Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-10-2005, 09:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 E61 530xiT 2004 E53 X5
CDV-ectomy complete

Hello Friends,

Met with a new mechanic yesterday and this morning stopped by for the removal of my CDV. Took 30 minutes, he charged me 40 bucks, CDN.

The clutch engagement now feels normal, not that greasy otherworldly feeling. I am pleased with this procedure and happy I knew about it.

I have ordered a UUC DSSR and once that is installed I will report back!

I'm still at 31k kms, so I won't bother changing my tranny fluid, but next oil change I'll do that too.
Ads by Google
Old 02-10-2005, 10:16 AM
takes the long way home..

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP
Smart move

The biggest diff I noticed was just before the clutch plates make contact, right at the top of the clutch travel. Post cdvectomy I didn't have to vary the velocity of the pedal- in other words I didn't have to hold the pedal at the top for a split second. 2nd gear upshifts and rev matches became much smoother

Old 02-10-2005, 11:52 AM

Hey Shizat, I think you were the one pushing me for the CDV and DSSR when I posted about my SSK...this upgrade stuff is somewhat contagious. I'm actually enjoying the process bit by bit, so I can see what every little change does.

This new mechanic is big on Dinan upgrades...he gave me the lovely glossy brochure and all...I'm not sure what's more important, saving for my children's college or upgrading my car!!!
Old 02-10-2005, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: '05 330i ZHP
Alright I'll be shameless...

... so does this CDVectomy require me to be able to do split-second clutch performances, or can I still be a noobie and drive my car without lurching on it? I tend to drag my clutch a *little*.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewthebassman
Hey Shizat, I think you were the one pushing me for the CDV and DSSR when I posted about my SSK...this upgrade stuff is somewhat contagious. I'm actually enjoying the process bit by bit, so I can see what every little change does.

This new mechanic is big on Dinan upgrades...he gave me the lovely glossy brochure and all...I'm not sure what's more important, saving for my children's college or upgrading my car!!!
Well I hope you didn't do it on my account.

I personally wouldn't do any engine mods, unless you're putting in a supercharger, the return is very minimal. You'd be better off with another car.

Yeah, modding is addictive. But the CDVectomy and redline fluid are cheap. Wait until you start putting in a short **** kit, suspension, brakes, yada yada...

Old 02-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Quote:
Hello Friends,

Met with a new mechanic yesterday and this morning stopped by for the removal of my CDV. Took 30 minutes, he charged me 40 bucks, CDN.

The clutch engagement now feels normal, not that greasy otherworldly feeling. I am pleased with this procedure and happy I knew about it.

I'm still at 31k kms, so I won't bother changing my tranny fluid, but next oil change I'll do that too.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizat63
Well I hope you didn't do it on my account.

I personally wouldn't do any engine mods, unless you're putting in a supercharger, the return is very minimal. You'd be better off with another car.

Yeah, modding is addictive. But the CDVectomy and redline fluid are cheap. Wait until you start putting in a short **** kit, suspension, brakes, yada yada...

By the time all the mods add up, it's really quite $$$$... I think I'd rather just wait and get a 330 and some kind of Perf package. This 325 was meant to be my "starter" BMW, see what all the hype is about...Now that I'm a a believer I could see myself spending the money on a factory souped up Bimmer.

I did get the UUC SSK, and big fat UUC knob. It made quite a difference and I'm happy I did that too.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktc
... so does this CDVectomy require me to be able to do split-second clutch performances, or can I still be a noobie and drive my car without lurching on it? I tend to drag my clutch a *little*.
It's the same as a normal clutch on any other car, you're either its master or slave, whereas with the CDV, you're the slave of the fluid restriction.

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but while I'm happy that BMW makes such safe and wonderful cars (and universally driveable), it's nice to know that they're easily (more or less) transformable into the real drivers' cars that they can be.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:11 AM

Quote:
By the time all the mods add up, it's really quite $$$$... I think I'd rather just wait and get a 330 and some kind of Perf package. This 325 was meant to be my "starter" BMW, see what all the hype is about...Now that I'm a a believer I could see myself spending the money on a factory souped up Bimmer.

I did get the UUC SSK, and big fat UUC knob. It made quite a difference and I'm happy I did that too.
Yep, I faced the same dilemma with my '02 325Ci. That's why I got rid of it. Plus jet black was so hard to keep clean

After I got the 330, I realized that there was something seriously wrong with the tranny in my 325. It was smooth one minute, but really clunky the next. A combined SSK, Redline, CDVfree, clutch stop, and shift knob made it less aggravating but never perfect. I now realize that whatever tranny they gave me was a piece of shit! I read something about surplus General Motors trannys being put in E46s, but I'm not sure if that's true.

