Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

View Poll Results: Which Front Strut Bar
UUC - Light 6 9.84%
Stock M3 - Good enough for BMW, then it's good enough for me. 37 60.66%
Strongstrut - Perenial Bimmerfest favorite. 4 6.56%
Dinan - It's Dinan... Name is everything. 8 13.11%
Breyton - Truly a piece of art. 2 3.28%
Other - Don't forget.... 4 6.56%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2005, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: '05 330i ZHP
Wouldn't most people agree that our cars understeer a bit from the factory? Wouldn't stiffening up the front end with out stiffening the rear just induce more understeer?

Has anyone here logged some serious time at the track before and after the install of a front STB?
Old 03-30-2005, 06:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe
Wouldn't most people agree that our cars understeer a bit from the factory? Wouldn't stiffening up the front end with out stiffening the rear just induce more understeer?

Has anyone here logged some serious time at the track before and after the install of a front STB?
I'm not sure whether a strut bar would stiffen the front significantly enough to affect the amount of understeer of the car, just keep the front on track in the bumpy stuff. Sway bars on the other hand...

And in my vanity, I'm thinking of getting the rear Dinan bar as well... I know, a waste, but well it makes me happy.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:45 PM
Grinning from ear to ear

Mein Auto: is way too fast
So is the primary purpose of this bar to smooth the car out over bumps? Would this affect you at all in daily driving on rough patchs of road (for those of you Austinites, have you ridden on 183 near the ARboretum? - or even worse 45th street ACK!)
Old 03-30-2005, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: '05 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanjs4
So is the primary purpose of this bar to smooth the car out over bumps? Would this affect you at all in daily driving on rough patchs of road (for those of you Austinites, have you ridden on 183 near the ARboretum? - or even worse 45th street ACK!)
I would have to say no. The first place I have ever heard that an STB smoothes out your ride when going over bumps, and helps with tramlining is here in this thread. It baffles my mind even trying to figure out how one could come to these conclusions. Perhaps the placebo effect?

I always thought the primary purpose was to strengthen (brace) the strut towers, thus strengthening the structure of the car, and hopefully having a positive effect on the cars handling.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
I would have to say no. The first place I have ever heard that an STB smoothes out your ride when going over bumps, and helps with tramlining is here in this thread. It baffles my mind even trying to figure out how one could come to these conclusions. Perhaps the placebo effect?

I always thought the primary purpose was to strengthen (brace) the strut towers, thus strengthening the structure of the car, and hopefully having a positive effect on the cars handling.
Well, I'll let you know... going for the plunge. Just too easy to get the Dinan from the dealer right now.

Review to follow.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:24 AM
They call 'em rigs here

Mein Auto: '09 E92.
Quote:
The first place I have ever heard that an STB smoothes out your ride when going over bumps, and helps with tramlining is here in this thread. It baffles my mind even trying to figure out how one could come to these conclusions. Perhaps the placebo effect?
I'm probably one who you read this from; at least the part about tramlining. I've never felt a "smoothing of the ride". I didn't come to this conclusion through a thought process...it is what I observed. At the time, I was playing with tire air pressure. Every day I would add a pound or two in various front/rear combinations before I went to work. One stretch of road I drive every day is particularly prone to tramlining. As I went up in front pressure, starting around 38 pounds, I noticed more tramlining. 39, definitely more. 40 pounds at 65 mph on this strech and I better be paying attention with both hands on the wheel. Settled on 38 pounds for the front. At about this time, my brace arrived. The first time I drove this stretch with it installed I noticed less tramlining. Curious, I started pumping up the tire pressure a pound at a time again. Got up to 41 pounds and never did feel nearly as much tramlining as I did even at 38 pounds without the brace. (And because someone will ask, I've now settled on 39 for the front, 38 pounds in the rear.)
Anyway, I'm not saying this was a scientific study; other variables could have been involved. Just my observations. Take it for what it's worth.

Last edited by MysticBlue; 03-31-2005 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:02 AM
www.my330i.com

Send a message via AIM to marvelphx
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ESS ZHP
Love my Strong-Strut, enough that I am giving one away at Bimmerfest 2005!