Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 02-12-2005, 10:22 PM
iDriveguy

Send a message via Yahoo to iDriveguy
Mein Auto: 2 E60's, 1 VW TDI, 1 MINI
Arrow Blah-Blah-Blah-BLUETOOTH (The "final" word")

Cheers all,

Just thout I'd post this since I have done so on so many other forums.

The below only applies to E60 model year 2005 with a production date of 9/04 or newer.
Feel free to contact me directly with any questions.

Cheers for now! ;-)

PHONE COMPATIBILITY:
In the never ending story of Bluetooth compatibility for the new E60
I thought I'd share the below. Note: This is AFTER I purchased (then returned) a Nokia 6230.

- My Car = 2005 E60 w/build date of 9/04
- Told by dealer prod. date was too early to have Bluetooth
- Dealer WRONG = all 2005 E60 from 9/04 are Bluetooth enabled
- No additional software "update" required
- Nokia 6230 = paired but BMW acted only as a giant "speaker phone"
- 6230 = not integrated w/iDrive screen or steering wheel buttons
- Sony Ericsson T637 = FULLY compatible
- Paired in less than 30 seconds
- Integrated w/iDrive, steering wheel, stereo, mute, etc. FULLY
- No need to take to dealer for pairing or assistance
- Total cost = $109 for T637 w/ $70 rebate. Total exp. after = $39
- ZERO extra cost to have dealer "pair" phone w/car

I did have to switch from Verizon to Cingular (frankly I don't care since you can "port" numbers now). Cingular/AT&T = only provider offering Sony Ericsson T610, T616, T630 & T637 - all of which are listed by BMW as being "compatible". The only down side = had to sign a 2yr contract w/Cingular.

PHONE CRADLE/CHARGER:
This IS the definitive word - don't let your dealers/parts guy tell you different. The below parts are not only required to fit your (Sony Ericsson) phone into the E60, they also fit PERFECTLY and can be installed in LESS than 60min. (possible less than 30min by a "pro")

BMW parts needed for Sony Ericsson phone:
- Adapter: part #84210304298 = $140
- Eject Box: part #84216946075 = $120
- Support: part #51167060175 = $20

Note: Above prices include 10% BMWCCA discount

These three parts together REPLACE the "coin tray" inside the center arm rest of the E60. The parts (snapped together as one unit) allow the driver to secure a Sony Ericsson phone and have it charge while in the car and utilize the vehicles phone antenna.

A HUGE thanks to mrbelk for his descriptive install instructions & pictures. Note: mrbelks pix & instructions outline install for CPT 9000 phone - it is EXACTLY the same for Sony Ericsson Bluetooth phones.

Another big cheers to "Gary" of Stevens Creek BMW in San Jose, CA - Gary did all the leg work, obtained the parts and did so WITHOUT making me pay for them first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 Alpine-Sapphire boot.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	44537   Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 Alpine #2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	44538   Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 Sapphire #1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	44539   Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 Alpine-Sapphire #2.jpg
Views:	5366
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	44540  
Ads by Google
Old 02-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Z4 M coupe, F07 550i GT

Mein Auto: Z4MCoupe, 550 GT, 840Ci
Cool.

That's really similar to this post IIRC

Seriously though, is there an equally definitive E46 post?
Old 02-13-2005, 09:03 PM
Le fabuleux destin

Mein Auto: F30 328i x two
I got a T637 for this reason. Good times.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 330i ZHP
From what I have read, it seems like bluetooth doesn't work in a BMW without the phone being hard-docked into an adapter. What's the point then of "bluetooth" (other than to speak thru the radio & assist mic?)?
Old 02-13-2005, 10:52 PM

Mein Auto: 328xiT & M roadster
Not entirely correct...

