Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series

M Series
The ///M Series Forums. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 02-15-2005, 11:57 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
E46 M3 for a devoted E39 owner?

Looking for opinions from those who have had an E39 and moved to an E46 M3, or just M3 owners who moved from a different BMW. My lease is up in 2 months and it's decision time for me. I am no fan of the E60, nor it's $10k premium price over my current 530i, so a new 5'er is out of the question.

I'm looking at the M3 as a new car replacement and I'm also considering a used E39 M5. I lease for a reason and will continue to do that. I have yet to drive an M3 or an M5, so I'm strictly on paper right now, but I will probably go out and shop in the next couple of weeks.

I'm sure a lighter car with 100 more horespower than my 530i will trill my senses. I'm looking for opinions based on daily driver comfort, usability, reliability. If you drive an M3, what annoys you about it? Which feature is your favorite? What would you change about it?

I'd be ordering the car with: premium pkg, bi-xenon, heated seats, 6-speed manual, carbon black on black. As it will be new and covered under warranty, I live quite a distance from a servicing dealer and don't want to be spending alot of time in the service department. My E39 is rock solid reliable with a few annoyances that I've had to deal with, but it's nearly perfect now. It's also my second E39 so I'm very familiar with the car, plus I've done some minor bolt-on mods I really like. .

As you can probably tell, I'm very attached to my E39. But, I'm looking for more performance within my budget and the M3 is a nice option to look into.

Thanks in advance!

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2005, 01:00 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr530i
My lease is up in 2 months and it's decision time for me.
Ohhh F1Craaaaazeeee! You listenin?

Steel Blue! You have the option to sell, JVR?

Last edited by PropellerHead; 02-16-2005 at 01:33 AM.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:29 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
I'm looking at the M3 as a new car replacement and I'm also considering a used E39 M5. I lease for a reason and will continue to do that. I have yet to drive an M3 or an M5, so I'm strictly on paper right now, but I will probably go out and shop in the next couple of weeks.
Ok, now after pimpin yer car. I will give you a few impressions. M3 was fast. Good tourqe comes in later than my V8, but fun to drive in the revs. I would imagine this feel would be similar to your 530 as it is in my 3.0 X5 and the wife's 330.

Whats the first thing that comes to my mind WRT M3 image? Youngster with money. That or older guy with older kids. Even though I've one friend who owns an M3 'vert and is over 35. I still thiink this even if I've been lusting after an M3 'vert for over a year. Perhaps it's a impression from a bunch of online personalities. Who knows? Who cares? It's just my impression.

Like any E46, you get more road feel and noise than the E39 counterpart. Even between the M5 and M3, it's noticeable. The one thing I wasn't particularly happy with was the exhaust note. Raspy. Not Ricey raspy, but awfully... awfully close.

M5? You will think I'm nuts. Everyone does. I've driven more than a few and remain unimpressed. Why? The premium (still) asked of E39 M5's is just too high for what you get. Yeah, it's fast. It handles no better than my 540 with the Dinan adj rear and M5 front sways. I also added Bav Auto springs and Koni adj shocks. The E39 is a great handling car as you already know. Get ready for an M5 or 540 steering to feel 'heavy' in comparison to your 530. It just happens. The V8 grunt makes it all better.

If you're happy with the 225HP out of the 3.0, try the 290 from the later ('02 and '03) 540's. In fact, the '03's will have the snappy M-Technic bumpers so you get some of the more expensive styling cues. Since you lease, high dollar mods are probably out, but these are things to think about.

The M5's exhaust note and engine sound at redline are probably the coolest I'd heard in a stock BMW until the 645. I'm chomping to hear that V10 in the E60 M's.

Of course, you should drive them both. Well, all three. M3, 540, and M5. See what you think. Let us know what you decide. Post PICS! And get with F1Crazy about the 530!
Old 02-16-2005, 05:43 AM
Pastafarian Extraordinair

Mein Auto: 335d
Previous BMW's owned - 328, 330, 740, X5

Current BMW - M3 (leased)

Personal impressions....

