Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-12-2005, 07:39 AM
ELmO

Send a message via AIM to elmalloc Send a message via MSN to elmalloc Send a message via Yahoo to elmalloc
Mein Auto: 05 330 CIC
Thumbs up White vs. Black Convertible comparison pictures - Continuing saga.

Hello,

Here's my continuing saga to discover which colour I like better. I do know black needs to be washed a lot more often, but I have not gotten to see a white convertible in real life. I've seen BMW's white coupe, and it looked spectacularly clean - and pretty. I don't know if I got a "man taht car is bad ass" when seeing it though, like I think I feel when I see a washed/waxed black car. Anyone have any more white/black BMW convertible pictures to contribute to this post?

I am considering white with natural brown seats, and black with black leather. My dealer has a black witih natural brown leather on the lot, that I will try to take a drive in today and take some pictures with it (with the top down) - but the temp is 38 today.

Thanks for your opinions and any other pictures before hand,
ELmO
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2005, 07:40 AM
ELmO

Send a message via AIM to elmalloc Send a message via MSN to elmalloc Send a message via Yahoo to elmalloc
Thumbs up

Here are some other white/brown pictures I've found:

-ELmO
Old 02-12-2005, 07:56 AM
ELmO

Here was a used black one on a benz lot near me (missing antenna), just for pics:

-ELmO
Old 02-12-2005, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 330CiC
Tough choice if you are a girl, but not if you are a guy. Don't flame me here all you white car owners...but IMO, and you asked for it, the white car is more of a woman's color. I think you unconsciously hit the nail on the head by calling it "pretty" so you may be female, in which case I'd go with the white. Check out the white/sand combo, unles you're stuck on thebrown..which is nice also. Just make sure you compare the 2 trims with the interior differences (seat moldings, etc.) and also the wood versus metal trim. I saw one had wood and the other metal.

Also, look into wheel options (see 1st pic of the black car). It seems the 3 series has had those wheels in that pic on every 330 for the past 5 years without changing the style . The other wheels on the white look nice, as do the style 71's (17" or 18").

Changing the wheels alone will differentiate it from the others on the road immediately and at first glance.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2002325iT, 2006530xiT
I have a black one (iT) but>

It requires alot of love, no doubt. The white would be easier but, frankly, not as smokin'. I think either way you go, go with the natural brown and wood trim. The nati doesn't go too well with the alum trim, in my opinion. I wish I had your decision to make!
Old 02-12-2005, 08:32 AM
ELmO

No, I'm not a girl. The white looks "prettier" but not as sexy as the black. It's hard to say because I haven't seen it in real life. 80% of the time I see black, it's dirty and looks dull...

I will take the black/brown wtih 18" wheels for a drive today and see hwo it looks. I don't like the 18" M Rims they have on it, look dumb to me. Those wheels in the first post are the common sport package 17" M Rims.

The performance package includes some nicer M Rims (the white pictures them), but 18" is a little harsh I think.

-ELmO
Old 02-12-2005, 08:49 AM
In the Downward Spiral

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 3.0i
I definitely think the white is way hotter...and I'm a guy. Everyone has black leather...be different.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Drives cars for a living!

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335i
you live in Ohio? Get the white car. I have a Orient metallic blue(looks black) 330 and it is a PITA to keep clean in this area. White cars are so much easier to keep looking nice, but it is hard to get a white car to look AS sexy/nice as a dark colored car when both are clean.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: rwd
While in California I concluded that, when clean and under bright sun, Orient Blue and Nat. Brown is my favorite combo. White does not look as expensive and black looks a bit severe. Electric Red was also stunning. I am referring only to convertibles.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:54 AM
aka Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to AsianImage
Mein Auto: Excellence
I always liked WHITE as well....

BUt I agree the SEXY BLACK is hard to deny....but do you want SEXY or do you want to be a little different? I personally...had a gun to my head, and had to make a decision..I would go WHITE.

Certain cars NEED to be black...like...any big mercedes benz IMO..any S class needs to be in black...also...RANGE ROVERS have to be BLACK....any other color just looks silly. Nothing like a completely BLACKED OUT RANGE ROVER MAN!!! Part secret service, part bling bling, gotta love it!

IMG_4675
Old 02-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Drives cars for a living!

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianImage
Certain cars NEED to be black...like...any big mercedes benz IMO..any S class needs to be in black...
That's because MB charges for any color except black! I think it is their way of controling how their cars are veiwed by the public and to keep a certain image(black is sexy and looks expensive).
I somewhat agee with your comment on how some cars MUST be black, but most of the cars you mentioned also look very good in silver(but black is still better looking)
Old 02-12-2005, 12:05 PM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
do know black needs to be washed a lot more often
I think an important factor here is that black is a MUCH harder color to care for than white. It's not simply a matter of it "needs to be washed more often," in fact if you wash a black car more often you will face more swirl marks, scratches and "spider webbing" than you now realize. White is much more forgiving than black, and simply does not show scratches as much. To own a black car as a daily driver, especially in an area like Ohio that experiences harsh winters, there really is almost no way to avoid unsightly wear on the paint without devoting most of your time to car care. You must be willing to accept the fact that a black car will not look like it did in the showroom for very long. I think a white car will maintain that look longer and with less effort. But then I am a perfectionist with my paint care, and I also live in So. Ca. "Spider webbing" just makes me sick. Seeing as how you are putting so much thought into your paint color, you obviously care a lot about your car's appearance. Think about it long and hard before you commit to black. Just MHO.

