Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

Old 02-13-2005, 08:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i ZHP
New York Parking Garage

I had to go into the city to meet some friends last evening. I hate doing this because I know it is trouble for my car. Anyway, I made a decision to park in a garage rather than on the street. Of course, when my car was returned to me, it had a nice deep scratch in the rear bumper apron. This was likely caused by my car being parked up against another car's license plate. It pisses me off, but I realize I shouldn't get mad. I really need to buy a junker for the city and mall. Now I have to get the bumper re-painted. Yes, I asked to speak to the manager, but all the attendants started to pretend that they didn't understand english. The trouble with owning this car is that it is too stressful keeping the car in good condition. I sometimes miss my accord because I didn't care what happened to it.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:28 PM
Le plaisir de conduire

Send a message via AIM to JAWJr
Mein Auto: All Manuals
That's terrible- I stress all the time too- we all do. I think of Ferris Buelers Day Off when I think about leaving it in a garage. Simply put, I don't think I will ever (if possible) leave my car with valet. I've worked in hotels- they just don't care as much as we do.

~Jon

1991 318is | BrilliantRot / Natur ette' | Manual | Fogs | Sunroof

2009 135i Cp | Alpine White / Black Plastic Cow | ZSP | ZPS SOLD

2007 Z4 R 3.0i | Silber Grau / Dream Red | ZSP | 711 | 522 | 494 SOLD

2007 335i Cp | A61 / LCSW | ZPP | ZSP | 322 | 4AS | 609 | 655 SOLD

2005 DINAN 330Ci | Silber Grau / Alacantara | ZHP | ED 12.10.04 SOLD

Old 02-13-2005, 08:54 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
When I was 17, I had a weekend job valet-parking cars for a very upscale restaurant....Jags, Ferraris, Porsches, you name it (BMW had`nt yet made it to the US) All of the more interesting cars were checked for their ability to burn rubber.....I doubt that much has changed....

Regards,
Bob
Old 02-13-2005, 09:31 PM
Shakin' and Bakin'

Mein Auto: '05 325Ci
The garage where I keep my car terrifies me...the cars are parked two deep, so I always try to be against the wall so the attendants don't move it. When I get them to move the car that's blocking me in so I can leave, they drive it like a bat out of hell....definitely didn't want someone burning rubber in my car during the break-in period

Never, ever, ever gonna let anyone else drive this thing unless I absolutely positively have no other option. Of course, part of that is just selfishness too
Old 02-13-2005, 10:42 PM

Mein Auto: 3x330,AMV8,996GT2
hMms... the way we treat our cars seems obsessive... I know I stopped with my first scratch.. Are all car brand owners like this? I can see the German brands eliciting the same responses (BMW, Benz, Porsche)..
Old 02-13-2005, 10:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to BillKach
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 vert
I've been dreading the inevitable situation of having to valet my new 6er - especially with SMG! But sometimes there's no other option.
2004 545i TiAg/Black/Anthracite, Step, SP (ED 11/03, sold 4/05)
2001 330Cic Steel Blue/Black, retired
1998 Z3 2.8 Montreal Blue/Black, retired
Old 02-13-2005, 10:57 PM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob
When I was 17, I had a weekend job valet-parking cars for a very upscale restaurant....Jags, Ferraris, Porsches, you name it (BMW had`nt yet made it to the US)
Holy crap what year was that?

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)
Old 02-14-2005, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: '03 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330soon2b
I had to go into the city to meet some friends last evening. I hate doing this because I know it is trouble for my car. Anyway, I made a decision to park in a garage rather than on the street. Of course, when my car was returned to me, it had a nice deep scratch in the rear bumper apron. This was likely caused by my car being parked up against another car's license plate. It pisses me off, but I realize I shouldn't get mad. I really need to buy a junker for the city and mall. Now I have to get the bumper re-painted. Yes, I asked to speak to the manager, but all the attendants started to pretend that they didn't understand english. The trouble with owning this car is that it is too stressful keeping the car in good condition. I sometimes miss my accord because I didn't care what happened to it.
I gotta say that I've had good luck so far w/ valets/garages in the loop. I mean, I try to go back to places that I know, and I tip well (I consider it micro-insurance against hellraising). Car has always come back the way I left it.

