e90 335d reliability update - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-21-2016, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
e90 335d reliability update

New member here, long time BMW owner. Polling owners of the e90 335d to see what their thoughts are on the long term reliability of these cars is.

My story. I purchased a 2010 335d about two years ago with 70k miles. At the time the miles seemed high, so I assumed the previous driver ran a lot of highway miles. Also I had scoured the Internet and forums for information on the reliability of these cars, however it appears at the time the miles were so low on most that may of the problems had not reared their ugly head. I purchased the vehicle knowing full well it was out of warranty, however after having it checked by a mechanic for basic red flag items, I purchased it. Car ran fine until I started having issues with the emissions equipment. First it was the EGR cooler, then SCR tanks, and now I am at the point where the car is needing yet another EGR valve and a faulty injector. Also I came to find out after purchase of the vehicle that it had all of the common diesel fixes performed by BMW(removal of head to be walnut blasted, etc.) At right around 93k miles, I'm at the point of wanting to sell the vehicle and get into a non diesel BMW. Also, btw, I am in contact with BMWNA for relief of some sort. Let me know what your thoughts are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2016, 08:01 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakgt2 View Post
New member here, long time BMW owner. Polling owners of the e90 335d to see what their thoughts are on the long term reliability of these cars is.

My story. I purchased a 2010 335d about two years ago with 70k miles. At the time the miles seemed high, so I assumed the previous driver ran a lot of highway miles. Also I had scoured the Internet and forums for information on the reliability of these cars, however it appears at the time the miles were so low on most that may of the problems had not reared their ugly head. I purchased the vehicle knowing full well it was out of warranty, however after having it checked by a mechanic for basic red flag items, I purchased it. Car ran fine until I started having issues with the emissions equipment. First it was the EGR cooler, then SCR tanks, and now I am at the point where the car is needing yet another EGR valve and a faulty injector. Also I came to find out after purchase of the vehicle that it had all of the common diesel fixes performed by BMW(removal of head to be walnut blasted, etc.) At right around 93k miles, I'm at the point of wanting to sell the vehicle and get into a non diesel BMW. Also, btw, I am in contact with BMWNA for relief of some sort. Let me know what your thoughts are.
There is a ton of similar info in the diesel sub-forum. And in the e90post M57 subforum.

1) you don't have to remove the head, only the intake manifold.
2) CBU is mostly well-understood; many threads on eliminating EGR to reduce. People are committed to paying the $1200 CBU cleaning service to keep the cars.
3) DEF tanks (SCR) seem to be back-ordered, many have had sensors/pump failures and it's just a real piece of junk engineering. Many codes can just be ignored, but you have to have a code reader to read them because it's expensive to keep going to someone to get them diagnosed.

No-one would blame you for dumping the car; we might mourn a bit however, and the dying of a dream of a fellow dieselhead.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 540
Bmw diesels are garbage. Get out of the car asap unless you enjoy seeing your check engine light every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
There is a ton of similar info in the diesel sub-forum. And in the e90post M57 subforum.

1) you don't have to remove the head, only the intake manifold.
2) CBU is mostly well-understood; many threads on eliminating EGR to reduce. People are committed to paying the $1200 CBU cleaning service to keep the cars.
3) DEF tanks (SCR) seem to be back-ordered, many have had sensors/pump failures and it's just a real piece of junk engineering. Many codes can just be ignored, but you have to have a code reader to read them because it's expensive to keep going to someone to get them diagnosed.

No-one would blame you for dumping the car; we might mourn a bit however, and the dying of a dream of a fellow dieselhead.
Thanks for the reply! I am already feeling the loss of this vehicle and I haven't even gotten rid of it, lol. At this point I am disappointed with the engineering, I feel BMW can do better, however will most definitely purchase another BMW. My dilemma currently is that most newer engines are DI, and it seems I will still deal with CBU. The hope is not the extent of this car, and also hoping I will not be chasing problems with a very complex emissions system.
2001 330ci - previous car
Old 01-26-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
Bmw diesels are garbage. Get out of the car asap unless you enjoy seeing your check engine light every day.
I see your level 1 certified. Out of my ignorance, may I ask if you work at a dealership currently? Have you seen ongoing problems with this car? I'm probably asking the obvious here, however will ask anyway. Can you provide some thought on moving into a '10 535i?
Old 01-26-2016, 08:27 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91 mobile beach locker
Nothing on the '10, but the '11 335d was on the Consumer Reports "Used Models to Avoid" list (April 2015).
E91 27K miles, 6-speed, RWD, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, V-1 inside rear headrest, Cocomats (back to the 1970s!), $10 clutch stop mod. CYHY integrated dash cam (latest project).