I am 34 and have two kids (3 & 7). I use the M3 as a daily driver and could not be happier. I love the power and the sound (I get a woody around 7000 RMP ). I love the looks and still get compliments when I'm out. I won't do any mods to it and enjoy it al natural. I owned a 740 with the sport package and also driven a friends 540. To me the M3 is much more enjoyable and fun to drive. Given the choice, I would pick it again.

The good:
Handling, power, looks, comfort.

The bad:
Currently I pick up the kids twice a week. Not sure if I would want to do that on a daily basis.
Got a speeding ticket a couple of months after getting the car. It's almost scary how difficult it is to keep it under the speed limit.

I say get the M3, you won't be sorry.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:21 AM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead
Ohhh F1Craaaaazeeee! You listenin?

Steel Blue! You have the option to sell, JVR?
Oh yeah, I see that!
Very nice car JVR, let me know what the situation is with your lease since I'm looking for E39 530i.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:31 AM
Is it Trackday yet?

Thanks for the input so far folks. Yes, I do have the option to sell the 530i prior to lease end. I've done this on my last 2 leased vehicles, painless for me, great for the new owners. My cars are always cream-puffs.

I'm not much of an "image" person, but I would agree with the cache' of the M3 described. However, if anyone sees me driving it they would see I'm not a kid. I was looking at a Jeep Wrangler once, white. Someone told me that lesbians drive white Jeeps. I'm pretty sure I would not be mistaken for a lesbian either.

Back in 1996 I wanted an M3 so bad, but the insurance was almost as much as the lease payment. I'm older and wiser now and that should not be the case. Actually, I should be shopping for a "testicle on wheels" as I'm approaching another milestone X-Oh birthday. :-) Red Corvette convertible anyone?

In 1999 I considered the 540i6 but couldn't justify the $10k premium over the 528i. I've been a proponent of RnP over Recirc Ball since my first Acura that had it. I'm not a power junkie either, though I appreciate the ability to accellerate quickly, it's not my main requirement in a drivers car. But, during my recent car control clinic experience, I learned a little about weight shifting and the larger size of my car with lower power than a V8 variant made it a little harder to do it, a little bit harder, but I was able to. I'm getting more into the whole advanced driving thing ever since, so I'm feeling I need a little more car now.

I almost think modding the suspension on my pristine 530i would be a better thing for me to do. I'd get the increased handling performance I'm desiring and keep my light and tossable silky smooth problem free I6. I checked with BMWFS and my payment would be exactly the same to re-lease it for 2 more years, which is surprising. I expected it to be lower.

Decisions decisions. I've got BMW in my blood now and can't imagine driving anything else. Even though there are cars out there that cost less and look as good or better on paper, they are not good lease values and they certainly don't inspire passion like my BMW does.

I think I have to go shopping this weekend and do some test drives. I've got plenty of time left.

More opinions welcome!

Old 02-16-2005, 03:25 PM
Informed Badge Whore

Mein Auto: 04 M3 und 02 M3
Quote:
If you drive an M3, what annoys you about it? Which feature is your favorite? What would you change about it?
There really isn't anything annoying about the car itself. However, a constant annoyance is a large number of people in other vehicles who will want to engage me (or my wife) in a race. Regardless of their age/gender and what they're driving, they'll challenge our cars (some lonesome loser in an H2 actually got on the diamond lane and actually tried to pass me on the Brokaw->880N onramp).

The entire car taken as a whole is my favorite. Not one thing really stands out (ok, maybe the engine)...it is simply in the way the ingredients were put together to perfection. That and how after a decade of driving E36 M3's, getting into the E46's felt like coming home (after seriously considering everything from an FX45 to an E39 M5 to a GTO (and a few other cars in between)).
Old 02-16-2005, 03:32 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp
There really isn't anything annoying about the car itself. However, a constant annoyance is a large number of people in other vehicles who will want to engage me (or my wife) in a race. Regardless of their age/gender and what they're driving, they'll challenge our cars (some lonesome loser in an H2 actually got on the diamond lane and actually tried to pass me on the Brokaw->880N onramp).

The entire car taken as a whole is my favorite. Not one thing really stands out (ok, maybe the engine)...it is simply in the way the ingredients were put together to perfection. That and how after a decade of driving E36 M3's, getting into the E46's felt like coming home (after seriously considering everything from an FX45 to an E39 M5 to a GTO (and a few other cars in between)).
I had the same problem when I drove a 1995 Mustang GT. Everyone wanted a piece and I would never engage them, except once. A kid in a Supra Turbo and I had a rip roaring good time doing some stop-light drag racing on Pine Street in SF one day. That GT was crap though!

Most of my driving is now mountain twisties vs freeway cruisin', so the increased handling and feel of the M3 is really starting to appeal to me. So is the 330 with performance package. Sparkling graphite - oooh baby that's a nice color!

Old 02-16-2005, 04:52 PM
Informed Badge Whore

Quote:
So is the 330 with performance package. Sparkling graphite - oooh baby that's a nice color!

I would tend to agree but it really sounds like you'll be much happier with the car that "naturally" comes in carbon black!
Old 02-16-2005, 09:29 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
I almost think modding the suspension on my pristine 530i would be a better thing for me to do.
Nooooo! Really, if yer gona mod the 530 leased, just get the M3 or the 540. Seriously.. my motivation is pure... Right F1?
Old 02-16-2005, 10:10 PM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
Take a look at '03 540i, it is a nice upgrade as far as power goes and with few mods to the suspension it will be the ultimate stealth cruise missile.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 M5, Sterling Gray
I owned 2 E39 I6s before my M5, a '99 528 and a '02 530, both 5-speeds with the sport package. I, too, was undecided about my car future...keep the 530, get an M3, maybe a 540...or maybe an M5.

My wife sent me to the BMW driving school in SC for a present and I was able to test drive both M3s and M5s. I found going to an E46 difficult after so many years in an E39. I missed the refined sporty feel of the E39 when I was driving the M3 (which is certainly a great car).

Then I drove the M5; it was over. I cannot describe the incredible mix of refinement and raw power that the M5 delivers. You just have to drive one yourself (hard) and decide if it is worth it to you. I fretted about going from rack and pinon to recirculating ball steering until I just drove the damn thing. Sure, overall I'd rather have the R&P set up, but the overall feel of the M5 is unbelievable. The M5 does have an upgraded version of recirculating ball steering called Servotronic; it offers more feel than in the 540, esp when the sport button is engaged.

My friend and I recently met for a comparison drive of his M3 and my M5...pics and notes are posted here...http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50306

In the end, all of the options you are considering are great, so you can't go wrong. Try to get some extensive driving in each, if possible.

2002 E39 M5 Sterling Gray/Caramel
2007 E86 Z4M Coupe Silver Gray/Black
1999 Mercedes ML320 (hauler...)
Old 02-26-2005, 11:55 AM
Hated by hater haters

Mein Auto: 09 MINI JCW
Quote:
Looking for opinions from those who have had an E39 and moved to an E46 M3, or just M3 owners who moved from a different BMW. My lease is up in 2 months and it's decision time for me. I am no fan of the E60, nor it's $10k premium price over my current 530i, so a new 5'er is out of the question.
Well after a long absence, I'm back and in the same boat as you.

My 530i lease ends early May and I'm considering options. I love the 5er and could be happy keeping it, but have all along desired an E46 M3.

I'm teetering on the fence about ordering a M3, but have to decide soon before lease rates change.

If I order it, it'll be as follows:
Carbon Black/Cinammon
Premium Package
SMG II
Width-adj. seats
Xenon

If I keep the 5er, I still have the option of considering a used M5 or a '03 540i Sport later when they start showing up at lease-end/new M5 intro.

decisions, decisions...

Dean
Old 02-26-2005, 12:06 PM
-

Mein Auto: 03 330Ci 5M SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwette
I'm teetering on the fence about ordering a M3, but have to decide soon before lease rates change.

If I order it, it'll be as follows:
Carbon Black/Cinammon
Premium Package
SMG II
Width-adj. seats
Xenon

Dean
Hey, I already told you you can't get that car, unless you get your bro' one too!

03 330Ci 5M SP Topaz-Blue/Gray
Old 02-26-2005, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: e46 M3
Of course you do! And get your brother one too!

