Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 02-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Captain Slow

Send a message via AIM to Shabba Send a message via MSN to Shabba Send a message via Yahoo to Shabba
Mein Auto: 2006 325i Barrique
Newbie questions

Hey guys, new user here with a few questions I could not find answers for when I searched. First of all, I have a '98 328i, 76k miles, all records, runs great. My questions are: Can I put an onboard computer in my car since I do not have one? How hard would it be to put tilt in this car (was it even an option?) and is it even possible? What are my options for wheels, i.e. are M3 wheels out of the question as far as clearance goes? How hard will it be to replace the passenger door lock actuator myself? Thanks for the help guys! If any of these questions are repetitious or easily found searching (I was unable to find the answers), please let me know!

-Colin
Ads by Google
Old 02-26-2005, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 bmw 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabba
Hey guys, new user here with a few questions I could not find answers for when I searched. First of all, I have a '98 328i, 76k miles, all records, runs great. My questions are: Can I put an onboard computer in my car since I do not have one? How hard would it be to put tilt in this car (was it even an option?) and is it even possible? What are my options for wheels, i.e. are M3 wheels out of the question as far as clearance goes? How hard will it be to replace the passenger door lock actuator myself? Thanks for the help guys! If any of these questions are repetitious or easily found searching (I was unable to find the answers), please let me know!

-Colin
I'm not sure about the onboard computer or tilt but the M3 rims will certainly fit and the door actuator shouldnt give you to much trouble
good luck
Old 02-26-2005, 02:10 PM
Captain Slow

Send a message via AIM to Shabba Send a message via MSN to Shabba Send a message via Yahoo to Shabba
Quote:
Originally Posted by m44droptop
I'm not sure about the onboard computer or tilt but the M3 rims will certainly fit and the door actuator shouldnt give you to much trouble
good luck
Funny thing...the temps reached 50 today and the lock actuator is working really well, so perhaps another day! I had read that putting heated seats in the car is possible but does anyone have an idea how hard it is or how much $$ it might be?

-Colin
Old 02-26-2005, 04:53 PM
EURO STYLE

Mein Auto: two/325i,VW,Renault
The mods that you want to do are really $$$$.

The heated seats, first you have to find the seats with the heated option switches, etc.

The OBC is really a pain in the butt to wire! tailights, headlights, lic plate light, corners, etc. Thermometer, speed, MPH, etc.

Not a good idea.

Rims M3's really good mod with no problems at at all.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:17 PM
BMW Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2003 540i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabba
... Can I put an onboard computer in my car since I do not have one? How hard would it be to put tilt in this car (was it even an option?) and is it even possible? ...
-Colin
I haven't done it, but it can be done. Here is a starting point:
DIY for OBC conversion

Good luck.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:35 PM
Captain Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by three28i
I haven't done it, but it can be done. Here is a starting point:
DIY for OBC conversion

Good luck.
Thanks so much. That sounds like a project and something I am interested in. Insofar as the seats go, I figured it would be some $$...I'm in Virginia..anyone have any idea where a good junkyard is around the Richmond area that might have the parts I need? I'm going to check the 'net for the OBC stuff so maybe in my search, I will run across a set of seats and a decent set of M3 wheels. Thanks for the help fellas!

-Colin