Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-11-2005, 09:00 PM
KingLemmiwinks KingLemmiwinks is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 115
Mein Auto: MY'03 325xi Jet Black
Automatic Trans

Does anyone know who is the manufacture for the 6-speed automatic in the E90 for 2006?
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 02-11-2005, 09:29 PM
psychrunner psychrunner is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 269
Mein Auto: 2008 535i, 1988 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLemmiwinks
Does anyone know who is the manufacture for the 6-speed automatic in the E90 for 2006?
I may be wrong, but I think I remember reading it was Getrag (sp?)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-11-2005, 09:30 PM
psychrunner psychrunner is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 269
Mein Auto: 2008 535i, 1988 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychrunner
I may be wrong, but I think I remember reading it was Getrag (sp?)
Actually, I believe Getrag is the manual.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-12-2005, 09:45 AM
pmoney pmoney is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: upstate ny
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 146
Mein Auto: POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLemmiwinks
Does anyone know who is the manufacture for the 6-speed automatic in the E90 for 2006?

It is most probably ZF. They have been making 6 speed autos in bmws for a long time.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-12-2005, 10:20 AM
vehigal vehigal is offline
.
Location: Canadia
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 121
Mein Auto: rwd
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLemmiwinks
Does anyone know who is the manufacture for the 6-speed automatic in the E90 for 2006?
According to this site (http://www.autozine.org/0_News/Archive/2004_10/News.htm), it's ZF.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-13-2005, 12:36 AM
Kaz's Avatar
Kaz Kaz is offline
King of Rear Clunks
Location: OC, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 12,907
Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
I don't think Getrag makes ATs. I think there are only 3 manufacturers of 6ATs for cars. ZF, Ford/GM joint venture and Aisin (Toyota).
__________________
2001 325i Touring Alpinweiss/Anthracite cloth, Alpina Softline
1988 M6 Royalblau/Silbergrau Nappa
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-13-2005, 07:37 AM
KingLemmiwinks KingLemmiwinks is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 115
Mein Auto: MY'03 325xi Jet Black
Trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoney
It is most probably ZF. They have been making 6 speed autos in bmws for a long time.
Here is one fact: GM makes both manual & Automaic transmissions.

I believe that our E46 5-speed automatics are GM transmissions.

Kaz mentioned the joint venture between GM/Ford I believe this is a recent event and that there will be no tranmission from this joint venture for a few years.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Kaz's Avatar
Kaz Kaz is offline
King of Rear Clunks
Location: OC, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 12,907
Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
ZF has been making 6ATs for BMW only since the introduction of the E65 (6HP26 and 6HP32), since these were the first in the passenger car industry. They've made 6ATs for trucks way before then.

And as for the GM/Ford joint venture, the 6AT in the Five Hundred and Freestyle are from that venture, IIRC.
__________________
2001 325i Touring Alpinweiss/Anthracite cloth, Alpina Softline
1988 M6 Royalblau/Silbergrau Nappa
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-13-2005, 09:33 PM
Blax's Avatar
Blax Blax is offline
Le fabuleux destin
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 556
Mein Auto: F30 328i x two
The auto I had to have replaced in my 1 year old 325xi was (and presumably still is) a GM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-15-2005, 03:15 PM
vanos vanos is offline
Bimmer from Dolomiti
Location: Italy
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: BMW E46 330d and more...
I'm sure that GM produces the gearbox Steptronic Hydra-Matic 5L40-E for E46, so I suppose that GM constructs also that one of the E90:
Look at this link
http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpower...issions/hydra/
__________________
E46 330d Individual MII pack
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-15-2005, 03:46 PM
Desertnate's Avatar
Desertnate Desertnate is offline
Spelling Impaired
Location: St Louis
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,578
Mein Auto: '10 Mazda3 HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLemmiwinks
I believe that our E46 5-speed automatics are GM transmissions.

The one in my '99 E46 is a Getrag...don't know about later years.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-15-2005, 04:35 PM
Kaz's Avatar
Kaz Kaz is offline
King of Rear Clunks
Location: OC, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 12,907
Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65671
__________________
2001 325i Touring Alpinweiss/Anthracite cloth, Alpina Softline
1988 M6 Royalblau/Silbergrau Nappa
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-15-2005, 04:40 PM
pmoney pmoney is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: upstate ny
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 146
Mein Auto: POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLemmiwinks
Here is one fact: GM makes both manual & Automaic transmissions.

