Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-03-2005, 10:12 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
got the car back (was: Kia Rio, quality automobile)

(yes, this is E46 related).

Took the car in for 3 things:
1) My rear diff is still dripping oil. They "fixed" this back in November. Still happening.
2) Erratic idle, provided the dealer w/ service bulletin # to update to 39.2
3) FM radio fade (search for "the lawsuit" thread if you are unfamiliar). Once again, provided dealer w/ service bulletin number.

On #2, my SA said, "well, it sounds like this would be hard for us to reproduce..."

"Yes, I know. The service bulletin specifically says that it's hard for you to reproduce. I've read it."

They gave me a Kia Rio loaner (from Enterprise, which is located inside the dealership). I don't have a problem with this. What kind of rubbed me wrong is that the enterprise guy tried to sell me up. "I know you're used to a BMW. The free loaner covers this Kia.. if you want, I could get you in something better..."

Um, no.

I'll update this thread with the results of the service .

Last edited by KrisL; 02-04-2005 at 05:54 PM.
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2005, 10:29 AM
Pure Natural BMW Muscle!

Mein Auto: 320CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL
(yes, this is E46 related).

Took the car in for 3 things:
1) My rear diff is still dripping oil. They "fixed" this back in November. Still happening.
3) FM radio fade (search for "the lawsuit" thread if you are unfamiliar). Once again, provided dealer w/ service bulletin number.

On #2, my SA said, "well, it sounds like this would be hard for us to reproduce..."

"Yes, I know. The service bulletin specifically says that it's hard for you to reproduce. I've read it."

They gave me a Kia Rio loaner (from Enterprise, which is located inside the dealership). I don't have a problem with this. What kind of rubbed me wrong is that the enterprise guy tried to sell me up. "I know you're used to a BMW. The free loaner covers this Kia.. if you want, I could get you in something better..."

Um, no.

Maybe we will see some Kia looking like this soon:

Old 02-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 330i ZHP
Quote:
How come you have to provide them with the service bulletin and what software version to upgrade to? I would think that BMW-NA would distribute to all the service centers the latest updates for each of the cars, as well as all the service bulletin upgrades. And each center manager would provide weekly update meetings & training to the staff.

Come on. In this digital era it's as easy as just updating some online instruction form and sending out mass emails to all registered BMW owners as to how to bring their car to the most updated status.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktc
How come you have to provide them with the service bulletin and what software version to upgrade to? I would think that BMW-NA would distribute to all the service centers the latest updates for each of the cars, as well as all the service bulletin upgrades. And each center manager would provide weekly update meetings & training to the staff.

Come on. In this digital era it's as easy as just updating some online instruction form and sending out mass emails to all registered BMW owners as to how to bring their car to the most updated status.

I think in this digital era, I should be able to update my car myself..
Old 02-03-2005, 10:43 AM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktc

You give BMWNA and BMW dealers (and frankly, the auto industry in general) FAR more credit than it deserves.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I think in this digital era, I should be able to update my car myself..
Agreed. My neighbors plugged their laptops right into their A4s.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:46 AM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktc
Agreed. My neighbors plugged their laptops right into their A4s.

That ability is coming to the E46 (with no help from BMW, of course). Check out the "BiM-COM" yahoo group.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz
You give BMWNA and BMW dealers (and frankly, the auto industry in general) FAR more credit than it deserves.
Apparently. God knows what I should have expected for only $40k.

I got my "How was your purchase experience" call from BMW-NA's marketing 3rd party. I told them that they better fix my 1wk old car's busted foglight before I give them a score for their "ultimate driving experience."

I've heard that various dealers often provide a "charity" repair for small items when cars are new. Oh well.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:57 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:

Um, no.

Good luck with the service. I guess I had been spoiled for the 3 years I owned my MB C240 - I always got a free MB loaner. I wonder what I'll get when it's time to bring my 330i in for service .

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 02-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Achtun*, Spitfire!

Mein Auto: '93 E30 318is Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
The stalling/erratic idle problem has been around for years, yet SA's still act all stupid like they have no idea what you're talking about. Do these people live under rocks? Auto dealers...

No, it's deliberate. It costs BMW money to fix the problem, so of course they aren't going to rush to point out that it's a chronic problem they've been hearing people complain about for the last 6 years.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:56 AM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by norihaga
No, it's deliberate. It costs BMW money to fix the problem, so of course they aren't going to rush to point out that it's a chronic problem they've been hearing people complain about for the last 6 years.
Well it seems not everybody has it. So if you complain, you get the fix. Simple as that.
I think they only volunteer repairs for safety issues or things that get extremely bad press.

My dealer has a "special" room where they do all the programming - I asked why and he said because all the problems with the new 7 series SW and electronics (and the 5 to a lesser extent), they reserved this room where they do the SW updates.

It was the only time that I got the car washed and squeaky clean - wouldn't do to have a dirty 330 in that rarefied 7 series air...

adc
03 330 ZHP
Old 02-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Ubergeek

Ok, just got my car back. Services performed:

3311769 Replaced rear cover gasket on final drive
1142 WBC
P/N 33-12-1-214-719 Gasket

Found code at DME
1300002 OPEN TIME Checking function of the Digital Motor Electronics (DME)
1142 WBC
1214710 Programming DME data status
1142 WBC

651009 OPEN TIME Troubleshooting radio
1142 WBC
P/N 65-12-6-927-911 RPLMT.RADIO

So, looks like they replaced the diff gasket, updated my DME, and replaced the radio. I didn't get to talk to my service advisor, so I don't know what version of the DME he updated me to (39.2? 40.xx?). I can't find any hidden OBC functions that will tell you... anyone? Since the erratic idle is intermittent, I'll assume (based on other's experiences) that it's fixed.

My only complaint with the service (other than upselling me on a loaner) was that they didn't set the area on my radio. When resetting my presets, I noticed that FM was incrementing by .1mhz instead of .2mhz (odd numbers). Held down the SEL button after turning it on, went to area, and it was set to NO AREA. Set it to USA and I was good to go.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:59 PM
Paw Paw

Send a message via Yahoo to glaws
Mein Auto: 2002 M3 Coupe Topaz/Gray
What dealer did you take it to, if you don't mind me asking?

A friend will allways try to help you up when you fall. If I can't get you up: Hell, I'll just lie down with you.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaws
What dealer did you take it to, if you don't mind me asking?
BMW of Fremont.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:12 PM
Paw Paw

Send a message via Yahoo to glaws
Mein Auto: 2002 M3 Coupe Topaz/Gray
Quote:
BMW of Fremont.
I took mine there for routine oil change. They treated me OK, but then I didn't require a loaner. This agency is owned by AutoNation for whatever difference that makes.

A friend will allways try to help you up when you fall. If I can't get you up: Hell, I'll just lie down with you.