Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

View Poll Results: Favorite ZHP feature
10HP & 8 ft/lb of torque & 6800 redline 16 16.16%
Style M 135 18" wheels 15 15.15%
3.07:1 differential 2 2.02%
MTech spoilers 23 23.23%
Black Cube or Silver Cube trim 3 3.03%
M alcantra steering wheel 4 4.04%
Alcantra & Cloth interior 14 14.14%
M suspension 22 22.22%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2005, 11:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i, Toyota Land Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanjs4
........My only beef with the ZHP is that you have to get Alcantara on the M-wheel. It would have been nice if they offered a regular M-wheel for those who opted for leather interiors..........
The funny thing is that if you buy an M3 you get the leather M steering wheel. If you buy the M3 with the ZCP Competition Package (CSL wheels, cross-drilled brakes, etc.) you get....drum roll.....the "upgraded" Alcantara steering wheel.

Amazing that the Alcantara wheel is only available on an M3 with ZCP and the 330 ZHP.

Old 02-11-2005, 02:10 AM
It's Highly Addictive!

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan
I could do without the cube trim, but interestingly this was the FIRST thing Mrs. Wingspan remarked on when she got in the car...?

But what do I know...
Chicks dig the cube trim. Mine's black on black cloth, and the trim still gets compliments (poo poo for you black cube haters ).

My favorite feature is the overall look: aero package, wheels, lip spoiler, and high-gloss shadowline trim, cube trim, black headliner, red needles... A ZHP 3 is sexy from all angles.

After you sit inside, looks aren't a factor anymore, but the feel is sexy from all angles. The growl-purr on start, the shifter, the meaty Alcantara wheel, the roar from a downshift into second, the push back from the acceleration in the power band, the confident pull from the brakes and tires, the left-turn you crisply carved under yellow...

At this point, most ZHP owners aren't thinking about the price. I wish so many more purchases would make me feel as good as getting the ZHP package.

But geez, I don't know how much more or how many more ways the Performance Package can be criticized. Who are you critics trying to convince?

2004 330i 6MT · performance package · silver gray · alcantara/cloth · black cube · xenons · pdc · aux audio
Old 02-11-2005, 05:32 AM

Mein Auto: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizat63
If the 2.5L engine gets the same fuel economy as the 3.0L, why even build it?
Insurance, mainly, and for tax systems that penalise on cubic capacity. That, and the ingrained positioning of premium compact-exec-type cars in the European market. I assume BMW has done a better job this time of splitting the detuned 2.5, 2.5 and 3.0 on emissions and economy, since the previous 2.2/2.5/3.0 range were very similar in these respects.
Quote:
Does the 3.0L engine actually cost more to engineer and mfg than the 2.5L? It would be cheaper to engineer and offer 1 engine as in the TL and G35.
Both of those cars are sold in only a handful of markets. As to the marginal cost between the 2.5 and 3.0, I have no idea - the new 3.0 appears to have a more complex intake mechanism but I would imagine the new 2.5 shares that.
Quote:
It's all about marketing.
I think it often is when you have different capacity versions of the same engine.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: 97 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
Upgraded? Is the M-Tech bumper "better" or more expensive to produce? Is the shorter shift lever made from solid gold? Is the exhaust better just because it's louder? Are the wheels better because they're an inch taller?

The only feature of the performance package that unquestionably improves performance, are the tires.
You are so right! We are all misguided fools, now please leave and let us enjoy this thread
Old 02-11-2005, 06:07 AM
takes the long way home..

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
ding ding ding!!! We have a winner! Now apply this to the two 330 sport packages, and you've got it figured out.

So have we settled this nonsensical argument once and for all......?????

If the Israelis and Palestinians can agree on a truce.... maybe we can too?

Old 02-11-2005, 06:28 AM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderato
Why isn't anyone voting for the cube trim?

The cube trim, Alcantara wheel/shift boot/brake handle, the 18's (nice to look at but hard to clean and too heavy) are the reasons why I didn't get the ZHP package. I really don't understand why you can't get wood or brushed aluminum, an M3 leather wheel/shift boot/brake handle and a lighter set of wheels. Why do I have to take those? Sure I could've changed this stuff but it would of cost 1K+ more to do so and I just didn't feel like changing all this stuff on a brand new 40K+ car. But I miss out on not getting the other features of the ZHP. I wish I could've optioned my car exactly the way I did, but got the 3.07 diff, 235HP cams, suspension & exhaust upgrades, and the anthracite headliner. Couldn't they have separated these into 2 packages with the above items being performance and then having the other cosmetic stuff in an apperance package or something?
Old 02-11-2005, 07:45 AM
**** Yeah

