Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-08-2005, 04:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to LWL
Mein Auto: E90 330i
People have ordered or plan to order E90

How many of you have ordered E90 or planned to order your E90 with Nav?? Its really attractive to have the Nav because of the big differences in the interior design, but money is a factor after adding other options. I wonder if it would be harder to sale the car later on without Nav. What do you guys suggest?
Old 02-08-2005, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
I'll never buy another new car without nav, unless I suddenly hit the lottery and have money for exotic track-only cars.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:03 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
I'll buy NAV when it's less than $29.95 and is faster than me flipping through a Thomas Guide.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: '10 E92 M3, '97 332ti
E90 build slot, but no US ED allocations are to be definitively released until April, for early May delivery. I'm doing a late May 330i ED with nav.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Le fabuleux destin

Mein Auto: F30 328i x two
Definitely buying the nav, but not for the reason that you might think....

Being a developer of software apps, I think the most important reason to get the nav is for the screen and controller. Now before you all start in with your "but this is a driving machine" and "iDrive sux" let me explain.

Besides features like the Bluetooth phone and stereo displaying better with the big screen, I think this is the first car that you will buy that will have important software feature upgrades during the time you own it. Like your computer.

For instance, in a year from now expect to be offered live traffic data through the nav system and the ability to upload your computer address book through the BMW website into the cars phonebook. Sounds good right? But these are the kind of features for which you will want to have the big screen and the iDrive controller.

Want more? Sure. How about iPodYourBMW Version 2 with playlist and song selection through the dash. Of course this will be a lot easier with...you guessed it, a big screen and iDrive controller.

Now you may think that I am completely off my rocker and just making this stuff up. But this is all stuff that has already been announced. Steve Jobs let it slip about the iPod V2 and the german version of the e90 already includes the traffic and address upload options. What really excites me are the features that come after those which we have not heard of. What can they dream up next??
Old 02-08-2005, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blax
Definitely buying the nav, but not for the reason that you might think....
I highly doubt that the UI or software version will be any different than the e60's. Also, the cd player on the nav equipped cars will not even read an MP3 disc, as the non-nav cars will. This is already announced.

My sole reason for even getting NAV is because of the look of the dash with only one hump. Even with the nav pod, the dash is not as nice looking as the E46's. I'm hoping I'll warm up to it more. I am really diggin' the terra interior though.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5; 2006 330 ordered
The Nav (if you order the car with the BMW Assist option along with it) allows you to import your phone numbers from your bluetooth phone and then use the steering wheel controls to select from the imported numbers that show up on the Nav screen and then dial. All without touching the phone.
So, I ordered it.

Last edited by ebikinis; 02-08-2005 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: is covered with salt
The only reason I would use the Nav is if I got my E90 via Euro delivery. Then it would come in useful on the trip. But otherwise...I drive pretty much the same routes every day and it's not worth it. I can drive to work and back in my sleep...heck, sometimes I do!

I will be leasing though. If I were buying, I'd probably get Nav for the resale value at the end, since Nav will only become more prevalent.

LarryN - how did you get a build slot? Did you put down a deposit? My local dealer doesn't know jack about the ED program as of last weekend, despite the fact that I hound him for information.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryN
I highly doubt that the UI or software version will be any different than the e60's. Also, the cd player on the nav equipped cars will not even read an MP3 disc, as the non-nav cars will. This is already announced.

My sole reason for even getting NAV is because of the look of the dash with only one hump. Even with the nav pod, the dash is not as nice looking as the E46's. I'm hoping I'll warm up to it more. I am really diggin' the terra interior though.
Interesting-- I ddin't think anyone actually preferred the two-hump look. If I were getting an e90, I'd want the nav, but would be discouraged due to my dislike of hte 2 hump dash. I also wish that the nav version had a regular radio faceplate so that "normal" radio functions could be hnalded w/o i-drive.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imokruok
LarryN - how did you get a build slot? Did you put down a deposit? My local dealer doesn't know jack about the ED program as of last weekend, despite the fact that I hound him for information.
I was able to negotiate a deal with the dealer, using the floating ED list price as the starting marker (since no pricing info has been released yet). He has been in contact with BMWNA's ED department, and has been told that no ED slots are available to announced until April, for starting in early May delivery. However, he's got my deposit and tentative options list. He's just waiting for those dates to be released, and will submit my ED order at that time, I guess. I'm looking at a tentative May 24th or 25th delivery. The factory is on holiday on the 26th and 27th (Thursday and Friday), from what I understand.

I have an appointment with him for Saturday to go over some more details. I'm not sure he can give me many more, but it's worth asking! If I get any new info, I'll post it.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i-Sport
LarryN:
I'm curious to know who your dealer is. I'm in Brockton, and when I've mentioned ED to a couple of dealers, they got disinterested all of a sudden. I have also sent e-mail inquiries to 2 other dealers, and they haven't even responded. Are you working with an area BMW Center, or someone out of state? Thanks for any help with this. PhilT
Old 02-09-2005, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg
Interesting-- I ddin't think anyone actually preferred the two-hump look. If I were getting an e90, I'd want the nav, but would be discouraged due to my dislike of hte 2 hump dash. I also wish that the nav version had a regular radio faceplate so that "normal" radio functions could be hnalded w/o i-drive.
I guess I just don't like the "slab" look of the single hump dash. There is nothing to separate the dash from the first cowl all teh way to the passenger door. In teh E46, the middle control stack breaks that space up, plus there is that crease after the middle controls, so that the glove compartment is one part of a three segmented dash. Personal preference, I guess. The e90 non-nav dash seems to have the center controls tucked under the dash slab, making it look even more slab-like to me.

