Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-09-2005, 06:48 AM
O.G.

Mein Auto: 2011 MDX, 2001 330xi
I am sure the ZHP is a great car (as all 330i's are), but sometimes you guys are too funny when you start talking about how "exclusive" it is.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i, Toyota Land Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhawk
I've only ever seen 2 other ZHPs since I've been on the lookout for them (a bit less then a year). I really would find it hard to belive that they are any significant portion of 3 series sales. 3 series are expenive enough...most buyers (I would think) are just trying to get their foot in the door (literally) - in buying the most affordable one. And many - if they were to spend their money - might opt for leather and some comfort features (sad i know...) - and I really don't think the ZHP is for everyone (ride is much firmer for one...and the cost factor)...but many BMW drivers are performance orientated (hurray for that!) - I think the much higher then average manual transmission rates certainly speak to that...so I guess its possible...still I haven't seen it on the road. I do see lots of folks doing a double take looking at my car. I think many do mistake it for an M3 (but maybe thats just because of the speeds I drive it! lol). And other BMW drivers certainly seem to show an interest...
Those are good points. I like the fact that the ZHP is somewhat stealth meaning that it doesn't look sooo different from a regular 3 as to stand out. It looks agressive but its obviously not like a high-end sports car or even like a Nission 300ZX, etc. I LOVE the performance (the handling more than the power) and the fact that I have 4 doors is great. I don't think there is a better sports sedan on the market IMO. The 330i also kept my insurance rate surprisingly low. They were only interested in the fact that it was a 330i (hence its a safe car, lots of airbags, DSC, Anti-lock brakes, 4 doors rather than coupe, etc.) and not that it was a performance-oriented sedan that I almost took up on two wheels going around a corner last weekend

Old 02-09-2005, 11:13 AM
Grinning from ear to ear

Mein Auto: is way too fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstream23
Those are good points. I like the fact that the ZHP is somewhat stealth meaning that it doesn't look sooo different from a regular 3 as to stand out. It looks agressive but its obviously not like a high-end sports car or even like a Nission 300ZX, etc. I LOVE the performance (the handling more than the power) and the fact that I have 4 doors is great. I don't think there is a better sports sedan on the market IMO. The 330i also kept my insurance rate surprisingly low. They were only interested in the fact that it was a 330i (hence its a safe car, lots of airbags, DSC, Anti-lock brakes, 4 doors rather than coupe, etc.) and not that it was a performance-oriented sedan that I almost took up on two wheels going around a corner last weekend
I think what Jetstream is saying is, he REALLY REALLY REALLY likes his car
Old 02-09-2005, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderm0n
I am sure the ZHP is a great car (as all 330i's are), but sometimes you guys are too funny when you start talking about how "exclusive" it is.
Well, I didn't start this thread of as a debate of how "exclusive" it is. I do like it because for the people that know about cars, they know it is unique. For those that don't, it doesn't seem too flashy. Ever since I got mine, I've been on the lookout for them. In my neighborhood, I'd say that a good portion of cars on the street are BMWs. But I haven't seen any other ZHPs out there.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
I would like to know what the ratio of ZHP equipped 330's is too. Judging from how many I see on the streets and at the dealerships, compared to non-ZHP equipped cars, I would think the ratio is pretty low. Also, considering that way more 325's are sold than 330's, and that it sounds like only a small percentage of the 330's are built with the ZHP option, that would make the ZHP equipped car fairly rare. However, I don't think rare = exclusive.

I would guess that the price of the option likely scares a lot of buyers away. The option is definitely not intended for all 3 series buyers. Many buyers don't even utilize the performance capabilities of a base 325. Why would they be interested in a few more hp, or a flatter, firmer ride?

There have been many enthusiasts on this site that say the difference in performance is negligible and can easily be achieved with aftermarket modifications. While this is true, I didn't want to buy a brand new $40k car and start replacing parts to make the car meet my specifications. For what I wanted, the ZHP was the best choice since it has most of the parts I would have replaced.

IMHO ZHPs rock! So do 325s, M3s, 525s, 540s, 545s, M5s, etc...., each car has its pro's and con's, and each buyer has different needs. Now let's get out there and drive them, and remember to wave to your fellow driving enthusiasts.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:42 PM
USC Yque

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazachan
Well, I didn't start this thread of as a debate of how "exclusive" it is. I do like it because for the people that know about cars, they know it is unique. For those that don't, it doesn't seem too flashy. Ever since I got mine, I've been on the lookout for them. In my neighborhood, I'd say that a good portion of cars on the street are BMWs. But I haven't seen any other ZHPs out there.
...I do the same here in Los Angeles. I saw my first 330i with the ZHP option in La Jolla, California about four months ago. I've seen two here in Los Angeles proper since then. There are many BMW's but fewer 330i ZHP's.
On a separate note I saw a Z8 several weeks ago on Sunset Blvd. ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s 2004 Silver Gray 330i ZHP 04.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	44341  
Old 02-09-2005, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderm0n
I don't think its any more exclusive than an M3. There are 3 M's in my neighborhood alone and you can get one for $2500 over invoice in Arizona. Don't mistake someone saying that the ZHP is a somewhat unique (only since '03) and certainly different package from a claim that they are exclusive. They're not exclusive. Even better, on this board they are "inclusive"

Last edited by jetstream23; 02-09-2005 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanjs4
I think what Jetstream is saying is, he REALLY REALLY REALLY likes his car

You know me so well, iceman !

By the way, is there a Therapy Forum for people who have slept overnight in their car in the garage during the first month of ownership?...just wondering......its...uhhhh, for a friend who wants to know

Old 02-09-2005, 09:55 PM
Le plaisir de conduire

Send a message via AIM to JAWJr
Mein Auto: All Manuals
I think sleeping in your car during the first month, or, say, the first night, in itself is therapy (by the way I'm guilty). Washing them in the rain, snow, or ice storm would fall under the same category as well, but, let's not go into details. I think we're all just hopelessly in love with our cars.

~Jon

1991 318is | BrilliantRot / Natur ette' | Manual | Fogs | Sunroof

2009 135i Cp | Alpine White / Black Plastic Cow | ZSP | ZPS SOLD

2007 Z4 R 3.0i | Silber Grau / Dream Red | ZSP | 711 | 522 | 494 SOLD

2007 335i Cp | A61 / LCSW | ZPP | ZSP | 322 | 4AS | 609 | 655 SOLD

2005 DINAN 330Ci | Silber Grau / Alacantara | ZHP | ED 12.10.04 SOLD