Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 12-23-2006, 07:06 AM
THE PREACHER

Mein Auto: BWM 325I E36
Does anyone have a Radio Code List...
I just bought a BMW 740IL 4 days ago and the radio is missing the decal to get the code to unlock it. Can you tell me if there is any way to bypass this so i can finally listen to some jams.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 330 2001
i have a 330 2001. but i can't set the time. i would be really thankful if anyone can tell me the procedures.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:11 PM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy View Post
The database has been updated to the June, 2006 version.
The database has been updated to the May, 2007 version. If you are a BMW shop, please read the request for assistance at http://www.tmk.com/cgi-bin/defect-unknown.cgi
Old 10-20-2007, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: 750 Li
Exclamation Still Missing Defect Code Info...

HELLO! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP WITH THE DEFECT CODE LISTS! HOWEVER, I STILL NEED HELP WITH ONE... 2 QUESTIONS:

1) CODE: 85990022RT ?
==> I FOUND INFORMATION THAT IT IS A CODE FOR A RETAILER ADMINISTERED TRADE ASSIST-POWER TRAIN ENGINE, TRANS, DIFFERENTIAL (TREAD ACT)

IT SOUNDS LIKE THE WHOLE CAR WENT KAPUTZ!

2) WHAT DOES "TREAD ACT" MEAN?

3) WHAT DOES "RT" STAND RETAILER?

4) IF SO, DOES EACH DEALER ALSO HAVE THEIR OWN SET OF DEFECT CODES?

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY INFORMATION...!

GINA
Old 05-13-2008, 07:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Thanks guys, this list is awesome.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 540i
how do I reset my computer on my 1990 525i ?

Reseting my computer on my 525i
Old 05-19-2008, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 540i
Hwo do I reset my computer on my 1990 525i.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: none
Thanks for this. extremely helpful to those whom would need it.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: 3 Series
Thank you as well. I had no idea that this information was available.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:03 AM

Mein Auto: e92
well i would love to help you in your quest for figuring out the defect codes and as a warranty admin i know i could probably give you all the info if i could view the list. computer issues with pdf files are driving me insane. basically if you are looking to see if the used car you are interested in purchasing is a lemon the codes wont help they are super secret info between the manuf in this case bmw and the owner of the car. but i joined this board since i am frustrated and unable to receive help from bmw (no more calls just emails to a random warranty address) maybe joining will allow me to help people (technicians) understand what we warranty adm bitches deal with daily

00 warranty repairs
mp maint plan

note you want alot of mp claims that means the owner maintained the vehicle as required under the free 4/50 plan standard for almost a decade now so hope that helps
Old 05-14-2009, 12:19 AM
There and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3myjob View Post
[...]the codes wont help they are super secret info between the manuf in this case bmw and the owner of the car.
Reminder - you can go to http://www.tmk.com/defect-form and simply paste in your defect codes to have them decoded for you. The tool currently has complete decoding for 35,495 unique defect codes. There were 366 codes entered that it was unable to partially or completely decode in the slightly more than 3 years the tool has been in operation. Some of the undecoded codes were probably gibberish or test values.

Unfortunately, BMW changed the data format on the KSD and it doesn't seem possible to export the files to my application. If I get bored I'll run the 366 unknown codes through the latest KSD and see if it can decode them, and if it can I'll add them to my database.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:42 PM
My Own Worst Enemy

Mein Auto: 1993 325i BMW (red)
sorta have a question, whats the big deal about the codes? and what not, sorry I am new at this lol
Old 05-30-2009, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 525xi
Hey everyone I am new here but found this site with a bunch of defect codes, cananyone tell me if it is a accurate site? http://www.euroteknik.com/forum/bmw-...ect-codes.html

The codes seem to match up with the ones on my service report.

That brings me to my next question , should I am looking at a 2006 525 XI 50000km. The service codes shows that it had #11120001 -Cylinder head cover Cracked / broken / torn off . Is that someting to be worried about? or is it just the plastic cover?

