Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 06-28-2002, 08:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325
read the "tyre" review from EVO magazine this month? (S-03 compared to contisports..

i picked up EVO last night at barnes and noble.

i only bought it because they tested 7 or 8 high end tires, tires which often come up in our quest to improve our cars' handling.

the eventual winner using their parameters was the new goodyear GSC or something or other. but this test was useful as it gave some great feedback on the bridgestone S03's versus the michelin pilot sports versus dunlop SP9000s versus conti contisport tires.

most of the feedback i have seen posted here plus my own opinions seemed pretty accurate. the dunflops are more suited for wet weather at high cost to dry handling; the pilot sports are amazingly mediocre given the price....i was amazed at how well the conti's did, though.

'think the S03s did not fare well in subjective tests, but they had the highest levels of grip in the dry.
Ads by Google
Old 06-28-2002, 08:12 AM
I like cookies.

Mein Auto: 328Ci
Re: read the "tyre" review from EVO magazine this month? (S-03 compared to contisports..

Quote:
Originally posted by blackdawg

'think the S03s did not fare well in subjective tests, but they had the highest levels of grip in the dry.
Hurt by noise and ride quality?

I'll have to pick this one up. July '02 issue?
Old 06-28-2002, 08:13 AM
Double Bimmers

Mein Auto: 2003 330i & 1988 325is
Was it the ContiSport II's that were tested?

I know most of us only have experiance with the original ContiSports, but the new Conti II may prove to be better?
Old 06-28-2002, 08:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325
vaguely recall:

the S03's weren't hurt by noise so much as by subjective "feel" at the limits...something about pushing more and not a gentle transition to loose?

the continentals tested are the first generation contisport contact tires....nowhere did i see the "II" appellation and the picture of the tread pattern also jives with the first generation tire.
Old 06-28-2002, 08:33 AM
Double Bimmers

Mein Auto: 2003 330i & 1988 325is
Re: vaguely recall:

Quote:
Originally posted by blackdawg
the S03's weren't hurt by noise so much as by subjective "feel" at the limits...something about pushing more and not a gentle transition to loose?
When they are cold... well, I have had a few moments where my heart skiped a beat. Since then, I have learned not to try anything in cold weather until I have been driving for a few miles.
Old 06-30-2002, 05:39 AM
'Fester

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
I have new S-03's and after 200 miles so far they feel good. They feel alot better than the Pilot Sports even in the rain. I was impressed with the Pilots, but so far the S-03's are quieter and have better grip.
Old 06-30-2002, 08:55 AM
Gone Motoring!

Send a message via Skype™ to ayn
Mein Auto: Smart Fortwo cab
thanks for the head up, i'll have to go read it at BN! EVO is a *great* magazine, kindda expensive though...

my gym is across the freeway from BN, so I can stop by after workout...

--Andrew