Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 02-12-2005, 02:53 PM
takes the long way home..

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP
Anyone have the BMW credit card?

What's the return on a new bimmer?

Advertisement
Old 02-12-2005, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizat63
What's the return on a new bimmer?
One...MILLION DOLLARS!

J/K.

http://fs.bmwusa.com/BmwFsPulp/CRCAR...rdBenefits.htm
Old 02-12-2005, 03:16 PM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27817

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16490
Old 02-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Why does anyone need a BMW credit card? To make you feel special when you make those purchases and say, "I bought that on my BMW credit card." Is it a status symbol? There are better credit cards out there, unless you are just hurting for a card.

2003 325i
Old 02-12-2005, 07:21 PM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICMY325i
Why does anyone need a BMW credit card? To make you feel special when you make those purchases and say, "I bought that on my BMW credit card." Is it a status symbol? There are better credit cards out there, unless you are just hurting for a card.
I have one. I have a very good rate (which apparently is below their best published rate). You have the option to skip a month's payment without penalty (as long as you paid the minimum last month) - handy when I'm traveling. And the only thing that comes with the bill is the bill - no unrelated offers stuffed inside or stupid coupons you have to tear off the envelope if paying by mail.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:32 PM
Empowered Consumer

Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Up to 5K back on your next BMWFS lease or loan? That sucks. I always assumed you could reduce your purchase price with those points.

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 02-12-2005, 09:00 PM

I couldn't care less what the interest rate is. But how much $ could I take off a new bimmer for every $1000 that I put on it? Their site isn't clear. I'm assuming it's 1%

Old 02-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Empowered Consumer

Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizat63
I couldn't care less what the interest rate is. But how much $ could I take off a new bimmer for every $1000 that I put on it? Their site isn't clear. I'm assuming it's 1%
You can't take anything off a bimmer unless you're going to lease or finance it through them.

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 02-12-2005, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum
You can't take anything off a bimmer unless you're going to lease or finance it through them.

Alex
That's

Old 02-15-2005, 09:07 AM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
I looked into that card, but the return isn't good. You need to charge some crazy number like 500K in 5 years or something like that before you can earn the 5K off.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330ci ZHP, 1998 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderato
I looked into that card, but the return isn't good. You need to charge some crazy number like 500K in 5 years or something like that before you can earn the 5K off.
I calced it out with the wife a few months ago, and essentially if we charge everything we normally buy to this card and pay it off each month we would pay no interest and receive about $2000 off of a 3-year lease. That's about 3-4 car payments for us, so we're going to go for it.

Wish I had done that 3 years ago and joined BMWCCA -- our current '05 330ci MSRP would have gone from $41k to $37.5... if we had done European Delivery too it would've been around $35-$36k
Old 02-15-2005, 06:02 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowag
I calced it out with the wife a few months ago, and essentially if we charge everything we normally buy to this card and pay it off each month we would pay no interest and receive about $2000 off of a 3-year lease. That's about 3-4 car payments for us, so we're going to go for it.

Wish I had done that 3 years ago and joined BMWCCA -- our current '05 330ci MSRP would have gone from $41k to $37.5... if we had done European Delivery too it would've been around $35-$36k

What exactly are the terms? Maybe you earn more points if it's put toward leasing? I think I looked at the points you earn to pay for repairs because I don't lease cars, so for that it wasn't worth it at all. Anyway, I also have a Subaru Outback also and I have a Subaru card for that, it's a really good deal. You earn 3% on ALL purchases and can save up to $500 per year that you can put towards repairs, parts or a car purchase. After I get the $500 then I use my other car for the rest of the year which gives me about a $300 cash rebate. Not bad, they pay me $800 bucks a year just for using the cards, I always pay the balance so I don't pay interest.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330ci ZHP, 1998 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderato
What exactly are the terms? Maybe you earn more points if it's put toward leasing? I think I looked at the points you earn to pay for repairs because I don't lease cars, so for that it wasn't worth it at all. Anyway, I also have a Subaru Outback also and I have a Subaru card for that, it's a really good deal. You earn 3% on ALL purchases and can save up to $500 per year that you can put towards repairs, parts or a car purchase. After I get the $500 then I use my other car for the rest of the year which gives me about a $300 cash rebate. Not bad, they pay me $800 bucks a year just for using the cards, I always pay the balance so I don't pay interest.
I'll have to dig up the PDF file I had that listed the perks. It was something like for X points you get $1000 applied to your BMW FS balance, for Y points you get $500 applied to repairs, etc. It definitely had points that could be applied to service, though.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:16 PM
ober-slacker

Send a message via AIM to WAM
Mein Auto: 325i Sport
I have one and it has worked great for me. We use it as our primary card and pretty much charge everything on it. I pay it off every month so the interest rates, whatever they are, are not an issue.

I belong to the old rewards scheme where I pay $50 every year. In return I get 1 point for every $ spent, 2 on gasoline purchases. For every 10,000 points, you can get a $100 dividend check, payable to the BMW dealer of your choice. You can use the checks for anything, parts, service, vehicle purchases, etc.

The new rewards system is free but you get 1 point for every $2 spent and I believe the dividend checks cost more points too.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:45 PM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM
I belong to the old rewards scheme where I pay $50 every year. In return I get 1 point for every $ spent, 2 on gasoline purchases. For every 10,000 points, you can get a $100 dividend check, payable to the BMW dealer of your choice. You can use the checks for anything, parts, service, vehicle purchases, etc.

The new rewards system is free but you get 1 point for every $2 spent and I believe the dividend checks cost more points too.
OMG, that sounds like a horrible deal! For spending $20K on the card all you get is a measley $100 to spend at a dealer? That's like a 0.5% return!

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)
Old 02-16-2005, 09:29 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM
I have one and it has worked great for me. We use it as our primary card and pretty much charge everything on it. I pay it off every month so the interest rates, whatever they are, are not an issue.

There are much better rebate cards out there.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:26 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
No point to it other than having a card with BMW logo. Citi Dividend pays 5% back on gas and groceries (which is most of purchases anyway plus their grocery definition is very broad) and 1% on anything else. Had it for over 2 years now.
Couldn't care less about the rate. Don't even know what it is. Borrowing money with a credit card sounds like a bad idea unless you do these 0 or 1% deals for 6 months or so to get cheap cash and roll it over to some other card by the end of the term.