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci
Quote:
The cube trim, Alcantara wheel/shift boot/brake handle, the 18's (nice to look at but hard to clean and too heavy) are the reasons why I didn't get the ZHP package. I really don't understand why you can't get wood or brushed aluminum, an M3 leather wheel/shift boot/brake handle and a lighter set of wheels. Why do I have to take those? Sure I could've changed this stuff but it would of cost 1K+ more to do so and I just didn't feel like changing all this stuff on a brand new 40K+ car. But I miss out on not getting the other features of the ZHP. I wish I could've optioned my car exactly the way I did, but got the 3.07 diff, 235HP cams, suspension & exhaust upgrades, and the anthracite headliner. Couldn't they have separated these into 2 packages with the above items being performance and then having the other cosmetic stuff in an apperance package or something?
other than the 10 extra horses and the mtecII, i hated the ZHP and went for a Ci, i think the alcantra/cloth 2 tone seats look like ass, as does the cube trim, the cube trim looks like wanna-be-boy-racer-overdone-carbon-fiber... i too wish it was available piecemeal...
Old 02-11-2005, 08:53 AM
Nerd

Mein Auto: ist alt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon
other than the 10 extra horses and the mtecII, i hated the ZHP and went for a Ci, i think the alcantra/cloth 2 tone seats look like ass, as does the cube trim, the cube trim looks like wanna-be-boy-racer-overdone-carbon-fiber... i too wish it was available piecemeal...
This is going to be good.

Anyway... since we seem to have some good BMW researchers in here. My dealer could never give me a good answer on what the sport package did for the suspension on the 330i. The 325i is clear, but doesn't the 330i (vanilla) come with a sport suspension already? Does adding the ZSP change the suspension of a 330i any? I understand it changes tires, steering wheel, and seats. Anything else?
Old 02-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Nerd

Mein Auto: ist alt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
SP suspension is the same as base 330i suspension.
Thanks. I bet that's why the salesperson was rather evasive about it.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330ci ZHP, 1998 986
My favorite has to be the Alcantara/cloth. The non-Nappa-leather is just blech. The wife and I are trading in an '02 with it, and while it holds up well and looks fine, it's nothing special at all. And when you start slip-n-sliding on your seat in the corners it gets annoying real quick.

Not to mention that EVERY BMW in town has leather. Or leatherette (which looks nearly identical).

I would've paid an EXTRA $1000 for this package on my car, it's that damn good. I think a lot of it, though, is that I went all-out-balls-to-the-wall and built a car that emphasized the package. '05 330ci, Imola Red, black cube.

Imola on a coupe with the clear lenses, aero kit, wheels, and lower suspension instantly says "this is a serious car -- NOT your everyday BMW". Many people, when they see the back, say: "whoa - I thought it was an M at first". Open the door, and the cube trim and lack of leather says "I'm DEFINITELY different than every other BMW in town." Many people (particularly women) comment about how they like the cube.

The suspension rips. The wife and I car coming off a 325ci, and the suspension differences are noticable. The wheels are heavy, though, but fortunately the roads I travel on are mostly in fantastic condition. Oh, and since my extra cash for ZHP got me Michelin Pilot Sports I'm even happier.

Short shifter - great. Yeah, it's not a true shift kit, but at the end of the day the throws are shorter and that's all that matters.

More power? Sure. Shorter gearing? Gimme. Is it all a wash because of the wheels? Don't know, but it's fast as hell and sounds great.

In short it looks good, sounds good and feels good. And due to the crazy great-deal financing going on with 330ci's when I got it I would be paying nearly DOUBLE my payment for an M3. So I've got the 2nd most awesome sports-oriented coupe that BMW makes. Is that worth $2k extra? I think so.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: E90 330i, X3 3.0i
Rowag, very well said.

Anyone have a chance to check the e46fanatics poll? I'm very surprised to see the votes in both polls are so close in every category. Is it true that this is the general consent of the 330i ZHP to most people (well, at least the board members)?
Old 02-11-2005, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: E90 330i, X3 3.0i
Quote:
The cube trim, Alcantara wheel/shift boot/brake handle, the 18's (nice to look at but hard to clean and too heavy) are the reasons why I didn't get the ZHP package. I really don't understand why you can't get wood or brushed aluminum, an M3 leather wheel/shift boot/brake handle and a lighter set of wheels. Why do I have to take those?
BMW offers these because they think alcantara, cube trim, etc. is what a performance car should look like. Look at the M3 CSL and the ZCP. You have to pay a lot more to get these "upgraded" materials whether you think they are or not. If they put the wood trim and leather back, it just goes back to the standard looks of the 3-series again, and is even harder to justify its extra cost.

Contrary to your argument, the above reasons that caused you not to get the ZHP are the same reasons why I got the ZHP. So it is very difficult to please everyone except offering individual options, which has been discussed many times that it can't be done, at least in the US.

Regarding lighter wheels, it is very expensive for a set of forged alloys. If they throw in a set of 18" M3 ZCP or CSL wheels in the ZHP pkg and sell for $5000, will you get it?

Last edited by mkh; 02-11-2005 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:15 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330i ,2004,SG, ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenPhen
Chicks dig the cube trim. Mine's black on black cloth, and the trim still gets compliments (poo poo for you black cube haters ).

My favorite feature is the overall look: aero package, wheels, lip spoiler, and high-gloss shadowline trim, cube trim, black headliner, red needles... A ZHP 3 is sexy from all angles.

