Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series

5 Series
Ask questions and discuss the 5 Series here. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 02-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 525i 1993
Replacing Smog Pump/Secondary Air Pump - DIY?

I had my car in for an oil change and inspection to see what needs to be done before I sell it. It turns out that my smog pump needs replacing (it makes a whine on cold starting that sounds like a hyena being eaten by a vacuum cleaner). It's more of an annoyance than something critical, but I'd like to fix it. The p&l estimate is $411.

Does anyone know if there is a DIY procedure for this or is it pretty involved?

*** SOLD *** (pics of my E34 to be posted soon)
1999 540i 6-speed
Dinan CAI/Stage II Software
Xenon Headlights
M-Technik Rear Bumper
CDV Delete
Clear Front/Side Blinkers
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2005, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: 08 535 / 00 M5 / 91 M5
if it's the same as the unit on the M5, it's located up under the bumper cover on the passenger side, and comes out with 3 bolts, a couple of hose clamps and an electrical connector. A bit awkwardly located, unless you remove the bumper cover (which is pretty easy too), but certainly diy-able
Mike
Old 02-08-2005, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: 525i 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by mottati
if it's the same as the unit on the M5, it's located up under the bumper cover on the passenger side, and comes out with 3 bolts, a couple of hose clamps and an electrical connector. A bit awkwardly located, unless you remove the bumper cover (which is pretty easy too), but certainly diy-able
Mike
Thanks a bunch! That location explains why I thought it was the CAI at first. I have experience with removing the bumper cover from changing the intake filter. Have you done this before and do you know where there are any pics of the pump? If not, I guess I could figure it out since I would be ordering the new one first.

*** SOLD *** (pics of my E34 to be posted soon)
1999 540i 6-speed
Dinan CAI/Stage II Software
Xenon Headlights
M-Technik Rear Bumper
CDV Delete
Clear Front/Side Blinkers
Old 02-08-2005, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 08 535 / 00 M5 / 91 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettInLJ
Thanks a bunch! That location explains why I thought it was the CAI at first. I have experience with removing the bumper cover from changing the intake filter. Have you done this before and do you know where there are any pics of the pump? If not, I guess I could figure it out since I would be ordering the new one first.
I've removed mine before because installing the dinan cai on the m5 requires a minor relocation of the smog pump (mine is getting noisy too). I didn't take any pics, and haven't seen any on the net, but you can't miss it...
Mike