Quote:
From what I have read, it seems like bluetooth doesn't work in a BMW without the phone being hard-docked into an adapter. What's the point then of "bluetooth" (other than to speak thru the radio & assist mic?)?
With a completely compatible phone you have two options: (1) don't use the parts listed above and the car provides hands-free speaker and mic along with phonebook and dialing or (2) use the parts and add in-car charging and direct connection to the external antenna to the bluetooth stuff in (1).
Old 02-13-2005, 11:43 PM
ex-M couper

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Clevenger
Mein Auto: '06 650i Coupe
Exactly. In my E46 ('04 325xiT) my Motorola V600 works beautifully with voice dialling and all that while remaining in my belt holster. That way I don't forget and leave it in the car when I get out (yes, I tend to do that if the phone is not right in front of me). The downside is that I must remember to charge it up every night -- so far that's not been a problem. And I'm sure that the connection to the cell network would be better with the external antenna, but so far that has not been a problem either.
I plan to keep a car charger for the V600 in the car so that I can keep it charged on extended trips.

So you have your choice: use the phone "as-is" or get the extra parts and trade your cupholders for a phone mount. Either way works.

Monaco Blue 650i coupe; 6MT, HUD, ACC, ZCW, ZPS. Redelivered 20 July 2006
Old 02-14-2005, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDriveguy
These three parts together REPLACE the "coin tray" inside the center arm rest of the E60. The parts (snapped together as one unit) allow the driver to secure a Sony Ericsson phone and have it charge while in the car and utilize the vehicles phone antenna.
Is there a noticeable improvement in reception or sound quality with an adaptor? I use my cell without it and it works pretty well. Is it worth $$$ if I don't care about the charger capability? Thanks.

European Delivery on 10/11/04
Old 02-14-2005, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: '05 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-y
With a completely compatible phone you have two options: (1) don't use the parts listed above and the car provides hands-free speaker and mic along with phonebook and dialing or (2) use the parts and add in-car charging and direct connection to the external antenna to the bluetooth stuff in (1).
Finally! My bluetooth dreams have been answered (I can keep my cupholders!). Thanks for the clarification.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:41 AM
Z4 M coupe, F07 550i GT

Mein Auto: Z4MCoupe, 550 GT, 840Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clevenger
Exactly. In my E46 ('04 325xiT) my Motorola V600 works beautifully with voice dialling and all that while remaining in my belt holster. That way I don't forget and leave it in the car when I get out (yes, I tend to do that if the phone is not right in front of me). The downside is that I must remember to charge it up every night -- so far that's not been a problem. And I'm sure that the connection to the cell network would be better with the external antenna, but so far that has not been a problem either.
I plan to keep a car charger for the V600 in the car so that I can keep it charged on extended trips.

So you have your choice: use the phone "as-is" or get the extra parts and trade your cupholders for a phone mount. Either way works.
**Mea Culpa: I didn't do an archive search before asking the question***
Can I do this with my 325xit with build date 5/02 (with nav)?
I assume there's the e46 retrofit to do.
Which carrier uses the V600?
Old 02-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by uter
... yes, using the BT ULF module.

http://www.bimmernav.com/pdf/E46_installation.pdf

http://www.bimmernav.com/page4.html

V600 is currently T-Mobile (I do not see it anymore at Cingular/ATT)... it's going to be replaced by the V635 soon.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:17 PM
iDriveguy

Wink Second b-y's sentiments

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktc
Cheers!

You DO NOT need the cradle/adaptor parts I listed. You can place your (T610, T616, T630 or T637) in the glove box, trunk or up your arse. It will work - I promise!

The cradle/adapter is simply for REALLY anal guys like me that must have everything "in it's place"... Besides, the cradle allows for a secure dock w/o the phone sliding around and it charges.

Cheers for now!
Old 02-14-2005, 10:24 PM
iDriveguy

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterous
Is there a noticeable improvement in reception or sound quality with an adaptor? I use my cell without it and it works pretty well. Is it worth $$$ if I don't care about the charger capability? Thanks.

Cheers,

No "noticeable" improvement in sound/reception quality. Albeit the main benefit for me is; 1.) charges while docked and 2.) securely holds phone.

Speaking only for the T637 - I have found the reception/sound quality to be superb. Callers ringing me indicate I sound slightly "hallow" but VERY clear... It does not sound as if I'm on a speaker phone to the party on the other end. It is completely clear even with the sunroof open - albeit, I tend to close it if using the phone at freeway speeds.