After you sit inside, looks aren't a factor anymore, but the feel is sexy from all angles. The growl-purr on start, the shifter, the meaty Alcantara wheel, the roar from a downshift into second, the push back from the acceleration in the power band, the confident pull from the brakes and tires, the left-turn you crisply carved under yellow...

At this point, most ZHP owners aren't thinking about the price. I wish so many more purchases would make me feel as good as getting the ZHP package.

But geez, I don't know how much more or how many more ways the Performance Package can be criticized. Who are you critics trying to convince?
I like your color combination!!! I think the black cube is awsome.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:07 AM
It's Highly Addictive!

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
i think the alcantra/cloth 2 tone seats look like ass
The two tones are black... and blacker...

Quote:
the cube trim looks like wanna-be-boy-racer-overdone-carbon-fiber...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan
I could do without the cube trim, but interestingly this was the FIRST thing Mrs. Wingspan remarked on when she got in the car...?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowag
Open the door, and the cube trim and lack of leather says "I'm DEFINITELY different than every other BMW in town." Many people (particularly women) comment about how they like the cube.

2004 330i 6MT · performance package · silver gray · alcantara/cloth · black cube · xenons · pdc · aux audio
Old 02-12-2005, 03:05 PM

If anyone cares, here's the comparison with e46fanatics

Old 02-12-2005, 03:07 PM

Quote:
The two tones are black... and blacker...

Anon got

Old 02-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:

Anon got

Great thread, guys. Even more enjoyable than the "other" thread -- glad my "ignore" feature works.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: '05 330i ZHP
Quote:
If anyone cares, here's the comparison with e46fanatics
Hey, just for validity, how many people from Bimmerfest voted in that poll at E46fanatics?

When I first got into the very first ZHP, I thought the silver cube trim was . In fact for the first two weeks I was scouring every dealership's inventory to MAKE SURE it was a black cube trim. But then finally when I bought my car, the black leather interior made the silver cube trim stand out as a good 2-tone contrast. Nowadays I never even think about the trim; today for the first time in my life I took Hwy 17 towards Los Gatos and barely even braked going downhill. The car just grips the road like.... well, you get the point.

Call me lame, but after having put 1170mi in the car after my 21st day of owning it, sometimes I wish the exhaust wasn't as loud; the constant din when I'm going a few hours on the highway is sometimes fatiguing.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto: 318i
I don't have a ZHP, but I do have some bits and pieces from it - the M wheel, anthracite headlining and a shorter final drive. The steering wheel rim is terrific - back to back comparisons with a car fitted with the regular sport steering wheel are very illuminating (the car feels quite different - not surprising, given how many nerve endings are in your hands and fingers). And whilst some find the anthracite headlining a bit coal-hole, I don't mind mining away in there at all .
Old 02-13-2005, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktc
Hey, just for validity, how many people from Bimmerfest voted in that poll at E46fanatics?

When I first got into the very first ZHP, I thought the silver cube trim was . In fact for the first two weeks I was scouring every dealership's inventory to MAKE SURE it was a black cube trim. But then finally when I bought my car, the black leather interior made the silver cube trim stand out as a good 2-tone contrast. Nowadays I never even think about the trim; today for the first time in my life I took Hwy 17 towards Los Gatos and barely even braked going downhill. The car just grips the road like.... well, you get the point.

Call me lame, but after having put 1170mi in the car after my 21st day of owning it, sometimes I wish the exhaust wasn't as loud; the constant din when I'm going a few hours on the highway is sometimes fatiguing.

I didn't vote but any statistician can tell you based on the sample size there that the results are not surprising. I expected them to be very similar.

Old 02-13-2005, 10:53 AM

The only thing I didn't like about the ZHP was alcantara on the seats. I like it on the wheel, etc. but I didn't want it on the seats so I opted for the Natural Brown leather. Contrary to the poll, I do like the Black Cube a lot (as do the girls who run their fingers across it). It could be a function of the interior as a whole but I think the black cube works great in the Natural Brown interior because the NB is trimmed (center console, lower dash, carpet, armrest, etc.) in Black and the cube just appears to be a nice accent of different black in the black dashboard.

The wheels may be heavy but boy do those tires stick!

Old 02-13-2005, 04:35 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstream23
Contrary to the poll, I do like the Black Cube a lot (as do the girls who run their fingers across it).

Opposing viewpoint - Maybe the girl thought the cube trim looked cheap and she was feeling it to see if it was well made. Kind of like when a woman feels a kitchen countertop before she says if she likes it or not?
Old 02-13-2005, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktc
Call me lame,
You are lame.

Get earplugs

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Opposing viewpoint - Maybe the girl thought the cube trim looked cheap and she was feeling it to see if it was well made. Kind of like when a woman feels a kitchen countertop before she says if she likes it or not?
Well, so far everything she has felt she has liked.

Old 02-13-2005, 05:28 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstream23
Well, so far everything she has felt she has liked.