Going to knock on some wood now...

ZPP · CWP · Xenon · Phatbox · Bluetooth · Homelink
Old 02-14-2005, 10:47 AM
•••••••

Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
I park in a garage in midtown daily. They're pretty good and careful, but the occasional bumper scuff is to be expected... just a part of life... price of admission. There's really no such thing as a car older than a couple of months with pristine bumpers in NYC. (Except maybe alee's)

At the end of the day, it's just a car. And plastic bumpers are cheaper to replace than sheet metal.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
There's really no such thing as a car older than a couple of months with pristine bumpers in NYC. (Except maybe alee's)
LOL... time for the diaper pics

Old 02-14-2005, 10:52 AM
O.G.

Mein Auto: 2011 MDX, 2001 330xi
Quote:
I really need to buy a junker for the city and mall.
We have a NYC beater. I can park it anywhere and bounce off bumpers as I fit into tight NYC street spots. It comes in handy for long-term parking at the airport too.

Last edited by Spiderm0n; 02-14-2005 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i ZHP
I am going to buy something used so I can drive into the city. I have to head in there a lot dinner and business meetings so I really need beater for those occasions. The good news is that I doubt the garage attendant took my car tooling around central park west. It is just too busy to get the car really moving. On the other hand, I did have the nerve to turn my baby over to someone else to drive. I should be ashamed.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:39 PM
Achtun*, Spitfire!

Mein Auto: '93 E30 318is Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoofa
The garage where I keep my car terrifies me...the cars are parked two deep, so I always try to be against the wall so the attendants don't move it. When I get them to move the car that's blocking me in so I can leave, they drive it like a bat out of hell....definitely didn't want someone burning rubber in my car during the break-in period

Never, ever, ever gonna let anyone else drive this thing unless I absolutely positively have no other option. Of course, part of that is just selfishness too
I hear ya - forget the bodywork, there are more terrifying things to consider if you don't drive an auto. I stopped parking my Mitsu in the nearest (car jockey equipped) lot to my office after I got into the car one evening and spent 10 minutes choking on burnt clutch fumes.

At least the gearbox still worked!
Old 02-14-2005, 01:58 PM
2 pieces dry white toast

Send a message via ICQ to Elwood
Mein Auto: Mystic '04 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
I park in a garage in midtown daily. They're pretty good and careful, but the occasional bumper scuff is to be expected... just a part of life... price of admission. There's really no such thing as a car older than a couple of months with pristine bumpers in NYC. (Except maybe alee's)

At the end of the day, it's just a car. And plastic bumpers are cheaper to replace than sheet metal.
that reminds me, I have to take a trip to midtown this week *uhg*

- 2004 BMW 330Ci - Mystic Blue - Sports Pkg - Hole in Roof -
- Bum Warmers - M3 Wheel - ZHP Knob - Arai for the noggin -
- UUC Swaybarbarians - To tell me this is a repost, get in line -
Old 02-14-2005, 04:52 PM
takes the long way home..

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP
NYC is a nightmare. Park on the street or valet, that is the Q. I've been lucky thus far, but it's not if but rather when I'm going to get a nice ding. A Civic beater is in order.

If I'm with a date then it's almost always valet, but it's hard to hide my obvious reluctance. I don't want to seem like one of those guys obsessed with his fancy German car.... at least not on the 1st date

Old 02-14-2005, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330i ZHP
Quote:
I totally agree, I've had the car 3 days now, and I'm afraid to even touch it. Never had anything so nice! I'm anal about my BEATER truck, this is just torture now.

I'm glad I still have the truck - get a beater!
Old 02-14-2005, 08:09 PM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
No way I would take my 330 to Manhattan. Especially with it being a MT, I would be afraid of how they would treat her in the garage when I wasn't there. I would only take it if I could actually park the car in the garage myself, and I don't know of any like that except for the Met Museum, I don't know how late it's open though. Every garage I've seen has had valet parking where the valets dissapear with your car either on an elevator or down some really steep incline and all you hear is the engine racing as the car dissapears. Either that or if you see them park it, the spots are so close to each other you could measure the space between the cars in inches. Plus if it's a really cramped lot they are constantly starting the cars and moving them around.

