Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 02-17-2005, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: X5
headlights swapping

Hi,

just have a quick question. I plan to replace the non-sport headlights with the sport one on my '02 X5. Do I need to remove the bumper cover for this mod?

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2005, 05:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 4.4i
??? Don't know exactly which kind of headlights you are talking about. Do you mean the clear corner headlights? If so...then NO you do not have to remove the bumper cover. Simply remove the 4 screws and the complete headlight assembly comes out.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:38 PM
Member of the club

Mein Auto: BMW X5
If you have the headlight washers then you'll likely have to loosen the bumper cover in order to get enough clearance to completely remove the light assembly. The bumper cover does not have to be completely removed, though.

Instructions are on X5World to do this.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:26 AM
Yeah right....

Mein Auto: 01' 4.4 Dinan S2 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCrewX5
If you have the headlight washers then you'll likely have to loosen the bumper cover in order to get enough clearance to completely remove the light assembly. The bumper cover does not have to be completely removed, though.

Instructions are on X5World to do this.

For the record, no need to loosen or remove the bumper cover when it comes to headlight removal on the 00-03 X5's. The headlights will clear the washers but I recommend protection for the washers so you don't scratch them during removal.

You might be thinking about the 04 and up models Jeff.

Ask me what I DON'T have on my X, it'll just be easier...
Old 02-18-2005, 09:35 AM
Member of the club

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyX
For the record, no need to loosen or remove the bumper cover when it comes to headlight removal on the 00-03 X5's. The headlights will clear the washers but I recommend protection for the washers so you don't scratch them during removal.

You might be thinking about the 04 and up models Jeff.
Maybe I was just being too careful, but I seem to recall that, when I removed my headlights (2001) to install the DDE Angel Eyes, I couldn't get the headlight assembly completely out without loosening the bumper cover. I didn't want to force it over the washers and damage something, and loosening the bumper cover was only a handful of screws and took all of 10 minutes to do.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:48 PM
Yeah right....

Mein Auto: 01' 4.4 Dinan S2 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCrewX5
Maybe I was just being too careful, but I seem to recall that, when I removed my headlights (2001) to install the DDE Angel Eyes, I couldn't get the headlight assembly completely out without loosening the bumper cover. I didn't want to force it over the washers and damage something, and loosening the bumper cover was only a handful of screws and took all of 10 minutes to do.

I usually put a towel over the washer nipples whenever I took off the headlights. I do have a pic somewhere when Mobile Innovations removed my headlights and the bumper wasn't touched.

You were being cautious with your baby Jeff. That's a good thing though!

Ask me what I DON'T have on my X, it'll just be easier...