Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-14-2005, 05:02 AM
ELmO

Send a message via AIM to elmalloc Send a message via MSN to elmalloc Send a message via Yahoo to elmalloc
Mein Auto: 05 330 CIC
Thanks for making me uneasy about black again. I can't believe anyone would hand wash their car twice a day, that must be exaggeration.

Other people I talk to say they dust the car once a day (1-2 minutes), and wash their car once a month. They wax their car once every 3 months.

That is something much more reasonable. Please do not exaggerate as I have no clue, because I wash/wax my current car once every 6 months because it's a boring looking honda.

I can't see gray/brown in real life, it doesn't hit me as great colour combo (a personal preference I presume), just as the black/brown didn't hit me as great (and I drove that in real life) - argh.

I've seen silver with Cinnamom on an M3. Alpine white with natural brown looks great, but it isn't sexy enough....

THanks,
ELmO
Old 02-14-2005, 07:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 330CIC
Maintenance of black cars is way overstated.

The fact is that how you wash your car equally effects all colors when you get fairly close to the car. If you don't do it correctly, you wind up with swirls which detract from the look of any color. After a dusty car gets rained on it doesn't look good but I have always maintained that it is the wheels which really make a car look bad when they are dirty. It doesn't take hours to properly wash a car unless you are worried about the inside of the rims, etc. If you use a microfiber mitt and microfiber towels and good quality auto shampoo you won't take that long to wash your car. If you take it to a car wash it will look like crap from all the swirl marks. You can pay a good detailer a couple of hundred bucks every six to nine months and was the car properly and it will be a joy to own in any color. The fact is that BMWs look great in black and ask any high end used car dealer and they will tell you that a well prepped black car sells the best with silver a very close second.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:37 AM
ELmO

Send a message via AIM to elmalloc Send a message via MSN to elmalloc Send a message via Yahoo to elmalloc
Silver is very low upkeep, black is on the other side of upkeeping - but it certainly does look better to me.

QUestoin, is it wrong ot use power washes (that have no brushes)?

just a question, I am open to washing my car by hand on a weekly basis anyway.

-ELmO
Old 02-14-2005, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 325i ZSP
Ok, twice a day is an exaggeration -- but it sure felt like it was that much.

It takes me years washing it because I want to be so careful not to leave swirl marks (as I said appear easily on black) .. I do half the hood, rinse the mitt, resoak in soap, the other half, rinse the mitt off, resoak in soap, one fender, rinse the mitt, resoak in soap (don't want any dirt particles left on it)...

Some people may find that crazy, I guess I care about the car too much.

And yeh, washing the wheels takes a huge amount of time as well...

But anyways, regarding the black.. again it really DOES take a lot of effort to maintain, rather than all the other colors... IF you are willing to do it, go for it... It does look great when it is clean (See picture)

Also, I attached some stock photos from the BMW Build Your Own web site to show the Silver/NB combo... not too bad I guess... I forgot how dark NB is ..... I was thinking the lighter color SAND... that one doesn't look too good on Silver... NB may be alright.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MYBLACK325I.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	44612   Click image for larger version

Name:	SILVNATB1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	44613   Click image for larger version

Name:	SILVNATB2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	44614  
Old 02-14-2005, 08:22 AM
ELmO

Can you please send me that website link to the BMW "Build your own"?

Thanks!
ELmO
Old 02-14-2005, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 325i ZSP
Well the first one is off the UK site...
http://ecom.bmwgroup.com/ecom32/GB/B...26506678801973

And the second pic is from the USA site..
http://byo.bmwusa.com/configurator/c...=XAB50BMC224A0
Old 02-14-2005, 11:21 AM
ELmO

Thanks for the UK link.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: Soon to be 330 Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
It's funny, I'm indecisive about a lot of stuff... but when it came to my BMW, there was no competition, no questions, no ifs, ands, or buts.... it was love at first sight! The very first time I laid eyes on my precious 330cic: Silver Grey Metallic, black leather, style 71's... it was like being hit with a bolt of lightning! I knew in an instant it was "the one" ... I had to have that car! It was probably the easiest sale my CA ever had.

Ever since I've been treating it like Gollum with that damn ring.

--J.
Wow, so its true, sometimes you actually KNOW what you want??! I can't wait for that to happen to ME! I bet my ex-fiancee wishes it would've happened already...
Old 02-14-2005, 12:53 PM
ELmO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterRain
Wow, so its true, sometimes you actually KNOW what you want??! I can't wait for that to happen to ME! I bet my ex-fiancee wishes it would've happened already...
Hasnt hit me yet.e Better hit me quick, supposed to tell the dealer today what I want!

How about this instead? This is for sale in las vegas for 46K. 26K miles. M3, SMG:

Looks a lot better than our 330 cics =(. It's a couple thousand cheaper than an new 330cic also! Seems every m3 convertible I see looks great in pictures, can't say the same for 330...what I do?

SMG transmisiosn sucks huh? Even for automatic driving?

-ELmO
Old 02-14-2005, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: Soon to be 330 Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Hasnt hit me yet.e Better hit me quick, supposed to tell the dealer today what I want!

How about this instead? This is for sale in las vegas for 46K. 26K miles. M3, SMG:

Looks a lot better than our 330 cics =(. It's a couple thousand cheaper than an new 330cic also! Seems every m3 convertible I see looks great in pictures, can't say the same for 330...what I do?

SMG transmisiosn sucks huh? Even for automatic driving?

-ELmO
Gorgeous car, no doubt. I thought about a used M3 as well, but then remembered how I would drive an M3...HARD.

I'm paying 46K for ED (2K over ED invoice) on a brand new 330 Cic including tax, xenons, sport, coldweather, and pdc. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's built for it, but I want to be the one putting the miles on it, and the 225 is plenty under the hood...333 hp would just get me more speeding tickets.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:23 PM
ELmO

I agree, I want to be hte person putting the miles on it. Is that 46K after tax?