Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 03-07-2014, 06:22 AM
06 530i

Mein Auto: 06 530i/Yamaha warrior
Where are you from?? why did you choose BMW??

So i live USA and i had moved from Bosnia in 1999 to Cleveland Ohio USA. I currently drive 06 530i and prior to that i had 99 323i and prior to that i had VW's Audis etc.. all Europen cars. I found that i like the BMW the best and thats what im'm going to drive from now on. It has nothing to do with the status.
These guys i work with make fun of me that only damn foreigners drive "old/older" BMW's because of status but cannot afford new one. (it's all in good fun they are great group of guys) So where are you from and why did you choose BMW. I will show them tyhe response i get on here. It's all for FUN...
Ads by Google
Old 03-07-2014, 06:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by baro1220 View Post
So i live USA and i had moved from Bosnia in 1999 to Cleveland Ohio USA. I currently drive 06 530i and prior to that i had 99 323i and prior to that i had VW's Audis etc.. all Europen cars. I found that i like the BMW the best and thats what im'm going to drive from now on. It has nothing to do with the status.
These guys i work with make fun of me that only damn foreigners drive "old/older" BMW's because of status but cannot afford new one. (it's all in good fun they are great group of guys) So where are you from and why did you choose BMW. I will show them tyhe response i get on here. It's all for FUN...
I drive an 07 530i and i bought my wife a 2013 320i. BOTH of us drive BMW's becasue we love driving and the way BMW's drive. BMW is not a status mobile to me, if anything its a money pit as maintenance on my 5 series out of warranty is atrocious. My BMW's are more like family memebers than just a mode of transport. Driving isnt just some task i must do every day. I love driving my BMW every time i get in it. Same goes for all 7 BMW's ive owned. I hope this answers your question haha. By the way im American currently in Germany, originaly from Arlington, VA.

www.bmwpassion.simplesite.com
Old 03-07-2014, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi 6 speed manual
I started driving import vehicles (non-US) in the 70's when I first got my license because of the crappy workmanship of American cars at the time. Imports had issues too, yes, but you could somehow FEEL that they were of better quality.

My progression has been Subaru 360 (new), Peugeot (used), Datsun 710 (new), Datsun 510 (new), Hyundai Excel (new-what a mistake!), Mazda 626 (new), BMW 528i (used), current ride - BMW 530xi (used).

I ended up with a Bimmer because I immediately noticed the difference from all the other cars I had ever known. I'll admit that the prestige didn't hurt, but having a solid hi-performance car was what really mattered most.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
I'm a new BMW owner and have a rather ridiculous story.

I've never been a car guy and am still oblivious when it comes to cars. Using computers as an analogy, I'm the equivalent of "what's an internet?" .

My family has always owned regular economy cars, mostly Toyota Camry's. Our 2001 has been dying for quite some time and it was failing the emissions test (in MD it has to pass to be legal). So 6 months ago my mom was already talking about what car to get next. I jokingly said "hey maybe we should get a BMW". I've always liked the look of BMWs, they just have a design and style that just works no matter if it's old or new. But realistically speaking I was planning on getting a regular ol' Honda or Toyota, something very fuel efficient.

As we got closer to the emissions expiration deadline, my mom started hounding me about what car to get. I've inadvertently incepted the idea of actually getting a BMW in her mind and she started to hound me about getting one. One night in December she confronted me at dinner. The conversation went something like this:

Her: so did you look at that BMW link I sent you?
Me: yea...
Her: ...so what do you think?
Me: ...what do you mean what do I think? This is absurd. How the hell can I afford this?? I just need something practical and really fuel efficient, probably an electric car.
Her: NO. NOOOOOOOO. YOU CAN'T DO THAT THOSE THINGS ARE FIRE HAZARDS.
Me: Uh huh... you're not even considering getting an older one (by older I mean used)
Her: Oh no no, this is older!
Me: How? It looks pretty new.
Her: See...it's a 2013 model. They've already come out with the 2014 model.
Me: .........I'm done. You can buy the car if you want. I'm not going along with this.
Her: *SLAMS fists down on the table* I'M SICK OF YOU ALWAYS BEING SO NEGATIVE. MAYBE I'LL BUY THE CAR JUST TO SPITE YOU.