My next mod is UUC anti-sway bars for $350. Seems to be an easy and relatively inexpensive way to induce less understeer and improve the handling considerably.

Even though they may be the 'ultimate driving machine', they have to appeal to a wide range of drivers. While less of a lowest common denominator of a vehicle as the Accord or Camry, they still make compromises. The CDV happens to be one of them.

Another one is the sway bars and the tendency to understeer. I believe that for the average driver, push is easier to control than the tail coming out b/c it's a natural thing to hit the brake pedal when something goes wrong. So the engineers put in more understeer to compensate for this. Case in point, the ZHP sways are slightly thicker, I guess they figure a more sporty driver can handle oversteer better than a soccer mom. It's in our hands to modify this to our liking, and this is where 'mods' come in.

Last edited by shizat63; 02-11-2005 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:11 PM

Shizat, I believe you are driving what BMW Canada calls the "M Performance" package. You must love this car after your 325, eh?
Old 02-11-2005, 07:26 PM
life is fragile

Send a message via ICQ to santiago Send a message via MSN to santiago
Mein Auto: 2004 325iT
Quote:
Hello Friends,

Hi Stew,

Is your new mechanic a dealer mechanic or an independent? Where in QC you located?

Visit my E46 Touring DIY Site

Life is fragile
Old 02-11-2005, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Shizat, I believe you are driving what BMW Canada calls the "M Performance" package. You must love this car after your 325, eh?

Old 02-12-2005, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago
Hi Stew,

Is your new mechanic a dealer mechanic or an independent? Where in QC you located?

Hi Santiago,

I went to Tonalco at 5710 Upper lachine Road. The fellow's name is Markus Hold. He currently is fixing 2 MB, a 530i, and a Freestar. He has a used lot across the street that can be viewed at tonalco.ca.

He didn't know anything about the CDV, but I brought him a printout of bmw325i.net, and he got it right away.

I got the referral from Lou at Engineered Automotive in Toronto. I bought my UUC short shifter from him at Christmas. Lou appears to have been a founding father of the BMW Canada club. Lou and Markus are both authorized Dinan Dealers, that's their relationship. Lou at EA in torornto could have been a Bimmerfester, he's into all the stuff we chat about here, including the CDV.

Markus does all types of work, but he says that he even fixes cars on warranty, and if there is warranty work necessary he takes it to BMW on the South Shore. He says sometimes he has taken cars for warranty work to other dealerships and taken them back with the work not done or poorly done. I guess that happens everywhere from time to time. As you know I happen to like the Service at Jalbert in Kirkland quite a bit, so I'll keep going there. But something like a CDV-ectomy probably won't get done by the dealer (I didn't ask). But Jalbert did my SSK no questions asked.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:49 AM

Quote:

I thought so. I priced a 330i "M" on bmw.ca. The price difference is about 7k over stock, or 55k cdn. I would totally go for that for my next car. I'm going to bug my salesman here to make sure that the next time one goes through the door that I get to try it first!
Old 02-12-2005, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Hi Stew,

Hey Santiago,

Where did you buy/do you service your Touring?
Old 02-12-2005, 08:06 PM
life is fragile

Quote:
Hey Santiago,

Where did you buy/do you service your Touring?
I got mine at Canbec. Serge Moniz was my salesman and was the best. I just found out that he's no longer there. I have to find out where he went. Canbec is convenient for me since I live in the east (Anjou). Jalbert is just too far for me. You off the island?

Life is fragile
Old 02-12-2005, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I got mine at Canbec. Serge Moniz was my salesman and was the best. I just found out that he's no longer there. I have to find out where he went. Canbec is convenient for me since I live in the east (Anjou). Jalbert is just too far for me. You off the island?
I live in Ste Justine de Newton, south of Rigaud. I drive in to Montreal every day, and when I need to I pass right by Jalbert. Funny, I really like my salesman too, Martin Leduc. He made buying the 325 perfect.

We bought a used X5 from Canbec in Laval in November, but the finance girl was stupid, I was telling her how to use the computer, and the Prep was downright miserable. The sales guy was good however, but Canbec is way off my map for service.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:59 PM
life is fragile

Quote:
I live in Ste Justine de Newton, south of Rigaud. I drive in to Montreal every day, and when I need to I pass right by Jalbert. Funny, I really like my salesman too, Martin Leduc. He made buying the 325 perfect.