Others include: Volvo V70 T5 5-speed 214K, original clutch. (Soon to depart. )

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 01-26-2016, 09:15 AM

Very interesting. I know not everyone has had problems with the 35d, however it seems more often than not things like this are happening. I trust my indie completely and even he has said to get rid of it and get into a gas 6 cylinder. I can deal with a $500 service every 40k miles for a carbon cleanup on the DI engines, but when you have to chase problems through an EGR, EGR cooler, DPF, SCR, and CBU, F that! Also what am I missing here: carbon cleanup on the 35d is around $2200, and I see guys online saying a cleanup on the n54 or n55 is around $400 to $500. Ideas?
Old 01-26-2016, 01:40 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Quote:
Very interesting. I know not everyone has had problems with the 35d, however it seems more often than not things like this are happening. I trust my indie completely and even he has said to get rid of it and get into a gas 6 cylinder. I can deal with a $500 service every 40k miles for a carbon cleanup on the DI engines, but when you have to chase problems through an EGR, EGR cooler, DPF, SCR, and CBU, F that! Also what am I missing here: carbon cleanup on the 35d is around $2200, and I see guys online saying a cleanup on the n54 or n55 is around $400 to $500. Ideas?
No, CBU cleaning on a diesel is $1200; mentioned several threads here and on e90post/M57 forums.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540
Quote:
I see your level 1 certified. Out of my ignorance, may I ask if you work at a dealership currently? Have you seen ongoing problems with this car? I'm probably asking the obvious here, however will ask anyway. Can you provide some thought on moving into a '10 535i?
I've been working at my current dealer for over 5 years, and was at my previous dealer for the 5 years before that.
She
The diesels have nothing but problems. If you deleted all the emissions crap like EGR, SCR, etc, they'd be great. Check engine lights come on all the time. And the carbon buildup...

The E60 platform was a great car. The 535 will have some issues, but is a much better car than a diesel in terms of reliability. I had an E60 525 for years. No problems except what you'd expect. Oil filter housing leak, valve cover leak, oil pan leak, transmission sealing sleeve, water pump, belt tensioner. Of course I bought mine at 95k, and traded it in at 175k miles, so it was nothing I didn't expect.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i XDrive
Quote:
The diesels have nothing but problems. If you deleted all the emissions crap like EGR, SCR, etc, they'd be great.
My feelings 100%. Emissions equipment on my Cummins 6.7 and VW TDI were a pain in the a** to deal with.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:58 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 E34 and 2011 E92
The shop owner of my indie BMW/Mercedes Benz shop told me when I was looking to purchase a new BMW, he would never buy a diesel, no matter who made it...BMW, MB, or VW.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
I've been working at my current dealer for over 5 years, and was at my previous dealer for the 5 years before that.
She
The diesels have nothing but problems. If you deleted all the emissions crap like EGR, SCR, etc, they'd be great. Check engine lights come on all the time. And the carbon buildup...

The E60 platform was a great car. The 535 will have some issues, but is a much better car than a diesel in terms of reliability. I had an E60 525 for years. No problems except what you'd expect. Oil filter housing leak, valve cover leak, oil pan leak, transmission sealing sleeve, water pump, belt tensioner. Of course I bought mine at 95k, and traded it in at 175k miles, so it was nothing I didn't expect.
I really appreciate the feedback. BMWNA called yesterday and stated they will provide no assistance whatsoever. I think I found an e60 535xi I like, am going to check it out later this week. It's higher mileage, however I dont mind the common fixes as you previously mentioned. Also I might looking at doing a carbon clean since it is DI.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: 1988 M5, 2011 335d
I have a 2011 335d that I bought new. Stay away from this car at all cost. After 70,000 miles, the check engine light will light up preventing you from getting past Smog even though the car runs fine. The most egregious thing is what BMW charges for cheap parts. Parts that should be $100 costs $2000. Their strategy seems to be to have things malfunction/break frequently after the warranty runs out, prompting you to go buy a new BMW. Planned obsolescence in order to sell new cars at your expense. Well, I have had it with their gouging and seemingly programmed obsolescence (which I would not be surprised if it is built into the ECM).

I have owned BMW's continously since 1979, but this unfortunately will be my last BMW. My independent BMW mechanic told me that none of the new BMW's are reliable anymore which is simply sad! I never thought it would come to this, but I am 100% done with BMW.
2001 Corvette Z06
1988 M5
1979 320i (retired)

Old 07-30-2017, 09:25 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCA View Post
I have a 2011 335d that I bought new. Stay away from this car at all cost. After 70,000 miles, the check engine light will light up preventing you from getting past Smog even though the car runs fine. The most egregious thing is what BMW charges for cheap parts. Parts that should be $100 costs $2000. Their strategy seems to be to have things malfunction/break frequently after the warranty runs out, prompting you to go buy a new BMW. Planned obsolescence in order to sell new cars at your expense. Well, I have had it with their gouging and seemingly programmed obsolescence (which I would not be surprised if it is built into the ECM).
I totally can understand your frustration, and decision.