Last edited by spencer2u; 05-30-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i, 330i
Unhappy BMW 330i Check Engine Soon light and torque converter repair

I am new to these forums as a member, but have browsed and read over the years. It is time to ask a question!
I have a 2001 330i with 216k miles on it...pretty well cared for. The "Engine Soon" light came on in 2008 and it was diagnosed by my local BMW independent mechanic as an issue with the torque converter. The car has 50k miles on it since then and continues to operate very well. I take good care of this car!
However, the CA registration is due, and a smog test is required. I am told the car cannot pass the smog test without the light being reset, and that requires the torque converter repair. The repair is going to cost a lot (I am told $1300+), and I am not very eager to spend that kind of money on a car this old, and with so many miles.
Do I have any other options in order to get this @^#@! light off and pass that smog test?
Old 08-19-2009, 10:48 PM
There and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpcowboy View Post
I have a 2001 330i with 216k miles on it...pretty well cared for. The "Engine Soon" light came on in 2008 and it was diagnosed by my local BMW independent mechanic as an issue with the torque converter. The car has 50k miles on it since then and continues to operate very well. I take good care of this car!
However, the CA registration is due, and a smog test is required. I am told the car cannot pass the smog test without the light being reset, and that requires the torque converter repair. The repair is going to cost a lot (I am told $1300+), and I am not very eager to spend that kind of money on a car this old, and with so many miles.
Do I have any other options in order to get this @^#@! light off and pass that smog test?
An illuminated CEL is an automatic failure in most state inspections these days - they don't bother with the tailpipe test, they just hook up to the OBD port and ask the car if it is compliant. A scan tool can tell you what code(s) are active and also reset the light. I believe Autozone and Advance Auto (and maybe others) will read the codes for you for free. Note that if the underlying condition hasn't been corrected, the light will come back on soon after being reset, and also that clearing the codes will cause the OBD port to report "not ready" to the inspection station until a certain interval (known as "drive cycles") have elapsed - that's to prevent somebody with a tool from clearing the codes while on line for inspection and sneaking through before the light comes back on.

The generic scan tools will report the mandated generic codes. There are also codes specific to BMW which may be reported (but not decoded) by a generic tool, or may not even show up in the generic tool. The BMW shop computers can read these, of course, and fancier aftermarket tools (like the AutoEnginuity one) can display detailed information about the BMW codes (this is an extra-cost option on that tool).

Without knowing what the specific code is (preferably the detailed BMW one), folks here can't really comment on whether $1300 is reasonable or not. It is possible that that is just the worst-case scenario for replacement with a rebuilt unit - BMW considers their transmissions to be sealed, maintenance-free units. In fact, you can't even change the transmission fluid filter without opening the sealed housing. Since you say there is no driveability issue, even 50K miles after the light came on, the problem may just be something like a defective sensor. But the shop won't know until they tear into it, and not all of the component parts are available separately.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
In almost all states you will automatically fail smog inspection with the CEL. Even if you clear the codes the tech that smogs the car will be able to see that it was just recently cleared. This will also automatically fail the test as well.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:27 AM
BMW/Mini SA ~Jax

Mein Auto: Not a Bimmer =( YET!
The codes that have 2 numerics followed by BMZ or a 2-3 letter code are not KSD defect codes. They look more like DMS (Dealer Management System) designations. Those would be for the internal dealership accounting and coding. not BMW
Old 05-14-2010, 08:50 AM
BMW/Mini SA ~Jax

10110106 - Long crank/start time on cold start
10110105 & 10110108 - are also cold start related, but I can't find the cause
10120105 - is hot start related - can't find cause
10320195 - idle speed under all operating conditions. - no cause
10329235 - idle quality under all operating conditions - no cause.

that's all the time I have for now. Back to work!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:25 AM
BMW/Mini SA ~Jax

Radio code

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONDERVANUS View Post
Does anyone have a Radio Code List...
I just bought a BMW 740IL 4 days ago and the radio is missing the decal to get the code to unlock it. Can you tell me if there is any way to bypass this so i can finally listen to some jams.
You need the serial number off of the back of the radio & then call a dealer - they can look up the code, but only with the radio's serial number.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: 06 BMW530xi
Code u112b on a 06 530xi any idea
Old 10-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Bossin' hard

Mein Auto: 2003 330i
Appreciate the list, very useful!