I believe that our E46 5-speed automatics are GM transmissions.

snip
All the e46 xi's autos have the GM tranny (made by Opel? in France). E46 sedans have the GM tranny till around the 03 model year. After that, the 5 speed autos in the sedans are ZF transmissions.

And the six speed auto in the Ford Five Hundred (non-AWD, the AWD gets a proprietary ford CVT), is also made by ZF. But, what is odd is that according to motor trend or C&D, I forget which one, the Ford Fusion and its corporate clones will have a 6 speed auto made by Aisin. I found that amazingly strange because Aisin makes transmissions mostly for Toyota, though Mazda (controlled by Ford) is using a Aisin 6 speed manual for the new Mazdaspeed 6. I would figure that Ford would use the ZF 6 speed for the Ford Fusion midsize sedan rather than a completelty different transmission made by a competitor. But thats Ford Management at its finest.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-15-2005, 04:46 PM
Kaz's Avatar
Kaz Kaz is offline
King of Rear Clunks
Location: OC, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 12,907
Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoney
All the e46 xi's autos have the GM tranny (made by Opel? in France). E46 sedans have the GM tranny till around the 03 model year. After that, the 5 speed autos in the sedans are ZF transmissions.

And the six speed auto in the Ford Five Hundred (non-AWD, the AWD gets a proprietary ford CVT), is also made by ZF. But, what is odd is that according to motor trend or C&D, I forget which one, the Ford Fusion and its corporate clones will have a 6 speed auto made by Aisin. I found that amazingly strange because Aisin makes transmissions mostly for Toyota, though Mazda (controlled by Ford) is using a Aisin 6 speed manual for the new Mazdaspeed 6. I would figure that Ford would use the ZF 6 speed for the Ford Fusion midsize sedan rather than a completelty different transmission made by a competitor. But thats Ford Management at its finest.
Aisin is technically a part of Toyota, but they're a transmission supplier to the whole industry, just like GM or Getrag or ZF. The Cayenne's transmission and transfer case are Aisin, for example. The X5's transfer case (pre-XDrive) was from New Venture, IIRC, which used to be a Chrysler company, though I think they've recently been bought by Magna, which also builds the entire X3.
__________________
2001 325i Touring Alpinweiss/Anthracite cloth, Alpina Softline
1988 M6 Royalblau/Silbergrau Nappa
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-16-2005, 04:15 PM
pmoney pmoney is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: upstate ny
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 146
Mein Auto: POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz
Aisin is technically a part of Toyota, but they're a transmission supplier to the whole industry, just like GM or Getrag or ZF. The Cayenne's transmission and transfer case are Aisin, for example. The X5's transfer case (pre-XDrive) was from New Venture, IIRC, which used to be a Chrysler company, though I think they've recently been bought by Magna, which also builds the entire X3.

Really? I did not know this. Is it the automatic 6 speed tiptronic they make? I would assume only in the Cayenne 6 cylinder and maybe the Cayenne S, unless Porsche is using an Aisin tiptronic in their Porsche Turbos. Does VW use this same tranny and transfer case for their Toureg?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-16-2005, 05:30 PM
Kaz's Avatar
Kaz Kaz is offline
King of Rear Clunks
Location: OC, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 12,907
Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoney
Really? I did not know this. Is it the automatic 6 speed tiptronic they make? I would assume only in the Cayenne 6 cylinder and maybe the Cayenne S, unless Porsche is using an Aisin tiptronic in their Porsche Turbos. Does VW use this same tranny and transfer case for their Toureg?
The article I saw was referencing the Cayenne Turbo, so I dunno if the non-turbos or the Touareg use the same thing, though if I had to guess, I'd say yes.
__________________
2001 325i Touring Alpinweiss/Anthracite cloth, Alpina Softline
1988 M6 Royalblau/Silbergrau Nappa
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automatic and Rogue rennfahrer Motorsports, Racing & Track 1 01-31-2005 08:43 AM
Automatic Racing testing their cars rennfahrer Motorsports, Racing & Track 1 01-24-2005 01:56 PM
2004 325xiT Automatic Trans Cold Stall aabimmer 3 Series / 4 Series 0 12-31-2004 03:32 PM
Automatic Trans Wanted Franktea 5 Series 1 12-15-2004 03:14 PM
'95 325 automatic trans question Ben Dixon 3 Series / 4 Series 1 11-06-2002 12:30 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms