Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Pure Natural BMW Muscle!

Mein Auto: 320CiC
What brand of Paint does BMW use?

I just got back from main (s) dealer. Price quote was $800 for re-painting the 2 doors and the hood. That is very expensive here.
I got a quote from the TOYOTA paint shop, a real good trusted paint shop, for half the price.

Problem is, I am afraid that the paint they will use wont match exactly the Cosmos Black Metallic paint. I am thinking of guiding them to the brand/code BMW uses, in order to diminish any possibility of colour mismatch.

So, any info on the brand/code of the CosmosSwartz metallic????

Old 02-09-2005, 10:44 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Sorry, don't know your answer, but, paint matching is a whole art unto itself, IMO. Even when they use the same paint you're never sure how good it will look. Then you have the problem where the clearcoat look may not match panel to panel as far as shine level, etc. Good luck!

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 02-09-2005, 10:47 AM
Pure Natural BMW Muscle!

Just found it. Glasurit paint.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty_Cent
I just got back from main (s) dealer. Price quote was $800 for re-painting the 2 doors and the hood. That is very expensive here.
I got a quote from the TOYOTA paint shop, a real good trusted paint shop, for half the price.

Problem is, I am afraid that the paint they will use wont match exactly the Cosmos Black Metallic paint. I am thinking of guiding them to the brand/code BMW uses, in order to diminish any possibility of colour mismatch.

So, any info on the brand/code of the CosmosSwartz metallic????

I had a front bumper painted last year, and the body shop owner, who I've known for 20 years, said a pint cost about $60. I have the can at home and will post the code later.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:43 AM
Pure Natural BMW Muscle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgicoupe
I had a front bumper painted last year, and the body shop owner, who I've known for 20 years, said a pint cost about $60. I have the can at home and will post the code later.
Thanks man, that would be really helpful.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Missing

Mein Auto: 2003 330i SP 6sp
They will have to color match the paint regardless of whether they use OEM paint. The paint needs to be matched to account for fading and variations in color lots.

I'm SteveM and I approve this post.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Pure Natural BMW Muscle!

Check this out:

www.glasuritnet.com/cgi-bin/ConlineFrm1.pl?MFR=BMW&LANG=E
Old 02-09-2005, 12:13 PM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM
They will have to color match the paint regardless of whether they use OEM paint. The paint needs to be matched to account for fading and variations in color lots.
Not to mention the metal flake

AND they will have to blend into adjacent panels, did both quotes account for this?
Old 02-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Pure Natural BMW Muscle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
Not to mention the metal flake

AND they will have to blend into adjacent panels, did both quotes account for this?
Yes it did.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Missing

Mein Auto: 2003 330i SP 6sp
My previous car suffered damage to the driver door and quarter panel aft of the door, requiring significant repair. The car was metallic silver and the paint was nearly 6 years old at the time. The body shop repainted the entire driver side of the car. I couldn't tell which was original and which was respray when they finished. I suspect it was mostly because the adjacent unpainted areas were pretty far apart (since the entire side was repainted).

It's probably a good idea to at least start with OEM paint.

I'm SteveM and I approve this post.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M Coupe
Quote:
Thanks man, that would be really helpful.
The paint is fromm PPG, DBU9949, HAEMATIT MET, for OE****.

Like othersw have said, the skill of the mixer and the painter play a big part.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW+911+old iron=headache
Most of it is the guy doing the work. Fortunately black is an easy match.

Paint brand isn't as much of an issue down the road as is age pertaining to fading - that's the problem when you blend old and new, esp. with older, non-clearcoated cars. Funny watching how some cars over time start to show light and dark spots.

Concerning brand, it'll probably be the same base - clear the car presently has just to ensure a proper match - Glasurit. Clears have a tint you can notice between different brands, if they're into making life difficult they'll use something else.

Believe me, the same guy that shoots a Toyota today is probably the same guy that did your BMW yesterday.

rjp

Randy in Seattle
(no, the other one....)

81 COUPE +

2002 530 I SPORT

2000 328CI (sold!)

1970 PONTIAC LEMANS SPORT
(Under construction)
1978 Chevy Malibu Coupe'
P-CARONLINE.COM
Old 02-10-2005, 06:23 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
FWIW, Glasurit is VERY expensive paint. It is also very durable.

I had my MG painted by the local BMW painter using Glasurit "21 Line". The paint/primers/hardeners/consumables alone ran about $1000.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:08 AM
Pure Natural BMW Muscle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott ZHP
FWIW, Glasurit is VERY expensive paint. It is also very durable.

I had my MG painted by the local BMW painter using Glasurit "21 Line". The paint/primers/hardeners/consumables alone ran about $1000.
Yeap, that's what I ve heard. I just visited another(yes another) paint shop that uses only Glasurit paint.
It was a big paintshop, but dirty. I am afraid that a dirty shop means alot of imperfections on my paint.

I am thinking of buying the Glasurit paint and clear coat, and then taking it to the TOYOTA bodyshop (which is tried and tested) to do the work. What worries me is that the shiny clear coat that my car has wont look as shiny with another paint brand, and over time, it will fade unevenly compared with the rest of the car.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:16 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
Yeap, that's what I ve heard. I just visited another(yes another) paint shop that uses only Glasurit paint.
It was a big paintshop, but dirty. I am afraid that a dirty shop means alot of imperfections on my paint. .
Not necessarily. Any reputable shop will use a megabuck downdraft booth. In some states it must be located in a seperate building. Look at some of their finished work or ask for references.

Quote:
I am thinking of buying the Glasurit paint and clear coat, and then taking it to the TOYOTA bodyshop (which is tried and tested) to do the work. What worries me is that the shiny clear coat that my car has wont look as shiny with another paint brand, and over time, it will fade unevenly compared with the rest of the car.
I would not recommend this. Painters generally familiarize theselves with one company's paint line and stay with it. Do you really want to be someone's guinea pig? Even if you found a painter willing to do it, Glasurit makes several different lines, and within each, there are different options. For example, their hardeners/activators vary by temperature - which one are you going to buy? You get the point.