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)
Old 02-12-2005, 12:16 PM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
FWIW - I would never drive a white car.

Almost without exception white makes a car look cheaper than it is.

That said, black is a PITA to keep clean. Ohh but when its cleaned and polished it looks great!!!

Photobucket
Old 02-12-2005, 12:25 PM
SPF 100 Protection

Mein Auto: truck
I say go with the white/NB
Old 02-12-2005, 12:34 PM
ELmO

As we read this thread, we can see people are on both sides of the fence. As such, it really, as usual, comes down to personal opinion. I just wanted to see what all of your opinions were.

I am willing to keep a car clean. When I wash my 10 year old honda civic it takes me 5-6 hours. I wash it twice, and wax it. The waxing takes me about 3 hours (!). I care for even a 1994 vehicle, but that's why it is not showing any rust and shines like new....

I have decided on the car, options, and price. I have locked 52K after TTL for navigation, heated seats, sports package, xenon lights, integrated garage door opener, automatic, and floor mats. I thikn this was a decent price because I was previously considering 50,800 after TTL for everything but navigation. Sorry about automatic, but I won't be the only one driving this car (Grruu...).

I told my dealer I would tell him what colour I'm choosing by Monday. God help me on this one...I'm torn between how sexy black/black looks when it's waxed, and how "beautiful" white/brown looks at most times.

I will post pictures of the jet black/natural brown interior vehicle I test drove today (and put the top down for all of you to see at 35 degrees).

-ELmO
Old 02-12-2005, 12:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e46 M3
White all the way baby!

In those pictures there is NO comparison. The white screems fun, openness, (SoCal) etc... Black just does not work on a cab. Cab's should be light fun and breezy... I have an Alpine white M3 couple and love it, but coupes look good in all colors including black. But for the cab, there is no better choice than AW. Oh... IMHO
Old 02-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Proud S ponsor

Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
Quote:

Man, the dealership in the background looks AWESOME
Old 02-12-2005, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: '98 323is/'70 TR6 PI
Quote:
As we read this thread, we can see people are on both sides of the fence. As such, it really, as usual, comes down to personal opinion. I just wanted to see what all of your opinions were.

I am willing to keep a car clean. When I wash my 10 year old honda civic it takes me 5-6 hours. I wash it twice, and wax it. The waxing takes me about 3 hours (!). I care for even a 1994 vehicle, but that's why it is not showing any rust and shines like new....

I have decided on the car, options, and price. I have locked 52K after TTL for navigation, heated seats, sports package, xenon lights, integrated garage door opener, automatic, and floor mats. I thikn this was a decent price because I was previously considering 50,800 after TTL for everything but navigation. Sorry about automatic, but I won't be the only one driving this car (Grruu...).

I told my dealer I would tell him what colour I'm choosing by Monday. God help me on this one...I'm torn between how sexy black/black looks when it's waxed, and how "beautiful" white/brown looks at most times.

I will post pictures of the jet black/natural brown interior vehicle I test drove today (and put the top down for all of you to see at 35 degrees).

-ELmO
If you're willing to keep it clean, then seriously the black looks WAY better. The white is feminine looking. The black is much edgier. And no offense to convertible owners out there, but the e46 convertible can use a little "edge" to it. As for natural brown, I think it's a nice alternative--I'm not a fan of beige, but the natural brown is different. Otherwise, I always go with black interiors (yes, even my convertible has a black interior)...
Old 02-12-2005, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: 330i, Toyota Land Cruiser
Once you go black you'll never go back !

Old 02-12-2005, 01:00 PM
ELmO

"The blacker the berry the sweeter the juice"
Old 02-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H
And no offense to convertible owners out there, but the e46 convertible can use a little "edge" to it.
Uh, care to explain this?
Not that I took any offense (yet) ... I'm just not sure what you mean.

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)
Old 02-12-2005, 01:18 PM
Scheiße!!!

Mein Auto: E30 M3
white looks much better, especially with NB
Old 02-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Proud S ponsor

Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Uh, care to explain this?
He's sayin' you drive a SISSY CAR
Old 02-12-2005, 01:24 PM
In the Downward Spiral

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippek
He's sayin' you drive a SISSY CAR

My wife does have one of those...
Old 02-12-2005, 01:31 PM
ELmO

Here are the black with brown pictures. You can see, it is quite dirty (argh). It's 36 degrees out, and there are a lot of people walking their dogs and walking around outside (it's quite warm compared to the past few weeks of snowy weather):

I don't like that rim, the 18" ride was fine though. I am sticking with the stock sports package 17" rim.
-ELmO