I just want to ask: were any of the repairs to the SCR/emissions system? BMWNA has recently extended the warranty on the NOx sensors, and DEF tank(s) to 10Y/120K. If either of those components were replaced, you can get a refund ($4,000 for the tank, $1800 for the NOx sensors). Check out the threads in the diesel subforum.

Although BMW definitely is having QC problems, they have decided to step up for these systems, almost certainly due to the VW (and Audi and MB) dieselgate and pressure from the EPA.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCA View Post

I have owned BMW's continously since 1979, but this unfortunately will be my last BMW. My independent BMW mechanic told me that none of the new BMW's are reliable anymore which is simply sad! I never thought it would come to this, but I am 100% done with BMW.

It's nice to see old threads come to life. I finally ended up getting rid of the 35d and went with a 4Runner. I can hear the gasps already, but no one can deny the reliability. I will definitely own another BMW, however an older one as a second vehicle. I certainly understand the frustration as well SteveCA. It's interesting to hear now that apparently BMW is stepping up finally to support these vehicles, I assume in light of the VW debacle. Funnily enough my wife has a VW Passat TDI that we are getting ready to trade in per the buyout program, but that's another story.

BMW used to be a well engineered vehicle that yes it cost a lot to repair, but they were reliable. I had an '01 330ci that I ran to 189k with no problems other than a valve cover seal and cam sensor. The new ones will not do this...too many systems and sensors that all need to function perfectly to avoid a CEL. I'm curious to see what other people's thoughts are.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: 1988 M5, 2011 335d
Quote:

I just want to ask: were any of the repairs to the SCR/emissions system? BMWNA has recently extended the warranty on the NOx sensors, and DEF tank(s) to 10Y/120K. If either of those components were replaced, you can get a refund ($4,000 for the tank, $1800 for the NOx sensors). Check out the threads in the diesel subforum.

Although BMW definitely is having QC problems, they have decided to step up for these systems, almost certainly due to the VW (and Audi and MB) dieselgate and pressure from the EPA.
Thanks for your reply and heads up on the SCR related warranty extension. I recently got notice of both of these extensions. Fortunately my issues arose right around the time of the extensions. While BMW has stepped up to address these issues, the biggest issue is their price gouging in conjunction with poor reliability. BMW no longer build cars to last period. I have 240k miles on my 1988 M5 with minimal repairs (water pump, ignition wires after 140k). With the ludicrous gouging on parts, this car will be worthless after 100k mies because it will cost more to repair than the cars is worth.

I love the way these cars drive but the ill will of BMW is spoiling the fun big time.
2001 Corvette Z06
1988 M5
1979 320i (retired)

Old 12-07-2017, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
This has been my experience with the 2011 335d so far. My husband bought the car new and gave it to me at approx 45K. Other than regular maintenance such as oil changes, air filters, battery, brake fluids, etc., the major repairs have been:

At 59K, the SCR tank failed and also the camshaft position sensor had to be replaced

At 71K, the mass air flow sensor failed

At 72K, the NOx sensors failed (I'm about to take the car in to hopefully get this covered by the NOx sensor extended warranty). There is also a small crack in a hose that is leaking a small amount of oil that needs to be replaced.

I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but this year in particular has been bad, with 3 going on 4 trips to the repair shop due to the "car on the lift" or "engine management warning" or the "Service engine soon" light being on.

The car is still lovely to drive. But gosh, I just wish I can drive the thing for a few months straight without some warning light blinking on the dash!
Old 12-07-2017, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 335d 2010
If you still have the original "Harmonic Balancer Pulley" and you are past 70 K miles, be prepared for its failure.

When it fail, you will loose the AC, power steering and alternator. You will not be able to drive the car. If the pulley is not in stock, be prepared to wait 2 to 3 days for the repair.

So far, BMW has not extended the warranty to the Harmonic Balancer pulley. It is a common failure.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: Red Honda Fit
i have a 2011 bmw 335d and after 3 years , her harmonic pulley finally gave out. my extended warranty told me they will cover it but due to circumstances i wouldnt mind paying out of pocket. she (the diesel) have showed me good times in the 3 yrs we've been together and i decided to come out of pocket for her. no cbu, csr, def problems, none. i keep up with her maintainance religiously. they say take care of your car, and they will take care of you.