Quote:
...but have all along desired an E46 M3.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:02 PM
Paw Paw

Send a message via Yahoo to glaws
Mein Auto: 2002 M3 Coupe Topaz/Gray
"I love the sound (I get a woody around 7000 RMP " Oh man, so do I!! Course it takes me a little over 7800 (cause I'm 66 ) There is nothing that I can really dislike about the car. I know it is a compromise vehicle, but it does all that I ask really well.

A friend will allways try to help you up when you fall. If I can't get you up: Hell, I'll just lie down with you.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:13 PM
Hated by hater haters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwette
Hey, I already told you you can't get that car, unless you get your bro' one too!
I think I can spring for a scale model for your birthday. Coupe or Cabrio?

I drove a 6-speed cabrio yesterday and a SMGII today. I defintely like the SMGII and have gotten used to having a Step when driving in to/fro work traffic, so I'm sold on not having a clutch pedal.

Damn, that thing is wicked fast, especially when you turn off all the granny features.

Dean
Old 02-26-2005, 02:37 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

As much as I'd like to, I can't justify the expense for an M3. I could never cut loose the 333hp on the roads I drive on. I'm leaning towards a 330ci with performance package and some other goodies. Leasing used doesn't make financial sense with the lease rates on 330ci's what they are right now.

Old 02-26-2005, 03:55 PM
Hated by hater haters

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36M3r
... And get your brother one too!
Screw him. I come first. He can get his own damn car. Besides, I'm older and having a mid-life crisis.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:19 PM
-

Mein Auto: 03 330Ci 5M SP
Quote:
Screw him. I come first. He can get his own damn car. Besides, I'm older and having a mid-life crisis.
Hey, aren't you getting a little old for a mid-life crisis?

03 330Ci 5M SP Topaz-Blue/Gray
Old 02-26-2005, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: unimobile
Quote:
E46 M3 for a devoted E39 owner?
In a nutshell:

M3
You will get exilirating performance and cornering.

E39
Has a softer luxury ride/feel, rear doors.

For me the trade-off is easy, I am typically alone or with my wife, seldom if ever passengers.

I take the Peformance

The M5 may just be the best multi-purpose for you, I had my heart set on an M3.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:55 PM
Informed Badge Whore

Quote:
I could never cut loose the 333hp on the roads I drive on.
Hmmm, are you sure? The M3's power is not just for sustained triple-digit cruising...think in terms of squirting out of corners, making 40-90mph blasts while hearing the shriek of the motor as you shift out of 2nd at 7900rpm.

I do agree with you about not leasing a used car. Buying one CPO might be the way to go.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:17 AM
Hated by hater haters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwette
Hey, aren't you getting a little old for a mid-life crisis?
But at least I have hair on my face and on my old head.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:55 AM
Hated by hater haters

OK, after a weekend of letting her mull over it, the boss has given the green light.

I'm ordering my M3 first thing this morning.

'05 Coupe
Carbon Black/Cinammon/Alum
SMG II
Premium, CW
Width Adj seats, Xenon

E.T.A. May 1

What sorts of tires are they coming with these days. The demos I drove had Contis on them. I've running my 5er on Dunlop Sport 5000, which I was always pleased with as an all around tire. Do the Potenzas ever come delivered on the M3?

I plan to get a set of dedicated winter wheels/tires later in the year, but in St. Louis we rarely get more than 5" of snow or so, and mostly none or less than that.

Oh, that awful wait begins...

Dean

Last edited by RaceTripper; 02-28-2005 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: A sleeper......
Nice 530i. I've been looking at those recently as well to purchase as a DD. I went from an E36 to E46. I've never owned an E39; but, seriously contemplated the 540is and M5 at one point.

In terms of comfort, the M5/540is is much more comfortable IMO. That's just my opinion. The seats feel more plush and softer than M3 seats. M3 seats tend to wear at the bolsters -- so, you need to religiously use some type of leather conditioner.

I would also recommend the rear powered window shade. That's also nice. I forget the exact p/n though. You might want to think about adding the alarm, or, just buy it from pacific BMW and then add it. The homelink system is very nice. I did not think so; but, after having it -- worthwhile.