BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Cayman S 1st Impression

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  jiveturky1 
#1 · (Edited)
Had the chance to drive a 2011 Cayman S 6MT yesterday. It wasn't a thorough enough drive to really get to know the car, but I did come away with some impressions.

Long story short, I'm glad I have my BMWs (e46 m3, e90 335xi) and I prefer them, but I can see why people would enjoy the Cayman S. If I had room for a 5th car (and my lovely wife's tolerance of it) a Cayman S would be right in the game. There's something to be said for the CS being a purpose-built sports car vs. the BMWs being sports sedans, thus different and incomparable, but I call shenanigans on that. The numbers are really similar, the price ranges similar, and according to my perusal of forum threads the buyers are similar. So here are a few notables:

- Cocoon: The CS really hugs you. It's got a cocoon-like, space shuttle, jet cockpit thing going on. On the right day of the week, nothing would be better.
- Short Shifter: The stock stick is a little nubbin of a thing, with nice tight shifts, shorter throws than the BMWs and less notchy. This was the one thing I walked away day-dreaming about.
- Long Clutch: The clutch pedal starts at your chest and goes all the way to the floor. You can practice your leg press and claim you went to the gym. It would take a lot of getting used to. It's also pushed far toward the center of the footwell. I stamped on the dead pedal a few times thinking I was losing my mind until I found it.
- Peppy: It's lighter than either of my BMWs. Given the similar engine outputs (~315hp vs 333hp vs 350hp) it felt a bit quicker on the low end. That could just be my mind playing tricks. It wasn't a revelation.
- Engine behind your head: That's a great feeling, psychologically. In reality the sound was so-so. It had more of a hiss than a burble, and I greatly prefer the sound of the S54.
- Exterior: I think this is the best looking (modern) Porsche on the market. It's a snarling bullet. I'd feel a little self conscious driving it around most days, on account of the overt mid-life crisis sportiness factor. I could see myself taking my wife to a movie in it on the weekend, parking it in the mall parking lot, and the teenagers thinking, "old guy." I'm not that old!
- Interior: Sparse. AC, radio, some gauges. Can't complain and can't praise it either. I don't think this car is about the cupholders. It does take the "oooh, ahhh, Porsche" veneer off a little bit.

Summary: A lot of fun. Having my BMWs, I don't feel like I'm missing anything. The Cayman S seems like somebody's dream car though. Quick, fun, beautiful. Worthy of respect. I've only driven one other Porsche, a 1982 911. That's a review for another day.

-T

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
I feel your pain 328iblack, I really do. My brother responds with:

I'm making this offer right now, and includin' you in the deal: I, Calwaterboy Due, being of sound mind, sober and having eaten sensibly at Thanksgiving dinner, offer to take any Caman owner's vehicle free of charge and encumberance! Yessir, and in the spirit of the Chrismas season, I will pay the freight from any point in the continental United States to my San Francisco Bay Area location!!!

PM for details and, if you reside in Hawaii or any Mexican or Carribbean resort community, I will arrange pickup at your location, be it hotel, house, or cabana. HURRY! This offer expires at midnight on New Year's day!

#3 ·
I have one of each, an 08 335 and an 07 Cayman S, I actually really like both of them but they are very different experiences. The 335 is a much better grand tourer. Two people can take off for a weekend is style and relative luxury and enjoy a fun drive on the mountain roads also if desired.
The Cayman is a pure sports car with one purpose. That is to drive the twisties and pretend you are a race car driver and it does an extraordinary job of that. It is truly the best handling car I have ever driven. The mid engine layout, light weight and Porsche dynamics combine for super car handling.
And unlike the naysayer in the previous post I have never had to do a single thing to my Cayman except for routine maintenance. I wish I could say that about my 335! Not saying that I don't love my 335 because I do but it has been a real headache at times with repairs and maintenance. Unlike any previous car I have ever owned, even the domestics of my youth.

#5 ·
911s, Caymans and Boxsters are great sports cars. I just don't like the froggy, beetle inspired front ends or the vibe that goes with being a Porsche owner.

Of course my friends tell me that I fit right in with the BMW owner image. They usually throw in an unflattering word that starts with an "a".;)

#7 ·
I would take you up on it, but it seems like a lifetime since I had that car and it's only been two years. I'm just a little pissed cause that was the second Porsche I owned and the first one was horrible too. I blame myself and would not want anyone to suffer the same fate as me. My wife says I'm a lemon magnate, I don't think you would want one of my cars, even if shipping was the only cost. Happy thanksgiving, I can always count on you for an interesting comment .

#12 ·
For the owners, what did you think about and do about the clutch pedal? I'm referring to the long throw and the closeness to the brake pedal.

-T
I have had manual BMW's, Audi's and three Porsche's. I think Porsche makes the best clutch and manual in the business. Far easier to drive than either my Z4M or my A4. I could teach anyone to drive a Porsche manual. The closeness to the brake is for heel and toe and is intentional. The only complaint I ever had was the long throws of the shifter in my 2001 Boxster S but that was easily fixed with a short shift kit.

#13 ·
I'd feel a little self conscious driving it around most days, on account of the overt mid-life crisis sportiness factor. I could see myself taking my wife to a movie in it on the weekend, parking it in the mall parking lot, and the teenagers thinking, "old guy." I'm not that old!

-T
I felt this way when I purchased my Z4 a few years back, but I quickly got over it when I realized how much I enjoyed driving it. But, it was only 16 months later that I found my current 335is and the Z4 had to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.