Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-13-2005, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series
Question Fault Codes

I took my car in for a 60k Inspection II and my mechanic said everything looked good but that the car did store 2 fault codes.

123 Map Cooling

106 Vanos Position

He said that the check engine light would have come on, but I watch that thing religiously and know it hasn't come on. He said it could be a fluke but to watch and see if it goes off again.

What do these Fault Codes mean specifically? anyone know? Thank for the help...

Old 02-13-2005, 12:40 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 5/01 production 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRZY BMW
I took my car in for a 60k Inspection II and my mechanic said everything looked good but that the car did store 2 fault codes.

123 Map Cooling

106 Vanos Position

He said that the check engine light would have come on, but I watch that thing religiously and know it hasn't come on. He said it could be a fluke but to watch and see if it goes off again.

What do these Fault Codes mean specifically? anyone know? Thank for the help...

Probably intermittent, and nothing ot worry about. The Map Cooling code is related to the electrically controlled thermostat, and simply means that something was amiss during an automatic diag cycle in checking the current flow through the unit. If there's a real problem, it will happen again, and your SES light will come on.

The VANOS error code is probably due to a transient error with one of the cam shaft position sensors. The exhaust cam sensor has historically had some reliability problems, and can cause VANOS error codes. However, this code is not the one I've typically seen related to the exhaust cam sensor, so it's a little mysterious.

Bottom line: If your motor seems to be running fine, has the familiar power and torque characteristics you're used to, is running smoothly and not having idle problems, don't worry about it so long as you don't get an SES light. Both of these components will cause the SES to light if they cause two failures within the prescribed OBD drive cycle. It's not uncommon for transient conditions to cause a false positive from time to time in the on board engine diagnostics, which is the reason the OBD II drive cycle specs require consecutive failures within a prescribed drive cycle profile before alerting the driver to a problem.

It's probably worthwhile to clear the fault codes with a code reader tool (if the BMW tech didn't already), and then check again after a dozen or so drive cycles (assuming the MIL doesn't light up), to see if it occurred again intermittently. Code reader tools are pretty cheap -- you can pick one up new these days for about $70 new, and they go on sale frequently. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find one on eBay or another auction site used for $20-30, although I haven't looked.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series
Thanks

Hey, thanks for the help... I've already cleared it and will wait to see if it goes off again.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Roadster 3.0i
I have a bmw z3 2001 roaster 3.0i its has 4 codes p0174, p0171 and there tell me " system too lean bank 1 and bank 2" I change oil filter, air filter, before I was using 89 octane gas now I put 93 octane also i put full injector cleaner. I change also spark plug and a bootbroke that is part of the mass flow system. The other codes p0369 that tell me the camshaft position sensor "B" Bank 1 is wrong, and p0313 that is a misfire has ocurred with low fuel. I still have the codes after the little tune up and I don't know if the sensor could be the promblem. Main problem is the car has two camshaft position sensor and wish one is for bank 1 and wish one is for bank two. How can I clean all codes and wish one sensor is to be change The intake Camshaft position sensor or The exhaust camshaft positin sensor, if that the problem the codes go away or is that I need to reset something. Thank you