Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 02-16-2005, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Wiper Motor Problem

[SIZE=7]I just replaced the blades on my 1998 E39. Blades clean the winshield nicely. Problem is that the blades stop in the middle of the windshield when I turn them on. This occurs at normal speed an also at intermitent speed. At high speed they don't stall . To get them to stop at the bottom of the glass where they should I have to turn off the ignition at the right moment.

Any thoughts on the problem and how hard is it to fix ?
[/SIZE]
Advertisement
Old 12-29-2005, 10:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1993 325is
Wipers stop midway on windshield

I have the exact same problem. Of course BMW say change the wiper motor. I don't believe that is it because a new motor was installed only 8,000 miles ago and I live in California where it does not rain much. Mine does exactly the same thing - on intermitent and low speed it stops in the middle after one swish. On high speed it functions normally. Did you ever hear what this was caused by?

Steve
Old 12-30-2005, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 540i Auto
Wiper Motor Problem

I have just started getting a similar problem. I have heard that you can refurbish the motor rather than the expensive replace option. Anyone know how to do this?

hunty
Old 01-08-2006, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 01 BMW 530i/04 BMW 330cic
My Don't Work Period

Hi Everyone,

My wipers stop working completely last night. I checked the fuse and it looks good. I posted this in another thread. One suggested that it might be the stalk. Is that the same as the motor? What is the estimated cost to get this fix. Unless, someone else has other suggestions at the course I should take.

I am sort of getting frustrated since I just shelled out 526 dollars for repair to the cam sensor and all. It seems one thing after another. My car is only a '01 530i Sports Package, 54K miles. I mean I like it and all, but, things should not go bad so soon. Ok, enough of my whining.

Any thoughts, please post. Thanks in advance.

'04 Blue 330CiC
sports Package
Old 01-30-2006, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 740
It may not be a motor problem! I had a similar problem where the wipers would not return [stop] at the "home" position when I turned the wipers off and it turned out to be a relay. The dealer wanted to replace the motor, but after thoroughly looking through the TIS I found my problem.....

Here is the TIS regarding the problem, read it completely, don't let the heading throw you off:
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/m...alfunction.pdf

And here is my DIY instructions on fixing it. NOTE: This is on my 740, but I assume your's may be similar. As always VERIFY your own YM&M part numbers:
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/m...nction_Fix.pdf
Old 02-09-2007, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328I 1997
try to solve the problem

Hi,
first thanks to magnum for your pdf. But in my case it really don't work. I have a 328I 1997 and i have a similar problem. I try to solve the problem with your pdf but it's really much more complicated on my car. I have tried to find the wiper relay with my Haynes manual. obviously the relay is not where it is in the manual. My car is a 97 and the manual is made with probably a 92. It's suppose to be under the left side of the dash. But I finally find it under the right side of the dash. I try to find it at -20C. It takes me more than 3 hours. I needed to unplug the battery. Because i need to detach the glove box and if you don't want to activate the airbag you need to unplug the battery. Finally I found the relay. Thanks to the ''click'' sound when you start your wiper. If you want to find yours. See the attach picture. It's the blue one. BUt it's not the end. I go to my BMW dealer to buy a new one. It cost me 140$ and after change it, it change absolutely NOTHING. I'm very desesperate. I have a new 140$ relay a car with no dash with many wire laying down and wiper that don't stop at the home position. Sorry for my long story. But i need say it to let go my frustration. If some one can help me. I'm not good in electronic and it's very cold here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiper relay.jpg
Views:	5241
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	97873  
Old 02-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 2.8 Z3 bg R
1997 wiper motor defect..dkane

be advised a great many '97/98(?) wiper motors were marked for replacement due to a defect in design..the main wiring bundle within the motor has a tendency to short due to unusual wear caused by poor placement of the bundle..it shorts intermittently(and stops poorly) and ultimately burns out..the fix is r/r with updated unit OR you can fix it by epoxying the wire bundle within the motor so it CANNOT flex...per TIS's for '97 2.8 Z3...possibly this might be relevant..Z3Cheers! dk '97 2.8 bg R
Old 02-26-2007, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: '95 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerrokool View Post
Hi,
first thanks to magnum for your pdf. But in my case it really don't work. I have a 328I 1997 and i have a similar problem. I try to solve the problem with your pdf but it's really much more complicated on my car. I have tried to find the wiper relay with my Haynes manual. obviously the relay is not where it is in the manual. My car is a 97 and the manual is made with probably a 92. It's suppose to be under the left side of the dash. But I finally find it under the right side of the dash. I try to find it at -20C. It takes me more than 3 hours. I needed to unplug the battery. Because i need to detach the glove box and if you don't want to activate the airbag you need to unplug the battery. Finally I found the relay. Thanks to the ''click'' sound when you start your wiper. If you want to find yours. See the attach picture. It's the blue one. BUt it's not the end. I go to my BMW dealer to buy a new one. It cost me 140$ and after change it, it change absolutely NOTHING. I'm very desesperate. I have a new 140$ relay a car with no dash with many wire laying down and wiper that don't stop at the home position. Sorry for my long story. But i need say it to let go my frustration. If some one can help me. I'm not good in electronic and it's very cold here.
Hi,
I have exactly the same issue with my '95 M3. I did replace the same relay a.k.a. control module and nothing changed!
Please if you have find any solution post it, I would do the same.
Thanks
Old 03-19-2007, 04:47 PM

i have found the problem

During the time i've try to solve the problem, my wiper decide to stop working. I decide to change the motor (300$). During the change, i have found the problem. A tiny plastic ring stop doing is job because he is to used and the dust enter the wiper linkage. The linkage totaly jam and the motor is not able to move it. So i need to use an air hammer to free the linkage. I clean it with, buy a new plastic ring (0.70$) and put my new motor. Because the older one suffer from the jam. I put it in his place and it's now work like a new one. I'm very happy to finish this before the big storm we had here yesterday.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 97 540
Unhappy