That was on a Wednesday. On Saturday I went to work in the morning. Went straight to go out with some friends and didn't come back until 2AM. I pull in the garage and open the door and there's a goddamn 328i sitting there...

So now I'm basically obligated to pay off the car, but she took a pretty hefty down payment so it's do-able for me. And now I have to start really knowing the car...it's too expensive not to. But I'm also in love with it. I don't think I can go back to anything else again
Old 03-07-2014, 11:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
That's. ... pretty crazy. ..

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

www.bmwpassion.simplesite.com
Old 03-08-2014, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 09 Freightliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi View Post

I've never been a car guy and am still oblivious when it comes to cars. Using computers as an analogy, I'm the equivalent of "what's an internet?" .

My family has always owned regular economy cars, mostly Toyota Camry's. Our 2001 has been dying for quite some time and it was failing the emissions test (in MD it has to pass to be legal). So 6 months ago my mom was already talking about what car to get next. I jokingly said "hey maybe we should get a BMW". I've always liked the look of BMWs, they just have a design and style that just works no matter if it's old or new. But realistically speaking I was planning on getting a regular ol' Honda or Toyota, something very fuel efficient.

As we got closer to the emissions expiration deadline, my mom started hounding me about what car to get. I've inadvertently incepted the idea of actually getting a BMW in her mind and she started to hound me about getting one. One night in December she confronted me at dinner. The conversation went something like this:

Me: ...what do you mean what do I think? This is absurd. How the hell can I afford this?? I just need something practical and really fuel efficient, probably an electric car.
Me: Uh huh... you're not even considering getting an older one (by older I mean used)
Me: .........I'm done. You can buy the car if you want. I'm not going along with this.
Her: *SLAMS fists down on the table* I'M SICK OF YOU ALWAYS BEING SO NEGATIVE. MAYBE I'LL BUY THE CAR JUST TO SPITE YOU.

That was on a Wednesday. On Saturday I went to work in the morning. Went straight to go out with some friends and didn't come back until 2AM. I pull in the garage and open the door and there's a goddamn 328i sitting there...

So now I'm basically obligated to pay off the car, but she took a pretty hefty down payment so it's do-able for me. And now I have to start really knowing the car...it's too expensive not to. But I'm also in love with it. I don't think I can go back to anything else again
Outstanding!
Old 03-08-2014, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Quote:
But I'm also in love with it. I don't think I can go back to anything else again
Great story!

This seems to be a common theme with BMW owners in that once you own one, its hard to drive or own anything else. Not so much with other brands and loyalty.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi 6 speed manual
You have a pretty smart mom.

Well, this forum is a good place to get straight answers, so we're glad you're here. Fell free to pose questions about anything anytime.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Ha, glad you guys liked the story. I've browsed around on this forum for about week and already have gained some good knowledge...like my 328i is a F30 type with RWD. Starting to become familiar with the different series of BMW. Already salivating over European Delivery and driving on the autobahn.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:55 AM
Bimmerless

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe
When I got car fever when I was about 9, my dad (not a car guy) explained to me that BMW was a sedan that handled like a sports car. I developed an appreciation for them. When my wife & I moved to San Francisco in '97, we decided to go down to one car. We needed one car that would do it all. One that could carry passengers, groceries & Bikes, but that handled & performed well. I knew BMW was the answer. We sold our Japanese sports cars (MR2 & Eclipse) and bought an e36 325i. It handled great, but somehow pulled the hat trick of having a comfortable compliant ride. It was extremely predictable & forgiving (my MR2 would bite back hard if you let off the gas in a corner). I also found it had a personality that the Japanese cars lacked. You could really feel the mechanical characteristics of the car, in the steering, clutch engagement & the controls. I could do 0-60 in a respectable time, and also get 30 mpg on the highway if I wanted to. Now 7 years after selling my last dimmer (e46 330i), I'm getting one again. I did some test driving, Porsche Cayman S and Z4 M Coupe, and while the Porsche was wonderful, getting in the M Coupe, I was greeted by all familiar tactile cues, smells & vibe that I remembered from my last bimmer. The Porsche was a bit too perfect? Our Mini has a lot of BMW bits, including the orange lights, but is much more gaudy inside. It lacks the minimalist, functional trappings of a BMW. It felt like home. But I do have a strong feeling that BMW is taking a different path now, and they will never be what they were. Perhaps in 10 years, once they sort out all the digital steering & ecology driven driven technology they will be more appealing, but not the same as the previous cars. I plan on keeping my M Coupe for a long time.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:08 AM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Hi! My 2 cents: we are on our third BMW, all used. Based on my lineage I avg to 2.5 generation US citizen, so I seem to fit into your co-workers Euro generalization model ;-)