Last edited by eric_dot_com; 12-07-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:

hmm i would actually disagree. theres many threads on here regards to comparisons between the 335i vs 335d they both are almost identical. the diesel are practical for mpg and the other is not. but it all comes down to how you are for your bmw, how you maintain it and the most important thing of them all is having warranty for it or extended warranty because any bmw parts are not cheap. yes the diesels have their weaknesses as well as any other bmw out there. ive owned many diesels bmw before and other that is not a bmw and i can tell you that diesels are pretty reliable thus depends who drives it and how each person maintain it. a ferrari is a very fast cars but if the driver dont know how to drive it then that ferrari is a honda to that particular driver and often will fail more often than to someone that have more knowledge about the car. bottom line is, bmw's in general you have to pay attention to all the due maintenance and always, always have warranty for it because if you dont you will come out of pocket more than when you dont have warranty. get warranty even if your mechanic say the car is legit and good to go. in the end, you will be responsible on the repair and out of pocket, not your mechanic or your indy. i wouldnt recommend buying a bmw, mercedes, audi, without extended warranty. on that note, i currently have 2011 bmw 335d, bought her when she was couple years older (2013) and i never have anything fail on me until now, which is the harmonic pulley. i always kept her maintenance always on or before time. no cbu, or anything that you guys have mentioned on here happened yet (knock on wood) but if it ever comes down to that route or anything else my warranty most likely will cover it and i dont mind paying it out of pocket if its reasonable. in 3 years driving my baby hard i came away with a faulty pulley, i think its a win situations for me. so dont look down on a diesel because some diesel parts do last longer than the gasoline 335i. yea she is loud & obnoxious (diesel) but i love her and so far we had a really good time. (3 years) and look forward to another great 3 years...
Old 12-07-2017, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by montr View Post
If you still have the original "Harmonic Balancer Pulley" and you are past 70 K miles, be prepared for its failure.

When it fail, you will loose the AC, power steering and alternator. You will not be able to drive the car. If the pulley is not in stock, be prepared to wait 2 to 3 days for the repair.
That sounds terrible. What are the warning signs, if any, of an impending harmonic balancer pulley failure on the 335d? And how much to fix? We don't have an extended warranty on our car.

Last edited by Atlanta335d; 12-07-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montr View Post

So far, BMW has not extended the warranty to the Harmonic Balancer pulley. It is a common failure.

funny that you mentioned that, my 335d harmonic pulley just went out the other day. took it to the dealer and they told me it needs to be replaced as well with the seal and both belts. they mentioned alternator, ac, is good. power steering will come back as soon as the pulley is replaced. in 3 years driving this baby (diesel) hard, the harmonic pulley is the only thing that ive replaced so far other than the usual reg maintainance. i say that is a win. although i do need to upgrade few things soon like water pump and anything in that area. thats my next concern and surely be added to her in couple weeks.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta335d View Post
That sounds terrible. What are the warning signs, if any, of an impending harmonic balancer pulley failure on the 335d? And how much to fix? We don't have an extended warranty on our car.

ok, this just actually happened to me last week. one of the signs are, your power steering goes out when you trying to turn on your ac. which can be dangerous if you driving on freeway high rpm on streets, etc. be sure to pull over right away the best that you can and turn off your ac right away. hopefully your belts still in tact, they might be wobbly since its a faulty pulley so drive slow (with ac off) then take it to your nearest indy or dealer. it happened to me. i was getting ready to pull out of my driveway then i turn on the ac and then..boom..my power steering just went out. i took it to couple of places and eventually the dealer and my SA noticed that its a 335d (diesel) so immediately he says, "im almost positively sure that its your harmonic pulley and not your ac compressor" but he said they still have to be sure and diagnose the car. couple days later he confirmed that it was the harmonic pulley. he also added that they check for ac system leaks or faulty compressor and they found none. they also said that the burning rubber smell comes from the rubber piece attached to the pulley. so those are the signs at least for me, power steering goes out when turning on the ac, and the rubber smell. hopefully that helps.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:

wow so bmw extended warranty will cover the NOx sensors, and DEF tanks to 10yr/120k ? thats a really good source to know for me. i never had to replace or have any of those components go out on me yet (knock on wood) but im glad you mention this ! i apologize in advance but are the source and info for reals ? im going to reach out to corporate and see what they can tell me about all this. thank you tho. very helpful.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 335d 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_dot_com View Post
wow so bmw extended warranty will cover the NOx sensors, and DEF tanks to 10yr/120k ? thats a really good source to know for me. i never had to replace or have any of those components go out on me yet (knock on wood) but im glad you mention this ! i apologize in advance but are the source and info for reals ? im going to reach out to corporate and see what they can tell me about all this. thank you tho. very helpful.
Here is the BMW reimbursement program. You just enter you VIN and it will list the extended warranties applicable to your car.
http://www.bmw-rp.com/production/isg...bmw_portal.nsf

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search