Cheers for now!
Old 02-14-2005, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto: 330xi, X5 3.0
I just did a 2005 TCU retrofit in my 04/2004 X5. Bluetooth is working, but when I dock the phone in the cradle the signal drops. This leads me to believe I need to add a secondary cell antenna, assuming Assist is using the only external cell antenna. Can anyone confirm this?

-Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDriveguy
Cheers,

No "noticeable" improvement in sound/reception quality. Albeit the main benefit for me is; 1.) charges while docked and 2.) securely holds phone.

Speaking only for the T637 - I have found the reception/sound quality to be superb. Callers ringing me indicate I sound slightly "hallow" but VERY clear... It does not sound as if I'm on a speaker phone to the party on the other end. It is completely clear even with the sunroof open - albeit, I tend to close it if using the phone at freeway speeds.

Cheers for now!
Old 02-14-2005, 11:54 PM
ex-M couper

Quote:
Originally Posted by uter
My V600 is on T-Mobile.
Since you have the Nav, I assume you also have Assist.

You will need the ULF module (part #84-21-6-955-522) and ONLY the pairing button and its adapter cable from the BT installation kit -- Assist already has the rest of the parts of the install kit already in your car. You will also need to either get the ULF module mounting bracket or modify the Assist bracket (not hard).

You can get the latest ULF module from www.bimmernav.com and I believe he has the instructions on that site as well.
The hard part for me was getting the Assist module out.

When doing the install, the instructions tell you to locate the cable with the 54-pin connector. Well, that cable is plugged into the Assist module, so don't wast as much time as I did looking for a loose cable! You should already have the BT antenna in your wagon.

I didn't bother mounting the pairing button. I'm just going to drop it down below the coin holder since I don't need to use it once pairing is done.

Good luck. I don't KNOW if the 5/02 build is any different from my 8/04 build, but I doubt it.

Old 02-15-2005, 02:47 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
My V600 is on T-Mobile.
Since you have the Nav, I assume you also have Assist.

You will need the ULF module (part #84-21-6-955-522) and ONLY the pairing button and its adapter cable from the BT installation kit -- Assist already has the rest of the parts of the install kit already in your car. You will also need to either get the ULF module mounting bracket or modify the Assist bracket (not hard).

You can get the latest ULF module from www.bimmernav.com and I believe he has the instructions on that site as well.
The hard part for me was getting the Assist module out.

When doing the install, the instructions tell you to locate the cable with the 54-pin connector. Well, that cable is plugged into the Assist module, so don't wast as much time as I did looking for a loose cable! You should already have the BT antenna in your wagon.

I didn't bother mounting the pairing button. I'm just going to drop it down below the coin holder since I don't need to use it once pairing is done.

Good luck. I don't KNOW if the 5/02 build is any different from my 8/04 build, but I doubt it.
... there is no Assist in 02 models. It is a straight forward plug and play Bluetooth ULF module.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:08 AM
ex-M couper

Oh, --- well I learned something today then.
Thanks for the info.

Old 02-26-2005, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 525i
First post like to say welcome, Just got my 2005 525i tonight.. Its wonderfull. Id like to know how to get my T-mobile V600 to work though. The build date on my car is 9/04 and my phone has bluetooth. I go to communications on Idrive and it says enable phone. I set my phone to find bluetooth but nothing happans when am I doing wrong. ?

I read the thread but didnt really understand what I should do to get it working. I looked through the user manual for the communications part of the Idrive but no real info was there.

Can anyone help me out.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:14 PM
iDriveguy

Unhappy Sadly your phone is not compatible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrarislave
First post like to say welcome, Just got my 2005 525i tonight.. Its wonderfull. Id like to know how to get my T-mobile V600 to work though. The build date on my car is 9/04 and my phone has bluetooth. I go to communications on Idrive and it says enable phone. I set my phone to find bluetooth but nothing happans when am I doing wrong. ?

I read the thread but didnt really understand what I should do to get it working. I looked through the user manual for the communications part of the Idrive but no real info was there.

Can anyone help me out.

