Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 02-18-2005, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 4.4i
An Open Letter To Steve Thomas BMW of Camarillo

Thank you so much for the service we received at your dealership today by a service assistant who shall remain nameless. He was very efficient at turning my wife away in the rain today with her dead windshield wipers 30 miles from home. I was so pleased to hear you had such courtesy as to check the fuse. That was really a valiant effort on your part. I heard to that you also even managed to lift the hood and point a flashlight toward the wiper motor. That is a true demonstration of your technical skills. But I really admire your ability to quote the repair at $400 to $600 because the wiper motor would have to be torn down and inspected because what she was experiencing was a very rare problem. I also appreciate how you made my wife and 6 year old daughter risk their lives to get back home without the windshield wipers functioning, that really gave my family a lesson bravery, I hope to return the favor to you sometime in the future. Unfortunately, that scam on my computer they call "The Internet" had some sort of urban legend that this problem is common. And that by removing the wiper motor cover (with no tools even required! HoHo!), the problem is probably caused by a loose bolt on the wiper motor to the wiper arm mechanism. Gullible "Me" tried this silly hoax, and incredibly, I was able to perform the same $600 operation you could. I promise not to let the secret out (except maybe for writing a letter to your Service Manager, BMW USA and post this message wherever I can on the internet). And in the future, should my car break down in front of your dealership, I will proceed to push it 11 miles uphill to the next BMW facility because I probably need the exercise.

Yours Truly,

Jack Brown
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2005, 08:18 PM
RetiredBum

Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '02VetteVert
SB: Glad your CEO and daughter made it home safely,
and good to read about your crafty fix.

Your post is a Fooking Classic,imo. Rack It.

And, shame on the punqueAzz Stlr "tech/Servicedisinformation mgr" and
shame on BMWNA: your prob has come around on the jukebox several times.
The Teutonic geniuses, driven by bean counters and autobahn "xperts" barely
have a clue about prods in the USA,imo.

Glad ya'll doing fine.
BR,md
'10 Hyundai Tucson for the CEO, & 3 Assorted M'Cycles.
BMW CCA mem. Tarheel Chapter
My Flickr...Scenes,Cars & Road Trip Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45275375@N00/
Old 02-18-2005, 09:15 PM
Hog Town

Mein Auto: 14 F10, 14 F15
Some dealer and people just have no conscience what so ever. Shame on them to let your wife drives home in the rain without wipers.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:28 PM
aka Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to AsianImage
Mein Auto: Excellence
I want to say UNBELIEVABLE.....but sadly every word of that story is true isnt it?

Happy your family got home safe. I know the rain..I work in Burbank and live in So Pas...so Simi Valley is close enough....it was POURING all afternoon and evening. Bastards....

IMG_4675
Old 02-18-2005, 10:19 PM

Yes, it is true unfortunately. The letter I left Steve Thomas' service department was not so kind, but I abided by the TOS on this board at least.

Thanks for the support.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:05 PM
dj Vroom (dazh Vroom

Send a message via AIM to dsheli
Mein Auto: GulfStream G450
Why did you not give the name of that service agent?? That is room for dismissal. You need to take more action. Call BMW NA, and call the dealer threatening a law suit. I would personally go over there my self find the ass-hole who did that. I would demand that he be fired. If you do not tell them the name of the agent than this sleaze bag will do it to other people.

Just my .02 Cents

BMW X5 3.0i (Oxford Grn)
BMW 530i
Subaru Outback
My Site (Car Blog )
Old 02-18-2005, 11:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530XIT
Unfortunately the dealer, service manager or bmwna could give a rats azz.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:17 AM

The nice thing is I got it as a chain mail now and on 5 discussion boards with about 400 views in 4 hours. That helps with a lot of the frustration with these bozos.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:51 AM
dj Vroom (dazh Vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menscha
Unfortunately the dealer, service manager or bmwna could give a rats azz.
I have to disagree with you, BMW NA does care. When my brother worked at Global Imports as a shuttle driver there was an incident with a new service manager. The customer got BMW NA involved and the service manager ended up getting put on a non-pay week suspension. I don't know all the details as it was 4 years ago.
David

BMW X5 3.0i (Oxford Grn)
BMW 530i
Subaru Outback
My Site (Car Blog )
Old 02-19-2005, 11:32 AM
Z4 M coupe, F07 550i GT

Mein Auto: Z4MCoupe, 550 GT, 840Ci
Did they even offer a loaner vehicle while this $600 automotive neurosurgery was being performed?

