the drawings it is a conical fit. Just break away the plastic piece and jam it back in.
MarL
Thanks. Good to know.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:49 AM
///M Practical

Mein Auto: 00 M Roadster
Very interesting. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:32 PM
19,585 Miles

Schematic

The following schematic of my coupe agrees with the BST info posted above.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:55 PM
Living on the redline

Mein Auto: a BMW killer
BMW made it non-repairable on the newer models (not just the E46 noted below)

Quote:
The attachment mechanism for the main battery cable on an E46 uses an explosive charge to separate it quickly from the power supply in case of an accident.

Handle this attachment mechanism with extreme care! Not only would it be extremely dangerous if it were to discharge while you were handling it, but the replacement cable costs more than $425!!

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, but today is a gift; that's why it's called the present

Old 02-04-2005, 03:08 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar
The following schematic of my coupe agrees with the BST info posted above.

Old 02-07-2005, 05:42 AM

Went to take a look at the car on Friday to see the damage in the daylight. Seems like it is rear hatch, deck and bumper damage, mainly. Insurance adjuster was out to see it Friday also so hopefully repairs will begin soon. Made special note to look at the battery cable and it looked nothing like the above. The black platic piece with the tabs is not the same on the one on my car (believe my build date is 4/01). Mine was all metal covered by a rubber boot. Didn't look like you could "repair" it by breaking the tabs and reestablishing contact.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:17 AM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uj2
Mine was all metal covered by a rubber boot. Didn't look like you could "repair" it by breaking the tabs and reestablishing contact.
Any pics?
Old 02-11-2005, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe
Hi Guys - I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I just saw Phillipek's reply of "IIRC, any impact will also disable the fuel pump, so even if you could get a spark, there'd be no gas to ignite." I was just in a low speed accident (7-10 mph) in my '00 M Coupe where I hit a telephone pole right where my passenger side headlight is located. The place where I went for the repair work has an impeccable reputation and the body work that they did is amazing, but they can't get the car started. It turns over and over, but won't start. Do you think it's possible that they have not reactivated the Fuel pump?