We started with a 1993 E36 (525i sedan) which is still in our possession. Purchased and sold a 1999 E39 (528i wagon); replaced it with a 2009 Audi A4. The wife loved that car, but economically it needed $7500 of mechanical work not including a paint job (first BMW I have seen that had clear coat flaking, an embarrassment really). We (actually, she) now own/operate a 2010 F07 (550i GT) and couldn't be happier with a vehicle.

To second some thoughts above...when we sold the wagon we were downgrading in size since we no longer had a dog and wound up buying the Audi A4. Our feelings toward the Audi can be summed up as, "Meh." First I have learned to hate 4 cylinder engines (this applies to BMW as well and was how we ended up with the A4 as it felt like it had the most torque when we were doing our test drives) and I will avoid front wheel drive cars like the plague. Unfortunately the Audi just feels like another car to us. An interesting comment my wife made applies to many BMW owners, I believe (even if they don't verbaize it): "When I was driving the Audi I kept telling myself it's just a device to get me from point A to point B...but now that I am back in a BMW I realize I was lying to myself. I actually enjoy driving again and wish my commute was longer at times."
Old 03-13-2014, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
Quote:
.. and driving on the autobahn.
I'm looking forward to that too when I go to Germany visiting family in the summer. For many years I would make fun of people buying anything *sporty* here in the US. I'm not sure what changed but the kids got older and I found my wife looking at that red car (after I showed it to her)..

I'm still looking for a place and opportunity where I can drive that thing, though.

2014 X3 xDrive28i
Old 03-13-2014, 09:02 AM
Steve In Texas

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x35i
From Texas. I've always admired the way they looked and drove. I've been a huge fan since I first saw my 4th grade buddy Chris' dad's E21 in the late 70's. My dad got the first BMW in our family - a 1989 735iL (E32), and I loved it.

I honestly can't believe I did not buy my first until I was 44, but I finally took delivery of my first BMW a few days ago. I guess my frugality and pragmatism trumped my heart up until this time.

Undoubtedly many BMW owners purchase the car because of the prestige factor, but I could not care less about that. In fact, an F150 Limited with truck nuts probably buys a guy more prestige around here than just about any BMW.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:24 AM
BMW OBSESSION

Mein Auto: 14 535xi;14 335i M Spt
Quote:

Great Story! We are hooked on BMW's as well. I have tried other comparable cars but always come back to BMW. Amazing cars!! Enjoy!
2014 335i M Sport - Estoril Blue II / Black Dakota / Tech / Prem / HK / 19" Avant Garde 310 - Mich PSS / Cold Wthr / DHP / Blk Kidney Grilles / 35% Tint / 8 spd Auto / True S package - S335i / BORLA ATAK EXHAUST

2014 535XI M Sport - Carbon Black / Ivory / CW / PREM / ASSIST / HK /
Old 03-16-2014, 06:00 PM
BMW FNG

Mein Auto: 2014 320xi
I just got my 2nd BMW and I think I'm in love! My first one was a 1993 328 that I picked up in 2003......Driving experience was pretty good! I recently got a promotion at work and I'm now driving a 2014 320Xi.
At first I was a little hesitant because I thought the maintenance costs were going to kill me....not so much!
I'm looking forward to learning a lot more about this brand
Old 03-16-2014, 08:21 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I am from Manhattan and bought BMWs because I ran into hard times financially.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Old 03-16-2014, 08:49 PM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible 2004
I don't care about cars. What I want is a solid 4-seater convertible. The Saab I had before decided on electrical harakiri and there aren't many options in the US if you don't like the Sebring (ugh).

Now I'm driving BMW because they don't break. I had another one in the 1990s for many years with no trouble.