Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 10-15-2013, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: Altima
Used BMW's

Hello, Just joined the forum, but have been lurking and reading the excellent info on this site for some time. I've been considering a BMW for several years but have a question.

Out of all the posts I've read, it seems that most forum members lease their BMW's due in part to the reliability and "cost to fix" issues when their cars are out of warranty. Because of the high number of miles I put on a car per year, leasing is not an option. If most BMW's are leased, who's buying the used cars and if there is such a concern over the long term reliability why would anyone want a used BMW?

Just curious because a used car with somewhere between 30-40k miles is what I'm looking at.

Thanks,
Darrell
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2013, 11:34 AM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Used BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown1317 View Post
Hello, Just joined the forum, but have been lurking and reading the excellent info on this site for some time. I've been considering a BMW for several years but have a question.

Out of all the posts I've read, it seems that most forum members lease their BMW's due in part to the reliability and "cost to fix" issues when their cars are out of warranty. Because of the high number of miles I put on a car per year, leasing is not an option. If most BMW's are leased, who's buying the used cars and if there is such a concern over the long term reliability why would anyone want a used BMW?

Just curious because a used car with somewhere between 30-40k miles is what I'm looking at.

Thanks,
Darrell
It always helps to post exactly which models you're looking at because each model can have its own problems.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 10-15-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepittrill View Post
It always helps to post exactly which models you're looking at because each model can have its own problems.

Looking specifically at the 3 series, with the 328d, or 335d heading the top of the list because of the high mpg.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:48 AM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Used BMW's

Quote:
Looking specifically at the 3 series, with the 328d, or 335d heading the top of the list because of the high mpg.
Oh, I know next to nothing about the diesels, sorry! Good luck though

Old 10-15-2013, 12:02 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
There are plenty here who buy used, including myself. While I put on low miles, there are others who rack them on.

You will want to hang out in the diesel subforum here, yeah it's rather down the list of subforum links, easy to miss:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=154

I've read in passing that enthusiasts here say the engine seems pretty solid, but if you were going to have any problems it would probably be with the emissions system. Some have no issue at all, others do.

If you're not convinced in the end that it's the right choice, I think a 328i E90 is plenty reliable, JMO. Maintenance seems straightforward too. Good luck hunting...
Old 10-15-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
There are plenty here who buy used, including myself. While I put on low miles, there are others who rack them on.

You will want to hang out in the diesel subforum here, yeah it's rather down the list of subforum links, easy to miss:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=154

I've read in passing that enthusiasts here say the engine seems pretty solid, but if you were going to have any problems it would probably be with the emissions system. Some have no issue at all, others do.

If you're not convinced in the end that it's the right choice, I think a 328i E90 is plenty reliable, JMO. Maintenance seems straightforward too. Good luck hunting...
Yep, I did find the diesel forum and a lot of good info on there. I was just wondering in general why most folks choose to lease vs buy but all I could really discern from the posts was the general lack of long term reliability.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 ; 2002 Wrangler;
Re: Used BMW's

Unless you want it customized with some special goods, simply must have it new every year, or dont have the time to search for a good used car, it really makes no $ense to buy new. There are off lease options, one year old deals (from the "must have new" crew), and other goodies out there.

If you willing to do your own work and are coachable, you'll save a ton of $
sent from my mind. Mentoc the Mindtaker

Last edited by Cvaria; 10-15-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:17 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Yep, I did find the diesel forum and a lot of good info on there. I was just wondering in general why most folks choose to lease vs buy but all I could really discern from the posts was the general lack of long term reliability.
I may be wrong, but I have the opposite impression from you. While yes plenty here who do lease regularly, I would guess that there are more owners than leasers here. Easily. At least in the subforums that I hang out at. Not even close I think.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:14 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Quote:

Thanks,
Darrell
Honestly it really only depends upon the length of time you keep your vehicles. I believe the 5 yr mark that one of the threads here references has proven it is the break even point for owners (but that is based on new vs new for the exact same vehicle). Anything less and a lease is the way to go, anything more buying is better. You really need to run the numbers for yourself.

I am on my 3rd BMW, all purchased used or CPO. Just make sure you learn about BMW's common repairs for the model you are considering.

Out of curiosity to see if I have come out ahead of someone who leases, I still have a 93 and just dumped a '99 2 yrs ago so let's look at the '99. It was an impulse buy through ebay (so paid very little for it) where I bought a 528i wagon for $16.5k w/ 66k miles that was not cared for and had been in a front end accident. I only dumped it when I had an estimated $7500 repair bill and decided not to do it as it had 186k miles and needed extensive paint work too. If the exterior wasn't looking bad probably would have done the repairs.

So let's just estimate I paid $28k considering sales tax and all repair costs I may have overlooked over the lifetime I owned it (which I think was 2003-2011), let's just say it was only 7 yrs. Considering a current 3 series starts at $400 for a lease let's just use that number for the same time frame with no other fees = $33,600 and that is a sparsely optioned 3 series, but you would be on your 3rd new vehicle and never have to worry about paying for any issues.

I can understand the logic for leasing especially since BMW includes "no maintenance", but I'm not enrolled because if you buy CPO you generally have 1 yr of the warranty remaining plus the CPO warranty that covers the powertrain for the extra 50k/2yrs (I believe).

Just make sure to get a pre-purchase inspection from a good mechanic (preferably a BMW mechanic who knows what to look for) even if it is a CPO...at the worst it will give you greater piece of mind and some price negotiating leverage.