Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-10-2005, 09:36 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2.5L
1st Oil Change on X3 2.5l

Greetings, there is no way these vehicles are going to make 15k mile oil changes and still function properly. I just did my own oil & filter change at 3651 miles. Looking at the oil filler cap, the metal tabs had coked oil on them that doesn't come off, most likely the Castrol oil being used.

I used the re-packaged Mobil Delvac-1 which is now Truck & SUV 5W-40 full synth oil. Oil filter was a breeze, similar to VW's diesel oil filter set-up. Drained oil looked and smelled really used.

Pulled both plastic and metal skid pans, did complete visual of everything underneath. Had a coolant issue early on, BMW says it was probably due to not burping the heater core during initial system fill at factory. No indications of any leaks.

Denis
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2005, 10:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Wow, interesting at only 3651 miles! I'll be changing mine around 3K mi. So 5w-40 full synth. is ok to use?
Old 02-10-2005, 11:51 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2.5L
As per the Owner's Manual 5W-30 OR 5W-40 are just fine. No problems.

Denis
Old 02-11-2005, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: X3
He was probably feeding me a line of BS, but when I picked up my X3, the dealer warned me that BMW can invalidate your warranty if you get your oil changed by anyone other than a BMW dealer.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:17 AM
E90 325i

Mein Auto: E90 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikkius
He was probably feeding me a line of BS, but when I picked up my X3, the dealer warned me that BMW can invalidate your warranty if you get your oil changed by anyone other than a BMW dealer.
But the dealer will only change it every 15K miles per the "book"? With the comprehensive maintenance BMW includes with new vehicles is this the case? Is there no consideration for type of service - i.e. on-road vs. off-road, stop & go traffic vs. highway miles? This seems kind of short sighted on BMW's part, inviting long term problems.

Or maybe the cynic in me says that BMW sees long term major maintenance opportunities with engine overhauls.

Last edited by dherzfeld; 02-11-2005 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
First Oil Change Interval Is Not 15,000 Miles

The first oil change interval is determined by an onboard computer that monitors driving conditions/driving style for the individual vehicle.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:06 AM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipo
The first oil change interval is determined by an onboard computer that monitors driving conditions/driving style for the individual vehicle.
Every interval is determined by the OBC. And it's based only on the number of cold starts and the amount of gas used. It'll generally vary between 10k and 16k miles.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
I was told by my dealer that the oil change is conducted after 1 year or as required by the OBC.

Jeff
Old 02-15-2005, 02:07 PM
RetiredBum

Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '02VetteVert
Correctomundo: Green lights gone OR 1 year for the annual "oil service",
per SI B 00 04 01, unless the bean counters have tossed that deal. If you do get the "annual/pre-greens gone" oil change make sure they Do Not reset your OBC green lights.

If one is not leasing, most would agree with an oil/filter change every 7500ish miles, but it's your nickel and call; it's an easy DIY.

Castrol Syntec, Mobil 1, et al, will fill the bill. The Stlr that inferred that only a Stlr could/should do oil changes is absoufookinglutely full of bs and using scare tactics.
GL,md
'10 Hyundai Tucson for the CEO, & 3 Assorted M'Cycles.
BMW CCA mem. Tarheel Chapter
My Flickr...Scenes,Cars & Road Trip Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45275375@N00/
Old 02-16-2005, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz
Every interval is determined by the OBC. And it's based only on the number of cold starts and the amount of gas used. It'll generally vary between 10k and 16k miles.
You may be right about the oil change interval being based on number of cold starts and amount of gas used, but there are apparently other factors used by the OBCs in the X3s.

The 2004 Service and Warranty Information booklet states: "Maintenance intervals on motor vehicles have conventionally been specified based upon accumulated mileage. However, the type of driving conditions has a major influence on routine maintenance requirements; distance travelled is only one of the significant factors. A vehicle driven for 50,000 miles of short trips in the city with numerous cold starts, prolonged periods of idling, stop-and-go driving, and high engine speeds during acceleration requires more frequent maintenance intervals than a vehicle driven for 50,000 miles for long distances at low engine speeds primarily at operating temperature.

The advanced technologies at BMW have led to the development of the unique BMW Service Interval Indicator System which computes the actual optimum maintenance requirements based not only on the accumulated mileage, but taking into account important factors such as engine coolant temperatures, high or low engine speeds, short or long trip driving, and number of vehicle starts. [emphasis supplied] The maintenance interval may therefore be maximized with considerable savings to owners of vehicles subject to light duty.

Ain't it also gratifying to know that BMW wants to provide "considerable savings" to us lucky light duty owners? Not too many benevolent automobile manufacturers around these days!