We bought a used X5 from Canbec in Laval in November, but the finance girl was stupid, I was telling her how to use the computer, and the Prep was downright miserable. The sales guy was good however, but Canbec is way off my map for service.
Is the Laval dealership Canbec as well? I'm referring to Canbec in TMR on Jean-Talon between Victoria and Lucerne.

In your other thread you put in the SSK and now you have the SSK. Have you adjusted your clutch stop as well? http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=clutch Look for the post by Cabana, he found some plastic bolts at Canadian Tire that are a replacement. I have the part number if you're interested although I had trouble finding it in a bunch of Canadian Tires i went to. Cabana ended up mailing me his spares.

Life is fragile
Old 02-13-2005, 05:45 AM

The Laval Canbec is a beautiful building, with slick BMW salesman prowling around and beautiful cars on display, M convertibles and the like. But there's no body shop (Jalbert has one), and there's no personal touch.

The clutch stop, yes. I too printed out the writeup on e46fans, and had the same horrible time trying to find the escalator bolt. So I stopped looking. It's funny that you can spend a buck fifty on parts and spend 90 seconds installing it, but it takes hours of driving around and phoning about and blank looks from ignorant staff...total cost in time 500 dollars. Maybe I'll just order one from UUC for twenty bucks!!
Old 02-13-2005, 05:49 AM

Quote:
The Laval Canbec is a beautiful building, with slick BMW salesman prowling around and beautiful cars on display, M convertibles and the like. But there's no body shop (Jalbert has one), and there's no personal touch.

The clutch stop, yes. I too printed out the writeup on e46fans, and had the same horrible time trying to find the escalator bolt. So I stopped looking. It's funny that you can spend a buck fifty on parts and spend 90 seconds installing it, but it takes hours of driving around and phoning about and blank looks from ignorant staff...total cost in time 500 dollars. Maybe I'll just order one from UUC for twenty bucks!!
$20?

It's a $.12 bolt and $1.35 plastic chair leg cover from Home Depot

Old 02-13-2005, 06:26 AM
life is fragile

Quote:
$20?

Exactly. The Canadian Tire part number is 61-9396-8 and they cost Cabana 0.68. Here's a pic of the part. What I don't like about this is that the head of this bolt isn't big enough. The benefit of the plastic bolt is that it can easily be cut with a hacksaw to size (the OEM one is plastic as well). The dimensions of this bolt are 3/8 1 1/2. That should be 3/8" thread and 1.5" long. I didn't have to cut mine down.

So all you really need is a bolt with a 3/8" thread with a wide head.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clutchstop.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	44548  

Life is fragile
Old 02-13-2005, 08:06 AM

Quote:
$20?

Agreed, but the time finding the bloody bolt...we don't have the same variety in Canada at our bolt purveyors. Hence Santiago having Cabana send him bolts. Hence my wasting too much time trying to find a .12 cent bolt!

Or I simplify my life and go without a clutch stop!
Old 02-13-2005, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Exactly. The Canadian Tire part number is 61-9396-8 and they cost Cabana 0.68. Here's a pic of the part. What I don't like about this is that the head of this bolt isn't big enough. The benefit of the plastic bolt is that it can easily be cut with a hacksaw to size (the OEM one is plastic as well). The dimensions of this bolt are 3/8 1 1/2. That should be 3/8" thread and 1.5" long. I didn't have to cut mine down.

So all you really need is a bolt with a 3/8" thread with a wide head.
Okay, I'll try again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2005, 10:45 AM
life is fragile

Quote:
Okay, I'll try again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The bolt was found in the bins that you buy by the unit. I checked the Canadian Tire in St-Leonard, the one close to Papineau/40, the one in R.D.P. and I think the one on Pie-IX/Jean-Talon. None of them had it. Maybe the one in the west island of St-Charles will have it.

Cabana found the bolt in the only Canadian Tire they have in Trois-Rivieres. Go figure.

Life is fragile
Old 02-13-2005, 04:46 PM

Quote:
The bolt was found in the bins that you buy by the unit. I checked the Canadian Tire in St-Leonard, the one close to Papineau/40, the one in R.D.P. and I think the one on Pie-IX/Jean-Talon. None of them had it. Maybe the one in the west island of St-Charles will have it.

Cabana found the bolt in the only Canadian Tire they have in Trois-Rivieres. Go figure.

Trois Rivieres????!!!

I checked at the St. Charles CT...Useless!!! Maybe I'll try the Home Depot in St. Henri on my way home Monday...