Last edited by Moderato; 02-14-2005 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:36 PM
Riuster = Rooster

Send a message via Skype™ to Riuster
Mein Auto: 02 M3, 07 X3 and 04 TSX
Quote:
Sorry to hear, but next time, pay for it...Go to You park you lock located on 42nd between 9th and 10th ave, you park it and you lock it..its a great place to park.
02 CB/Blk Lthr, Cold/Prem. Pkgs, HK, Xenon, Rev. Alert, SMGII, ACS comps, Hamann Comps, OEM Bar, Intros Aero Pol 19s 2-3 In.lips, w/275 Potenzas, Koni S, RMS, AA GEN3, SS Midpipes, DDE lights, LED Retrofit, Lthr Steering, OEM Sheepskins, Kewood Amateur 7000, XM 2, V1, GT2, Garmin 7200, Carputer-SONY T140 with Xenarc display, CSL splitters, ACS diffuser

BMW 2007 AW X3, prem and cold pkg.
Acura 2004 CG TSX

Last edited by Riuster; 02-14-2005 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:52 PM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
This is not a NYC parking garage issue, this is a stuff-happens-to-cars issue.

My car's been in and out of the city many times without incident, however, out here in the 'burbs, it's murder - I came out of the supermarket one day to find a women jamming her cart into the space between my car and hers - then there's our lawn guy who sent a rock flying into my freshly washed rear quarter panel because I dared leave the car out while they mowed - my most painful experience was the truckload of loosely contained fine stones that kept chipping away at my front end on the Garden State Parkway.

Nothing compares, however, to my own stupidity for driving right into a snow bank last winter - a nice little gnash right there on the front bumper.

So, stuff happens, a car's just a car.

Ed
Old 02-14-2005, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 323 CI; 1991 318 IS
Quote:
I am going to buy something used so I can drive into the city. I have to head in there a lot dinner and business meetings so I really need beater for those occasions. The good news is that I doubt the garage attendant took my car tooling around central park west. It is just too busy to get the car really moving. On the other hand, I did have the nerve to turn my baby over to someone else to drive. I should be ashamed.
If you are serious about purchasing a used car, I have a 1991 318 IS (white) for sale.
It's very cute, handles well, but needs some work to pass inspection.
It's a stick shift with great pick-up, and is great for driving in the city.
It doesn't handle 80 mph as well as my new-used car (2000 323 CI), but no need for that in the city anyway.
It's a great, sharp looking car; alot of fun to drive; and I will miss it.

If you decide not to get a used car, try the outdoor lots on the west side (self-service parking).
Old 02-15-2005, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: '03 325i, '88 325iC
NYC garage

I find the Hippodrome garage on 44th off 6th to be OK. I give the guy a 5 when I give him the keys and they always park it in the booth area, usually surrounded by cars way more expensive than mine. Never had a problem with scratches or dings.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:41 AM
Sandlapper Chapter

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 xDrive35i
Why are all the garages there valet? Is it some kind of status thing?
2002 X5 3.0i/man./SP/PP/Sirius/BT/Titansilber/Sandbeige*
2006 330i/man./SP/PP/CWP/Sirius/Blackline/Rear Fogs/Arktis/Grau*
2001 525i/step./SP/PP/CP/CWP/Xenons/Rear Shade/OEM Sirius/OEM BT/OEM AUX/M5 Rear Sway/Bilstein HDs/Beisan Vanos/Rear Fogs/Schiefergrün/Sandbeige*
2012 VW Golf R/Rising Blue*
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Premium/Tech
*retired
Old 02-15-2005, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: '03 325i, '88 325iC
Quote:
Why are all the garages there valet?
Because in the big city space is at a premium, and if they park 'em they can get more cars in the lot. Parking spaces in NYC are the most lucrative real estate rentals in the country.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:05 AM
•••••••

Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_325i
Because in the big city space is at a premium, and if they park 'em they can get more cars in the lot. Parking spaces in NYC are the most lucrative real estate rentals in the country.
Indeed... I got a good deal on a midtown monthly. $275/mo.

Yes, that's cheap.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:52 AM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riuster
Sorry to hear, but next time, pay for it...Go to You park you lock located on 42nd between 9th and 10th ave, you park it and you lock it..its a great place to park.

Thanks, I'll remember that place if I ever take the 330 "in."