There are several lists floating around this and other forums with "compatible" phones. While I won't go as far to say the lists are wrong.... I will only say the list I have attached here is the ONLY list (REPEAT), ONLY list "approved" by BMW. This is not to say others won't work, I'm just saying the phones on this list are guarenteed to work.

I was on verizon with a motorola phone - switched to Cingular and purchased a T637 (not on list but same as T630) so I could have Bluetooth compatibility.

I'm sad to report your V600 is nont compatible... sorry.

25 February 05 UPDATE:
TREO 650 FULLY COMPATIBLE with BMW BT.
Purchased Treo 650 - paired with Sapphire E60 perfectly.

Note: Did require a BT update download from Palm but other than that - PERFECTION!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW approved phones.pdf (86.9 KB, 87 views)
Old 02-26-2005, 07:32 PM

I see but if it did, would i be able to just go in and it would find the phone and it would work. ??

Thats the worse selection of phones I have ever seen all the lowest ends phone here in the united states basically. The Motorola RZR not supported V600 not supported V650 not supported...

Last edited by Ferrarislave; 02-26-2005 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 325xiT 5spManual
[QUOTE=iDriveguy]There are several lists floating around this and other forums with "compatible" phones. While I won't go as far to say the lists are wrong.... I will only say the list I have attached here is the ONLY list (REPEAT), ONLY list "approved" by BMW. This is not to say others won't work, I'm just saying the phones on this list are guarenteed to work.

The above list is already a bit dated being from July 2003. Attached here in a PDF file is the most recent list, February 2005, of recommend Bluetooth phones for BMW's.
Joe B
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW North America - Bluetooth Technology.pdf (333.0 KB, 1032 views)

Last edited by blockpavick; 02-26-2005 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:04 PM

Very nice its supported... It says you can generate a random pass key int he 5-series how can I do this to get my v600 integrated. Im really exited about seeing it in action.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:22 PM
USC Yque

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:

Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I hope to add Bluetooth on mein auto but did not want to 'lose' my beloved coin tray.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:05 PM
iDriveguy

Talking BMW BT pairing instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrarislave
I see but if it did, would i be able to just go in and it would find the phone and it would work. ??

Thats the worse selection of phones I have ever seen all the lowest ends phone here in the united states basically. The Motorola RZR not supported V600 not supported V650 not supported...

Follow these directions - it worked for me!

Damn! Couldn't get file to upload so here it is as a "cut & paste". Cheers!

ACTIVATING BLUETOOTH E60/E63/E64

This procedure must be carried out first in order to properly pair a handset to the vehicle.

2. From the start menu press briefly down on the controller.
3. Scroll down to the "Communication settings" and select.
4. Select "Bluetooth" and press controller.
5. Select "Settings" and press controller.
6. Select "Bluetooth communication active" and press the controller to activate the connection.
7. Exit back to the start menu.

PAIRING THE HANDSET TO THE VEHICLE E60/E63/E64

Turn the key on.

From the start menu press briefly down on the controller.

Scroll down to the "Communication settings" and select.

Select "Bluetooth" and press controller.

Select "Phone" and press controller.

Once the message "Bluetooth connectable in this menu" is displayed the vehicle is in pairable mode.

Your handset should now be set to search for BT devices. See the Owner's Manual for your handset

In order to pair you must enter a random passkey both via the handset and via the CID. The passkey can be any number that you choose up to 16 digits long.

Via the CID select "Add device" and press controller.

Enter your passkey. Depending on the handset, you will have approximately 30 seconds to enter the passkey on the handset and the CID.

Enter the same passkey in the handset and in the display.

Select "Confirm passkey and press the controller.

After a few seconds your device will be listed.

Depending on the handset, the device will ask you to accept connection.

You must exit this menu in order for the handset to operate correctly.

Turn the key off. When the key is turned on the handset will connect and transfer the phonebook entries from the handset. This may take several minutes depending on the size of the phonebook.

Up to 4 handsets can be paired to the vehicle.

Please consult the Owner's Manual of the handset for additional information.

[ Copyright © 2004 BMW of North America, LLC ]