While we're all surprised that the dealer would tell a mother to drive home in the rain without functioning wipers, isn't there some responsibility that should be placed on the driver?

With no loaner, one could always call for a ride or a cab. A driver who drives home in the rain with no functioning wipers could always stop and re-think whether it's an unsafe action.

We expect our dealers to take care of us, but isn't there a need to be accountable for making safe decisions?
Old 02-19-2005, 12:04 PM
In the Downward Spiral

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by uter
Did they even offer a loaner vehicle while this $600 automotive neurosurgery was being performed?

While we're all surprised that the dealer would tell a mother to drive home in the rain without functioning wipers, isn't there some responsibility that should be placed on the driver?

With no loaner, one could always call for a ride or a cab. A driver who drives home in the rain with no functioning wipers could always stop and re-think whether it's an unsafe action.

We expect our dealers to take care of us, but isn't there a need to be accountable for making safe decisions?
While your popst is truly pragmatic, I find it very disconcerting that you would not take into effect that the "$600" repair is something that is known, and easily "fixable". And yes, I buy BMW's for better service and better treatment than I would get from other manufacturers. And, when it is raining, and you own a BMW and something like that happens, and you have a child with you...one may not be thinking as clearly as possible after having a $600 bomb dropped on them by a Brand that is suppose to offer excellence in service.

Dealer dropped the ball...actually, they never picked it up.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:17 PM
dj Vroom (dazh Vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by uter

Ya, That was not to smart to drive home with non-functioning wipers.

BMW X5 3.0i (Oxford Grn)
BMW 530i
Subaru Outback
My Site (Car Blog )
Old 02-19-2005, 08:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDogs
There is a sub forum here at bimmerfest that is monitored by BMWNA. It is called "Vatkens Heros" and is a sub forum of "Ask a Dealer"

Copy your post there, or ask a moderator to move this thread to that forum if you want BMWNA to see it.
Very good idea.

I'm also glad that your wife and daughter are o.k. That is truly unacceptable conduct.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:35 PM

Its a little bit of both. I needed some way to vent my frustration with a snooty service advisor, thankfully I did not pay them but I think the way this advisor acted was completely unacceptable. I can't explain why my wife would have chose to drive in those conditions, personally, I wouldnt have, but she did, and luckily everyone, minus the freyed nerves. Typically, if I can't do the work myself or am able to get to one of my two independent mechanics I go to Bob Smith BMW in Calabasas. THey do go out of their way to take care of me even though I bought my X5 on eBay and not through their dealership. When the A/C system failed last year, they gave me a 330ci for a loaner for over a week. Steve Thomas and Assael, the only other 2 dealerships I have tried to get service at have shown complete lack of service attention, Assael cost me quite a lot of time for a simple repair but Steve Thomas's really took the cake.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will move the letter to that sight. I already left a comment on the BMWNA site, but any attention to this matter would be appreciated.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 330 cic
Me too

Had EXACTLY the same problem in my old X-5. Wipers died on the Mass Pike. Fortunately Natick BMW was great about it. It's one thing to let us down but when they mess with women folk it's fightin' time. Hope they made it up to you, and that the family is OK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimiBimir
Thank you so much for the service we received at your dealership today by a service assistant who shall remain nameless. He was very efficient at turning my wife away in the rain today with her dead windshield wipers 30 miles from home. I was so pleased to hear you had such courtesy as to check the fuse. That was really a valiant effort on your part. I heard to that you also even managed to lift the hood and point a flashlight toward the wiper motor. That is a true demonstration of your technical skills. But I really admire your ability to quote the repair at $400 to $600 because the wiper motor would have to be torn down and inspected because what she was experiencing was a very rare problem. I also appreciate how you made my wife and 6 year old daughter risk their lives to get back home without the windshield wipers functioning, that really gave my family a lesson bravery, I hope to return the favor to you sometime in the future. Unfortunately, that scam on my computer they call "The Internet" had some sort of urban legend that this problem is common. And that by removing the wiper motor cover (with no tools even required! HoHo!), the problem is probably caused by a loose bolt on the wiper motor to the wiper arm mechanism. Gullible "Me" tried this silly hoax, and incredibly, I was able to perform the same $600 operation you could. I promise not to let the secret out (except maybe for writing a letter to your Service Manager, BMW USA and post this message wherever I can on the internet). And in the future, should my car break down in front of your dealership, I will proceed to push it 11 miles uphill to the next BMW facility because I probably need the exercise.

Yours Truly,

Jack Brown