Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Smile Another SES victim

Own 2003 325i 5sp with less than 20K on the odometer. Going to work this morning everything was fine. On the way home I got Service Engine Soon. Engine runs very rough at all speeds especially when one attempts to accelerate. Feels like not all cylinders are firing. I can also smell unburned fuel. The problem persists even though I disconnected the battery for a while, kicked the tires, played with the fuel cap, drove it around, washed it and other desperate voodoo stuff.

I'll call the dealer and try to get it in asap. But the nearest dealer is 75 miles away.

Should I drive it there or not?

This is my first mechanical/electrical problem. Hope it's the last.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and sympathy.

Michael

Last edited by tsatsom; 02-10-2005 at 01:03 AM.
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2005, 10:33 PM

Mein Auto: '05 330i ZHP

I've read so many of these posts that I'm wondering why there isn't a class action suit against sh!tty engine design/manufacturing. This is absurd given what we expect out of our hard earned $.

Sounds like you tried it, but it doesn't go away when you haven't driven the car for more than 1 day? You might want to call your dealer and ask them; if the car is under warranty I wonder if they might come out and tow it there?

Good luck, let us know how it gets resolved.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:46 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
Sounds like a bad coil. Anyways, BMW is not the only car manufacturer with SES lights coming on...I've heard that this is happening with all the later models after the mandate to lower emissions. My light came on (at 2000 miles) and was traced to some foreign particle impeding the themostat sensor.
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Old 02-08-2005, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: '03 325i, '88 325iC
Coil pack (or two, or six). Limp it to the dealer and they will fix it quick.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW M3
if you have a 03 and up you have full coverage on the car. I would have the dealer come and tow the car
Old 02-08-2005, 08:18 AM
Livin' like Larry!

Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcus
if you have a 03 and up you have full coverage on the car. I would have the dealer come and tow the car

Had our 525iT towed for the same reason the other day... BMW Roadside Service was fast and efficient, no muss no fuss... Although you'll need to figure out how to get back to the dealer to get your car back... Personally, I would not drive it that distance (I chose not to drive the 35 miles to my dealer) because all of that unburnt fuel would probably not be good for your catalytic convertor... Just a guess...
Old 02-08-2005, 09:11 AM
Stick Drive

Mein Auto: 330i, 911E, UZJ100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvator

Had our 525iT towed for the same reason the other day... BMW Roadside Service was fast and efficient, no muss no fuss... Although you'll need to figure out how to get back to the dealer to get your car back... Personally, I would not drive it that distance (I chose not to drive the 35 miles to my dealer) because all of that unburnt fuel would probably not be good for your catalytic convertor... Just a guess...
I agree; have BMW tow your car. I made the dealer give me a car as well so I would not have to worry about getting back. It's not like you caused this to happen
Old 02-08-2005, 10:08 AM

Send a message via MSN to icky
Mein Auto: 2006 325xi
I have had this happen to me twice.

Saturday morning I started my car, it died on me twice (It usually dies on me once after I start it when its really cold outside), then it finally started and it was idling really rough and felt like it had no power. I figured it had something to do with the fact it was some ungodly negative cold degree outside and I didn't let it warm up as I was just driving a block or two to McDonalds and back . However, the SES light did not come on.

Monday morning I started my car and the same thing happened as I was backing out of the garage, except this time the SES light came on. I turned the car off, and turned it back on and it was fine.

I figured that it may have been caused due to condesation in the gas tank, or perhaps my car just wants more than 90 Octane, which unfortunately is all that is available in my great city.

I figure I will talk to my service department about it when i take my car in to get a Windshield Fluid leak fixed. They have been surprisingly knowledgable and helpful to me.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icky
I figured it had something to do with the fact it was some ungodly negative cold degree outside and I didn't let it warm up as I was just driving a block or two to McDonalds and back .
Yum. McDonald's and BMWs, two of my favorite things. I respect people who can enjoy life in both luxurious and simplistic ways
Just don't eat in the car
Old 02-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Psych-oh!

Send a message via AIM to wmndriver Send a message via Yahoo to wmndriver
Mein Auto: 07 e92 328XI
Just brought my car in for the same thing (service engine soon light on). When checked, a fault cod 001/239 was present, indicating a rough idle at some point. They replaced all of the ignition coils. Seems to be running great now.

Old 02-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Livin' like Larry!

Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktc
Yum. McDonald's and BMWs, two of my favorite things. I respect people who can enjoy life in both luxurious and simplistic ways
ATE McDonald's food in my car last night (had to feed Child #1 on the way to taking Child #2 to the hospital)... Car still STANK this morning like McDonald's... Even Child #1 noticed...
Old 02-08-2005, 10:40 AM

Send a message via MSN to icky
Mein Auto: 2006 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktc
ohh yes no eating in the car!
Old 02-08-2005, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claresecl
Just brought my car in for the same thing (service engine soon light on). When checked, a fault cod 001/239 was present, indicating a rough idle at some point. They replaced all of the ignition coils. Seems to be running great now.
In cases like this, was the rough idling chronic (constant and reproducible)? I have a feeling that various cases (like my car) the event was a 1-time here and there, and it wasn't enough for BMW to switch those components out. They are waiting until it gets bad.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icky
ohh yes no eating in the car!
The black trim really shows oil marks REALLY well. Right under the radio you can probably get a nice oil imprint of a hashbrown or sausage mcmuffin if you're not careful.

Never knew that a black interior was so prone to show dirt.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Psych-oh!

Send a message via AIM to wmndriver Send a message via Yahoo to wmndriver
Mein Auto: 07 e92 328XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktc
In cases like this, was the rough idling chronic (constant and reproducible)? I have a feeling that various cases (like my car) the event was a 1-time here and there, and it wasn't enough for BMW to switch those components out. They are waiting until it gets bad.
Mine was a problem that was variable and impossible to replicate. I had an appointment to bring it in for its 15k service today, and the Service Engine Soon light started coming on last week. It would stay on for a day and turn off for a day.... Fortunately, when I brought the car in this morning, the light was on. They checked for faults, found it, and replaced the coils. My SA said that there is a new bulletin out on this issue.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Update: 2 bad ignition coils

I called roadside assistance. Within an hour my car was loaded on a flatbed and on its way to the dealer (hour and a half away). Couple hours after that service dept called: 2 ignition coils were bad. All 6 were replaced. Car was ready. I picked it up this morning. Works great.

I talked to the mechanic who worked on my car. He said one of the coils was completely gone and a second one was going bad. They have a TSB to replace all of them. The replacement part is upgraded and so no more trouble is likely. He also said this has been a problem almost unique to the 3 series.

Anyway, I was impressed by roadside assistance/service. I am not impressed by the occurence (and apparent frequency) of this problem.

Thank you all for your input!

Michael
Old 02-10-2005, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: '03 325i, '88 325iC
Quote:
He also said this has been a problem almost unique to the 3 series.
It is unique to the German makes. I know of people who have Audis and VWs that have had the same failures, and the coils come from either Bosch or Bremi. My dealer swapped them out in about one hour, and the tech said that they are doing several jobs a week.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:20 AM
It's all good!

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
I finally got my SES light taken care of too. For the past two months the light would come on for about a day and then go off. Finally it went on again yesterday so I took it right to the dealer. They checked it out and it was the thermostat that was sticking open periodically. Gave me a car, fixed it yesterday afternoon and had my car back at 5:00pm.