Also, the radio controls that I use 95% of the time are on the steering wheel. So, that's not really a problem for me.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:01 AM
Le fabuleux destin

Mein Auto: F30 328i x two
Quote:

I don't think the UI or the software will be different from the e60, but I think they will both continue to have new features you can purchase for which the screen and controller will be needed.

BTW, why is MP3 CD playing important? I assume that if you are hip enough to make an MP3 CD, you have a portable player and will just plug that into the car instead...no? Personally I'd prefer to use my 10000 song ipod than a 100 song MP3 CD. Just curious.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blax
I don't think the UI or the software will be different from the e60, but I think they will both continue to have new features you can purchase for which the screen and controller will be needed.

BTW, why is MP3 CD playing important? I assume that if you are hip enough to make an MP3 CD, you have a portable player and will just plug that into the car instead...no? Personally I'd prefer to use my 10000 song ipod than a 100 song MP3 CD. Just curious.
Me? Hip? You have me confused with somebody else.

I have an MP3 player, but the aux in doesn't do any track forwarding or have any car UI to display anything, and only would be able to do volume, unless you buy an aftermarket adapter. I'd rather have 3 or 4 MP3 cdrs with different moods on them, in lieu of using the aux input.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i-Sport
Question re: your ED dealer

Quote:
Me? Hip? You have me confused with somebody else.

I have an MP3 player, but the aux in doesn't do any track forwarding or have any car UI to display anything, and only would be able to do volume, unless you buy an aftermarket adapter. I'd rather have 3 or 4 MP3 cdrs with different moods on them, in lieu of using the aux input.

LarryN:
I'm new to bimmerfest and trying to figure out forum posting. I'm a little slow on the uptake so please bear with me. Can you respond to my previous post in this thread (#12) concerning a dealer recommendation? Thanks. pjt
Old 02-09-2005, 09:31 AM
TD

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz
I'll buy NAV when it's less than $29.95 and is faster than me flipping through a Thomas Guide.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt
LarryN:
I'm new to bimmerfest and trying to figure out forum posting. I'm a little slow on the uptake so please bear with me. Can you respond to my previous post in this thread (#12) concerning a dealer recommendation? Thanks. pjt
I responded to you in a private message, earlier. Click on the Private Message link in the upper right hand corner of this screen.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:39 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hecklerz
Mein Auto: '07 E90 328i
When my other car lease is up in 8 months, what ever BMW I end up getting (E90-3, 5 or X5) will definitely have NAV.

NAV is becoming just another necessary component/technology in cars, like ABS and I would think Bluetooth will be one of the next. Just my $.02....

**Looking for an E39 540, 530 or X5

----------

Retired:

*2006 E90 325i- Ti-Silver Metallic, Black leather, Heated seats 6Sp Step. , ZPP, ZSP, NAV, Adapt.-Xenon, BT to iPhone

*2004 E46 325i- Silver Grey Metallic, Black Leather- heated, 6sp Step. , ZSP, ZPP, Xenon, Nav- V.26, BT to Blackberry
Old 02-09-2005, 09:40 AM
TD

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hecklerz
When my other car lease is up in 8 months, what ever BMW I end up getting (E90-3, 5 or X5) will definitely have NAV.

NAV is becoming just another necessary component/technology in cars, like ABS and I would think Bluetooth will be one of the next. Just my $.02....
I just don't understand how those can be seen as "necessary" technologies by any stretch of the imagination. Well *maybe* ABS. But NAV and Bluetooth? Why? I can't imagine needing them. Ever.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
I admit that I really like Nav systems. I have a portable one now that I find invaluable-- I use it all the time. But, I have one of the world's worst sense of directions. Its also fun to just "get lost" on some back roads, and then have the nav system tell you how to get out. Would I spend $1500 or $2k for this? probably not. I spent about $700 on my current portable one. A lot of money? Yes-- but for me, it was worth it.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz
I hope you don't flip through map books while driving.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant
I hope you don't flip through map books while driving.
Or trust my wife to do that task for you.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Or trust my wife to do that task for you.
Or mine actually. NAV systems are great for marital harmony.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant
Or mine actually. NAV systems are great for marital harmony.
Amen, brother. What is it about ovaries that destroys any semblance of map-reading abilities, and causes the afflicted to not realize or accept their incompetence?

"There's no 405 on this map."

"Of course there is."

"No, there isn't. I'm telling you, the 405 is not on this map."

"Of course it is. It's a map of Los Angeles."

"Are you calling me stupid?"

[there is no right answer to that question... must just pull over and read the map yourself.]
Old 02-12-2005, 03:30 PM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
[there is no right answer to that question... must just pull over and read the map yourself.]