Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 07-02-2014, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 vw jetta glx
can an alloy wheel be cracked during run flat tire removal?

Just had my run flats removed from 18' bmw alloys (05 545i sport). They held air when brought to the shop. The crack is on the inside lip and beyond the tire bead so air would excape IMO. Trying to understand how the tire held air if the crack was pre existinig? I watched the techs use a machine to break the bead, but then pry the bead over the lip with a long handled spoon style tire iron. With the stiffness of the run flat side wall and prying with a 24 inch tire iron, on the inner bead, could that crack the wheel? Wheel appears to be round and straight lipped.

thx,
M
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2014, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
I've heard of fine rim cracks that hold air. Never heard of a rim getting cracked from a tire change. It is a lot of force to crack a rim, I don't think a tire machine and operator can put that much force on the rim.

Tim
Old 07-03-2014, 07:19 AM
Running around in circles

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP
I guess that's possible especially if the tech or the place has never had any experience dealing with run flats and/or do not have the right machine. Those RFTs are STIFF!

Previous Bimmers ( All sorely missed ):
2007 Mystic Blue 530i - ED 12-15-06
2003 Grey Green 330i
2003 Electric Red 325iTa

Angular velocity is where it's at

-Jay
Old 07-15-2014, 10:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedhntr65 View Post
Just had my run flats removed from 18' bmw alloys (05 545i sport). They held air when brought to the shop. The crack is on the inside lip and beyond the tire bead so air would excape IMO. Trying to understand how the tire held air if the crack was pre existinig? I watched the techs use a machine to break the bead, but then pry the bead over the lip with a long handled spoon style tire iron. With the stiffness of the run flat side wall and prying with a 24 inch tire iron, on the inner bead, could that crack the wheel? Wheel appears to be round and straight lipped.

thx,
M
What a coincidence ... I just had my RFs removed last Thursday (7-10) from my 18" BMW alloys ... went with non RFTs ... I went back yesterday, because the tire was losing pressure daily ... the tires are fine, but they showed me a nice crack on my wheel exactly where you describe yours.

2006 325xi / Sparkling Graphite / Terra / Walnut/ Steptronic /Premium Package - Nav / Xenons || iPod Adapter | Blacklines (retired 5-1-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
It seems like the answer is yes. My bimmer is only the second vehicle I've owned with alloy (non steel) wheels. The other one is a Suzuki SUV with a full sized spare. It has gone through a couple tire changes and the rims are fine. But they are 65 series non-RFT tires. My bimmer has just been changed once but I went to a place on tire rack's list that I also have good prior experience with. They also do high end balances and do not push nitrogen. Good place. And my rims are fine.

I think you have to be more careful with aluminum or magnesium alloy rims. A place that is used to steel wheels or that just has poorly trained personnel can easily damage them, perhaps especially if they are dealing with RFTs.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: 06 530xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpritchett View Post
What a coincidence ... I just had my RFs removed last Thursday (7-10) from my 18" BMW alloys ... went with non RFTs ... I went back yesterday, because the tire was losing pressure daily ... the tires are fine, but they showed me a nice crack on my wheel exactly where you describe yours.
same thing happened to me. bought a used wheel off ebay, used the cracked wheel as a air hose caddy. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER CAR WITH RUN-FLATS!!
Old 01-04-2015, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto:
I've had my 2011-328I for 4 months. Purchased from an off dealer. When I took it in to have the tires checked I was told the rear inside were worn down and needed to be replaced. Took it in Saturday to do that and got a call from the BMW dealer that I have a cracked rim. Wow, $500 + to replace. I baby my car ... No potholed etc...so how could this be? Was it there when I bought the car from the other dealer?