Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 02-19-2005, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 323Ci & Discovery
CD player options???

I am going to be buying a 96-99 model in the next month and wanted to know what options are available for cd players? Do you have to use the BMW changer? How much can I expect to pay to have a changer installed (BMW or other brand)? Also, are there any in-dash cd players that aren't 'flashy'? I don't want anything that looks aftermarket, I would prefer a stock cd player if they offered one. I would even like an in-dash cd player or mp3 player that had a simple black cover over it so it wouldn't detract from the design of the interior. Any advice and insights are appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2005, 11:24 AM
EURO STYLE

Mein Auto: two/325i,VW,Renault
You can get an aftermarket cd changer, check crutchfield they have a wide selection but there is only one that works with your OEM headunit.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:32 AM
Wagon Man

Mein Auto: Ultimate Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensjk
I am going to be buying a 96-99 model in the next month and wanted to know what options are available for cd players? Do you have to use the BMW changer? How much can I expect to pay to have a changer installed (BMW or other brand)? Also, are there any in-dash cd players that aren't 'flashy'? I don't want anything that looks aftermarket, I would prefer a stock cd player if they offered one. I would even like an in-dash cd player or mp3 player that had a simple black cover over it so it wouldn't detract from the design of the interior. Any advice and insights are appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason
Except for road trips, I don't listen too much CD during daily commute (more like news & talk programs), I find in-dash player (BusinessCD) is waaay good enoughf or me. You should be able to buy from eBay or Classified forum (as well as E46Fanatics, Bimmerfest, Roadfly.. etc..).

Had had CD changer in previosu cars .. RARELY can listen all 6 disc in a day .. and found myslef too lazy even to change selections.. but that's just me..

I've just sold my BusinessCD on this board
Old 02-20-2005, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: 323Ci & Discovery
Thanks for the replies. If I can find a Business CD deck that isn't too expensive I will take that route. I saw a couple on ebay, but they were $300-400. A bit rich for at least a 6 year old part. I will keep looking though.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Retired Slacker

Mein Auto: A car.
CD Changer

I have seen the trunk-mounted units on Ebay for as little as 150.00. Keep searching and good luck!
Old 02-20-2005, 11:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:

Thanks,
Jason
In 96 BMW went to the I-Bus so you will have to use a BMW OEM or compatible CD changer if you want to be able to control it from your HU. So the current OEM CD changer would work. A cheaper option is to buy Alpine CD ($199 list) or an Alpine MP3 ($249 list) changer. Alpine is the manufacturer of the OEM CD changers and the housing is identical. If you get the Alpine CD changer you will only need a Blitzsafe adapter. If you get an Alpine MP3 changer you will also need an AI-Net to M-Bus adapter/connector. You will also need to get an install kit from a BMW dealer.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: 318 i [e36] 325i[e36]+
Quote:

Thanks,
Jason
i put in a SONY cdx-f5700 this unit is a single cd player and mp3 player
i hope to get amp in boot +10 cd ,laters

www.sony.net