Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series

M Series
The ///M Series Forums. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 02-22-2005, 06:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 M3
M3 Inspection 1 Valve Ajustment? Help!

Hi all,

I have a 2001 M3 w\29,500 miles and started calling around for the 30k inspection 1. I was quoted $1000 for 4 different local dealers. They said its $450 without the valve adjustment and $1000 with the valve adjustment.

Now, I've heard that most M3 dont require the valve adjustment on inspection 1 but it is "recommended" by BMW. I dont want to void my 100k engine warranty or mess up my car, but do I have to get the valve adjustment?

What have you all been doing? Please help as I dont have an extra $800 laying around for a "valve adjustment" that I really dont need.

TIA
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2005, 07:52 PM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci2B
Hi all,

I have a 2001 M3 w\29,500 miles and started calling around for the 30k inspection 1. I was quoted $1000 for 4 different local dealers. They said its $450 without the valve adjustment and $1000 with the valve adjustment.

Now, I've heard that most M3 dont require the valve adjustment on inspection 1 but it is "recommended" by BMW. I dont want to void my 100k engine warranty or mess up my car, but do I have to get the valve adjustment?

What have you all been doing? Please help as I dont have an extra $800 laying around for a "valve adjustment" that I really dont need.

TIA
BMW recommends a valve adjustment, that's reason enough for me. Is it worth blowing up a $15k engine to save $800

Of course you could always learn to do it yourself........
Old 02-23-2005, 12:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 M3 Coupe
If it's recommended but not required AND the engine isn't "ticking" too loudly like it needs a valve adjustment, I'd wait until Inspection 2. When the valves need adjustment, it's usually because the clearance is too much and the engine will make a "ticking" sound from the cam lobes hitting the valves. In other words, there is no way you will hurt the engine (valves being pushed in too far for example)...all that usually happens is more and louder valve noise; hence the "ticking". A valve adjustment will make the engine slightly quieter as the clearance will be less.

My mechanic has told me that on an M3 valve adjustment, it's only a couple of valves that need adjustment, the rest are within tolerance.

The choice is up to you.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:52 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Let's see, $1000 - $450, sounds like an extra $550, NOT $800.

Valves CAN be too tight, and if so, you will burn the valves and the valve seats. And you won['t know how many valves are out and how much they are out without doing the checking.

And too much clearance reduces valve lift, reducing performance. Nothing like having an expensive high performance car and reducing its performance by being cheap on maintenance.

Sorry, if you can't afford the maintenance, you can't really afford the car.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 02-23-2005, 09:35 AM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Learn to do the adjustment yourself. It's easy to do.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 E46
I agree with SergioK... might be worth looking into and learning for your own benefit in the long run
Old 02-23-2005, 12:19 PM
Eat my special ZHP shorts

Send a message via AIM to Aknatar
Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller
I agree with SergioK... might be worth looking into and learning for your own benefit in the long run
If you purchase the extended maint. plan, the valve adjustments are covered, so that might be the way to go for those people who still are within their orig. maintenance plan limits
Old 02-24-2005, 12:47 AM
M Mad

Not easy to do at home. S54 uses shims. So you have to take things apart and measure valve clearance, then remove and measure shims for valves needing adjustment, then calculate the proper shim thickness, then go buy the proper shims and then install them.

And woe be to you if you drop a shim into the engine.

For home maintenance, shimmed vavles are NOT fun.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 02-24-2005, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: 05 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
Not easy to do at home. S54 uses shims. So you have to take things apart and measure valve clearance, then remove and measure shims for valves needing adjustment, then calculate the proper shim thickness, then go buy the proper shims and then install them.

And woe be to you if you drop a shim into the engine.

For home maintenance, shimmed vavles are NOT fun.
Probably why BMW suggest the valve clearance adjustment...Surely the shims would show signs of wear..plus, if you were to drop them into the motor , have fun flushing the motor until they drop down into the oil pan...and then it's always fun to drop valves into the cylinders once you take the keepers out..Otherwise, just pay for the dealership to do the service...it's worth it...If your engine fails anytime after, you can blame them, because you have a copy of the workorder, and be rewarded a new motor...plus you don't void warranty..It helps resale value..don't be dumb/cheap...Pay them to screw up your motor...
Old 02-27-2005, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: 08 M3
Yeah, I found an independent that will do the entire insepection for $650, including valve adjustment. At that price I'll just get the whole thing done and sleep at night.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci2B
Yeah, I found an independent that will do the entire insepection for $650, including valve adjustment. At that price I'll just get the whole thing done and sleep at night.
Don't be too sure they will do a good job on the valves at the independent shop. I would ask them how many e46 M3's they have done and to describe the procedure they will use. As mentioned in another post above, the valve adjustment on this engine is not a job for a novice, and I sure would not want mine to be their first.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:27 PM
///M forum moderator

Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Don't be too sure they will do a good job on the valves at the independent shop. I would ask them how many e46 M3's they have done and to describe the procedure they will use. As mentioned in another post above, the valve adjustment on this engine is not a job for a novice, and I sure would not want mine to be their first.
A valve adjustment is very easy thing to do...people just make it sound extremely complicated.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:42 AM
M Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce
A valve adjustment is very easy thing to do...people just make it sound extremely complicated.
Very easy on some cars, not so easy on others.

The big thing is if you don't have a fairly complete stock of shims is that you have to measure, calculate, buy, install, remeasure, and hope you got the calcuation right.

And I agree, I would not want my car to be the first S54 a shop did.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 03-07-2005, 08:19 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Valve check/adjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce
I agree.

http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthr...t=valve+adjust

Old 03-08-2005, 11:50 AM

Yep, looks like a novice could do it with his eyes closed. Nothing to it!

Last edited by GSIRM3; 03-08-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Yep, looks like a novice could do it with his eyes closed. Nothing to it!
Yep, and a NOVICE can void a 100k warranty with his eyes closed as well...
Old 03-10-2005, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Yep, and a NOVICE can void a 100k warranty with his eyes closed as well...
I was being sarcastic when I said a novice could do it. See my earlier post about warning a novice to not try it.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I was being sarcastic when I said a novice could do it. See my earlier post about warning a novice to not try it.
I was just adding to your sarcasim...hense the smilie
Old 03-11-2005, 12:10 AM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Valve adjust

If your a novice and never try anything new, you will always be a novice.
Since I've never done a S54 valve check/adjust, I'm a novice too. I realize that I can screw it up if I misinterrupt the procedure or accidently do something. But then now I know. Very satisfying if it works out.
Worth the risk to me, since now I'm in control of the quality of the job.
Most BMW techs are novices too, but your covered for six years if they screw up.
This May, my car (which I'm keeping) has two years left. The May 2002 M-Z3 ones have three.
After three years, the dealer cost for the valve check/adjust more then covers the tools etc.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:53 PM
M Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar
If your a novice and never try anything new, you will always be a novice.
Since I've never done a S54 valve check/adjust, I'm a novice too. I realize that I can screw it up if I misinterrupt the procedure or accidently do something. But then now I know. Very satisfying if it works out.
Worth the risk to me, since now I'm in control of the quality of the job.
Most BMW techs are novices too, but your covered for six years if they screw up.
This May, my car (which I'm keeping) has two years left. The May 2002 M-Z3 ones have three.
After three years, the dealer cost for the valve check/adjust more then covers the tools etc.
Ron, the question comes as how experienced is the at doing other things on cars. I would do my own valve adjustment, as would you, Randy and others I know.

But for someone who is very new to working on cars, this is a rather complex and prone to cause problems ay to start.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3