I have a 97' 540 with the windshield wipers not returning to the home position, meaning they come to the stop position in the middle of my windshield. I never had any problems before the last snow storm occurred and I believe the problem started when I activated my wipers but they were partially frozen. They work fine in every setting and stop normal they just will not return to the home position. A new motor was recommended, but to me a new motor doesn't seem logical because they do everything right except finish in the home position. Is there a way to reset the motor back to it's original position? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
Old 03-30-2007, 01:38 PM

Your problem

First. Check if the system seem to go at it's normal speed. If it run slower, your problem is probably bigger. If everything is ok, your problem is probably that the splines on the linkage or the wiper arm have slip. The only thing you can do is going to see if it's in the good position. The linkage need to be on the left to be close. OK it's probably not very clear but it's a little bit complicated. If it's just a slip problem. I can't explain more beacause i'm not sure if it work like my 328i 97. But your problem is probably bigger then you think. At the beginning my problem was like yours and at the end the linkage jam and the wiper stop definitively.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: E34
I have the same problem with my e34 525i 1992. The wiper stop in the middle of the windscreen. I replaced relay and general module, nothing changed. I am not sure wiper motor or switch which one I should replace. Today the wiper does not work at all. I will take the motor out and check it. Who knows the motor's wire defination? Thanks.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: E34
I found my problem. A thin wire among four wires of the wiper motor was broken. I connected it, wiper works again, but the stop position is not correct still. I want to replace the motor because I tested the signal of plug for the motor, all is ok.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: 1990 535i
does anyone have pics on how to replace the motor. i am having similar problems, wiper goes on and on and wont stop for a good while. then it stops in the middle
Old 10-05-2009, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 bmw 325i
well, I changed my motor, relay, and wiper transmission (linkage) and I still have the same problem. My wiper stops in the middle of my windshield. I do not know what to do next.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:37 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 525I
I am pretty sure the problem is not the motor or relay since you claim your wipers move properly. The problem is when you install the motor to the transmission linkage main bolt have to be adjusted so that when the motor stop the wiper do so at the bottom of the windshield.
I have same problem and this is what I did to fix it:
Firs don't install the black final grill since you need to access the motor below; you also need to properly install your blade arms so that they correctly move in range. (Bottom to end of the windshield)
Now that you adjust the wiper arm range don't worry if they don't stop at the bottom, lose the main bolt coming from the motor shaft, reposition the arms by hand at the bottom of the windshield. Give power to the motor, yes the motor is going to spin but the blade wont move obviously, stop the motor once the motor stop, that is the home base position. Now make sure you tide the bolt back, without moving the motor shaft position.
Now once you start the blade they will stop at the bottom.
Please let me know if these fix your problem.

Last edited by ricknieves; 10-07-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i ,2001 325
I have a 95 740i and wiper not operating at all checked for power at motor ,have none using power probe i can get wipers to operate . At wiper plug no + to motor . Checked for relay under computor at fuse box three relays have not yet replaced the one i think it is . I like to know if their is more than one relay i have seen thread that show loacation under computor it does not look the same size position is the same can you help i do not want to just replace parts \\\\\\\\ not wanting to change parts for nothing I pulled ecu in engine comp the relays showed signs if rust and to my suprize wires on both relays were rotted off can't tell if repairing wires will correct the problem and get the power back to the motor will keep all informed

Last edited by steven d; 12-26-2009 at 07:57 PM. Reason: found info that may be usefull to others
Old 08-15-2010, 05:10 AM

Mein Auto: 318i Touring
Hi all, I'm having a problem with the rear wiper (E36) 318i touring. I have 3 live wires present and an earth. But, the motor fails to turn. I've replaced the rear wiper motor and attached control unit to no avail! Does anyone know if there is some kind of control going through the main WWM under the dashboard or not? Is it an earth that is supposed to be placed on one of the live leads...??
Old 08-26-2010, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 525i
My wipers will not come on in the morning, They usually work in the afternoon but it is not consistent. What could the problem be?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto: 97 318i
Had the same problem with my 97 318i.
Wipers worked,but wouldn't rest when turned off.
(stopped in the middle of the windshield).
Narrowed it down to the wiper parking switch
Which is built-in as part of the wiper motor,switched
Motor/parking switch out for another used one and problem solved.
Make sure motor has power and shaft and wipers are in park position before
Mounting motor to wiper linkage tranny.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:14 AM
Hare Krsna

Send a message via Skype™ to Brajanath das
Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 540i Dinan
a similar problem

Hi, guys. I'm having a similar problem. My wiper blades only work at the highest (3rd) speed and wouldn't return to the home position as well. They can stop at any place of the windshield as soon as I turn them off. When I'm turning on 1st or 2nd speed, the wiper blades don't function it all. I have 2001 e39 540i.
Thanks.

Last edited by Brajanath das; 08-20-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 M5
Wiper Motor Seems to not be working

Hi all,

I am also having a problem with my wipers. They seemed to just quit working one day. No problems before that. I pulled the connector to the motor on the drivers side right behind the cabin air filter and when I turned on the wiper switch, I was getting voltage to the motor and there was 12 volts to the motor, in moving the switch to different positions, it changed which pins had voltage. I guess this is how it controls the different speeds, but it appears to be working electrically.

How do you check the linkage without taking it apart, or is that the only way to check the linkage and mechanical portion of the system. If the mechanical part works, then it has to be the motor. Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike