Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 06-26-2002, 09:49 PM
//m-powered

Mein Auto: 2013 X5M; 2010 535XiT-MSp
Thumbs up MAGNAFLOs IN! Pics and SOUNDBYTES!!! WOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!!!!!

I can't stop yelling over the noise!!!

Sorry -- pics a little out of focus!

Sound while revving...

IDLE to REVVVVVVVVVVVING and takeoff

Sound on turn on...
STARTUP Sound

Sounds are from cockpit with handheld Olympus DSS Voice Recorder.. this is with top down, no radio, in my lap...
(beep= valentine one)

Butt dyno:

OMG! Not only does it sound like you are going faster, there is MUCH LESS HESITATION on full throttle... Turn DSC off and prepare for SHUTTLE LAUNCH.

IT rocks.

Cost: $650 installed
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2002, 12:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW Z3 Coupe
What model of Magnaflow did you purchase? Street or Race series?
Old 06-27-2002, 05:27 AM
//m-powered

14851.. RACE series

http://www.magnaflow.com/03mirrorrace.htm
Old 06-27-2002, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: M Coupe
Thumbs up

What year is your Roadster? I have a 99' M Coupe and have been researching exhausts. The price of $650 is almost the cost of a Catback for a B&B is it not? How was your set up installed?

The tip is another subject that I torment over. I like the dual tip set up. I had a dual DTM Scorpion on the 99' Corrado, which I loved! The straight tip looks nice on the M Coupe. The Corrado was chunky w/ the square lines. The slanted DTM tip really flowed well w/ the body lines. Judging from the Magnaflow site it's does not sell a dual tip in Race version. Bummer. I'll really have to look at your set up to decide if I'd go that route. It reminds me of the Dinan look.

Can you tell me more about the decision w/ Magnaflow? What was it's competition if you don't mind me asking. How did you decide on style/Race Version etc. ?

Thanks!
Zonk

99' M Coupe
Arctic Silver
11,111 miles

New to this board-
Mods: Blue Calipers/ Blue Differential/Leather Z Armrest/Wired Valentine One/Diamond Mesh Grill/00' Chrome Kidney Grills/Clear Sidemarkers/Gray Magnets for the rear

Projects: Exhaust/Chip/Intake/Suspension
Old 06-27-2002, 07:49 PM
//m-powered

ZonK:

2001 M Roadster..

B&B price: (from website) FBMW-0915
M-Roadster/Coupe W/Twin 2.5 Round Tips
$1,065.00
1997 to 2000

I like the DTMs.. I prefer them on Italian cars. I like the large 4" single-Dinan-style-but-looks-better-than-Dinan system. It was either Magnas or Borla. I would rather pay $650 for a set of mufflers than $1100 for SS, Eisenhaus, B&B. Dinan are much more $$$ and look like crap. The ACS exhaust I do not find pleasant-looking.

There are no DTM or dual tips in the race series. I wanted a racing muffler, that acts and looks like one... I have mulled over this for a while, and selected the Magnas because of performance AND the single aggressive tip. I don't like to be "one of the group" if you know what I mean!

Set up was installed with custom bent pipe, etc. and replaces the factory mufflers from aft of the H pipe back.

Stock exhaust hookup:

The install I wanted required the flanges to be cut off. Many people will object to this because its not plug and play. I however still counter that it is plug and play. You just have to unplug from the cat-back flange including the H pipe to the end, and switch it with someone who owns the stock mufflers. I do not know why anyone would want the stock system. Each muffler and pipe weighs almost 50 lbs, and has the famous "crimp".

I have modified the stereo, alarm, speakers, etc., and who am I kidding? If I lose some cash on a trade-in, so what? This is a high performance car, and I think I'd sell it before trading it in. To someone who appreciates it, that is!!

Old 06-27-2002, 08:06 PM

Smile Exhaust

Thanks for the input and picts! Great response and excellent choice after reading your reply. I respect a person that knows what they want in a car. I learned the wrong way w/ my 92' Corrado in which I spent about $15-18K on top of the car doing repeat mods.

Was the plumbing for the exhaust also done in stainless? Did you know before the install about doing this extra exhaust work or did you know to do it previously. I'm not sure the S52 shares the same exhaust design. More importantly was the piping mandrel bent? I know about the crimped design w/ the S52.

I grew up in Michigan and moved have lived in Atlanta over one year now due to career changes. Love Chicago! Great city. Actually flew up to Midway- took an Amtrak to Milwaukee to pick up the M Coupe about 14 months ago.

Thanks Again!
Zonk

P's What's your call name?
Old 06-27-2002, 08:16 PM
//m-powered

Talking

the stock pipes are not stainless..... the mufflers are.....

therefore, i chose not to go stainless for the pipes for 2 major reasons:

1) stainless does not bend well.. (its better to cast it... )

2) the extra $$$ does not guarantee it will bend well.......

hence.......

no stainless!!

uhhhh what's a call name?
Old 06-27-2002, 08:38 PM

Magnaflow

Call name is what you go by in terms of name on a forum- Mine is Zonk (nickname from my last name) It also is similiar to my email address: Zoncatoy@aol.com

Zoncatoy was acquired from an article in VW Trends done on my 92' Corrado called 'Zoncatoy'. It rhymes w/Tonkatoy.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:41 PM
//m-powered

zonk--

i usually go by my first name, even in a forum! its drex!