Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-11-2005, 04:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 E90 335i
Spare Tire issue

I was wondering if people would like to comment on the lack of a spare tire in the E90. There are two issues I suspect will come up. The first is the run-flat tires themselves. At present, I suspect that the choice of tires are pretty limited wrt these run-flats. If that is the case, wouldn't many of us be tempted to purchase non-run-flats? That brings up the second issue, which is if one wants to change over to non-run-flats, will a space saving spare tire be available? I guess that brings up a third issue of where to put that spare tire. This is just a concern as I look towards a E90 purchase in the future. Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2005, 05:27 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaslee
I was wondering if people would like to comment on the lack of a spare tire in the E90. There are two issues I suspect will come up. The first is the run-flat tires themselves. At present, I suspect that the choice of tires are pretty limited wrt these run-flats. If that is the case, wouldn't many of us be tempted to purchase non-run-flats? That brings up the second issue, which is if one wants to change over to non-run-flats, will a space saving spare tire be available? I guess that brings up a third issue of where to put that spare tire. This is just a concern as I look towards a E90 purchase in the future. Thanks.

I don't like the idea of run flats either. Do not like the added replacement cost, limited tire choices, plus the car will have another sensor.

Can someone answer if the E90 will have a space saver spare?
Old 02-11-2005, 05:40 AM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger
I don't like the idea of run flats either. Do not like the added replacement cost, limited tire choices, plus the car will have another sensor.
Assuming by sensor you mean a tire pressure monitoring system, I believe that's going to be a requirement for all cars due to legislation (TREAD Act Nov 1, 2000), so you probably ought to hope BMW installs one that provides useful information (like the one on the Corvette ) and not yet another idiot light (more likely ).
Old 02-11-2005, 05:55 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff3
Assuming by sensor you mean a tire pressure monitoring system, I believe that's going to be a requirement for all cars due to legislation (TREAD Act Nov 1, 2000), so you probably ought to hope BMW installs one that provides useful information (like the one on the Corvette ) and not yet another idiot light (more likely ).

I was not aware of the legislation.

This might actually be a good thing considering all the people I see driving everyday with low pressure tires. This is not a SUV bash but, 75% of the automobiles I see with dangerously low pressure tires are SUV's maybe the drivers don't notice the low pressures due to the heavy weight and vague road feel of the vehicles.

Watching a top heavy SUV doing 80 mph down the highway with 10 pounds of air in the rear tire will make you go…
Old 02-11-2005, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i F30 Sedan
I gotta tell you, these run-flats are scaring me a little. The fact they are run-flats to begin with will make them hard to find, then add to that the tire size is not real common... I really worry what one would do for a new tire non-urban areas.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 328i
I'm pretty sure E46s already have tire pressure monitoring systems anyways. It's in my owner's manual, but it says in parentheses that it's not in use yet (this is a late 98 buld E46).
Old 02-11-2005, 10:04 AM
TMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasterLonghorn
I'm pretty sure E46s already have tire pressure monitoring systems anyways. It's in my owner's manual, but it says in parentheses that it's not in use yet (this is a late 98 buld E46).
Only those with the runflat option have it. (edit: and E46 M3's I believe)

Last edited by Cliff; 02-11-2005 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff3
Only those with the runflat option have it. (edit: and E46 M3's I believe)
It's available as an option on all E46s, not just those with run-flats (run-flats on E46s aren't even available over here).

MINI owners have not had any problems with run-flats on a mass-volume car. There are several types of run-flats available. Not as many as regular tyres, but run-flats are now in common enough use.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:42 PM
TMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_thomas
It's available as an option on all E46s, not just those with run-flats (run-flats on E46s aren't even available over here).
I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe that is true in the US.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Le fabuleux destin

Mein Auto: F30 328i x two
I was wondering about getting run flat winter tires. Also, since I already have winter tires of the right size, can I not use them anymore? If I do use them, will I also have to carry a spare? If I get a spare, and I have the sport package, will the spare fit on both the front and back (which now are different size wheels).

So many questions, so little time
Old 02-12-2005, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: '08 535 6mt
You can fit non-run flats on a car with a tire monitoring system. It's just that if the tire is flat you can't drive on it. Carry a portable inflator, tire sealer in a can, or call for assistance.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:35 PM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObD
You can fit non-run flats on a car with a tire monitoring system. It's just that if the tire is flat you can't drive on it. Carry a portable inflator, tire sealer in a can, or call for assistance.
"Carry a portable inflator, tire sealer in a can, or call for assistance."

Oh yeah on problem.

How about just changing a frickn' tire.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:38 PM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Oh... I can't do that I don't have a damn spare.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger
Oh... I can't do that I don't have a damn spare.
Where I live lots of people get killed changing tires on the freeway. I'm starting to think that it just isn't worth risking one's life. Maybe the folks at BMW are thinking along those lines.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:03 AM
A sudden sense of liberty

Mein Auto: 535xiT, Golf R, 987S
The big problems with the current gen of runflats are a) the ****ty ride, handling and performance that is caused by the stiff, stiff sidewall and heavy tire weight, and b) cost, since runflats are hideously expensive compared to "normal" tires.

Both of these will presumably improve as development and deployment of runflats continue.

In the interim, you can probably throw the space-saver spare from an E46 wagon/convertible in the trunk, which is what I do with my M3. I say probably because who knows yet whether it will fit/clear the brakes.