Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i3 and BMW i8 (2014 - Current)

BMW i3 and BMW i8 (2014 - Current)
The BMW i3 and BMW i8 are the first two cars launch under BMW's new sub brand BMW i. The i3 is an all carbon fiber, all electric vehicle meant for urban mobility. The BMW i8 is a carbon fiber and aluminum hybrid halo car.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper S
Still a fan of the i8

I've had a few pm's regarding the demise of my i8, so I thought I'd post a quick synopsis of what happened now that the dust has settled. Yes, the driver was my teenaged son. No, neither drugs nor alcohol were involved. What was involved was an unfamiliar dark country road, an unmarked gate across the road, and the combination of gravel and antilock brakes. Yes, he was inexperienced enough to rely on the GPS showing the road continuing straight onward, and yes, he was probably driving too fast (no posted speed limit on the road, so knowing kids, yeah). They hit the gate, the airbags immediately deployed, blocked their field of vision so they did not see the immediate turn in the road and embankment. Car hit the embankment and flipped.

Here's where BMW gets my loyalty. BMW assist was talking to him immediately after the airbags deployed. They alerted EMS exactly to where the car was, in a very rural, unmarked area, they alerted my husband and me, and within minutes the stabilization of the car and the passengers had begun. EMS personnel were talking among themselves when I arrived - they were amazed that the passenger had gotten out by himself and walked away (no injuries, did not require treatment), and that the driver was alert and talking (concussion, two compression fractures). With the severity of the impact they had expected no survivors. In the days that followed, the insurance investigator and the EMS scene supervisor both called multiple times to say they had never seen anything like the stress-absorbing features of the carbon fiber structure and that the stabilization of the battery and human compartments on impact was amazing. They made it clear that it was the engineering of the vehicle that was responsible for my son's life. And yes, the kid learned his lesson. He now drives an old Subaru with a speed tracking device on it (MotoSafety, if you have kids, it's great), and the replacement money from the insurance company went straight into a hospital project in Cambodia. Here's the photos, there are more on the album in my profile.

BMW i8 crash

BMW i8 crash

BMW i8 crash

Last edited by tim330i; 01-28-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2016, 01:48 PM
BMW Addict

Mein Auto: '00 M5, '15 i8
Glad to hear your son walked away from that.

Curious, in the photo with the jack and tie-strap, was that done because the car was upside down and the doors couldn't be opened?
Old 01-22-2016, 01:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i X; 2005 X3
Safety engineered car + good luck = live and learn!
It's a good story, thanks!
Old 01-22-2016, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 i8 Tera World
BMW has always put safety as their first engineering priority, even above performance.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louv View Post
Glad to hear your son walked away from that.

Curious, in the photo with the jack and tie-strap, was that done because the car was upside down and the doors couldn't be opened?

From what I understand, the car was on it's roof when found. EMS could not get the driver out on a backboard from that angle and initially thought they had to remove the roof. They lifted the car up and secured it in order to extract the driver (from the passengers side) without compromising his potential injuries.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:56 PM
6 RINGS

Mein Auto: ATS-V,535, Forester
This is why Bmw's are worth what they cost over the competition.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: i8, M4 & 650i cab
Glad your son and his passenger are going to be OK. To what do you attribute your son's injuries versus none for the passenger? The steering wheel? I let my daughter drive my i8 when she was 17. She was always very careful with it. But she carelessly crashed my 650i convertible to the tune of $17K. These days she drives a truck (and is in school across the country). But when she comes home I have the i8 and an M4 she can drive. After your son's experience I think I will let her drive the i8.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBimmer View Post
Glad your son and his passenger are going to be OK. To what do you attribute your son's injuries versus none for the passenger? The steering wheel? I let my daughter drive my i8 when she was 17. She was always very careful with it. But she carelessly crashed my 650i convertible to the tune of $17K. These days she drives a truck (and is in school across the country). But when she comes home I have the i8 and an M4 she can drive. After your son's experience I think I will let her drive the i8.
That's a good question, Pumpkin. He was contacted by the head of BMW's structural engineering department, who interviewed him and asked him/us to release his MRI's and evaluations to their medical research department somewhere in Florida. The fractures were anterior wedge compression of the lumbar region, so perhaps there was a point they were airborne and landed mostly on the driver's side before flipping. They both did not have a scratch or bruise on them afterwards (the paramedics cut his clothes completely off to examine him, to his adolescent chagrin) Both kids are in pretty good shape to begin with - the passenger went on to win cross-country divisionals in his category just two days later, and my son has returned to lacrosse where he plays defense.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 550i GT, i3, Ferrari FF
Glad you posted this. I immediately shared it with my brother who's about to get his learner's permit.

Just goes to show you that modern cars have a huge advantage over their older counterparts in safety.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2technical4me View Post
I've had a few pm's regarding the demise of my i8, so I thought I'd post a quick synopsis of what happened now that the dust has settled. Yes, the driver was my teenaged son. No, neither drugs nor alcohol were involved. What was involved was an unfamiliar dark country road, an unmarked gate across the road, and the combination of gravel and antilock brakes. Yes, he was inexperienced enough to rely on the GPS showing the road continuing straight onward, and yes, he was probably driving too fast (no posted speed limit on the road, so knowing kids, yeah). They hit the gate, the airbags immediately deployed, blocked their field of vision so they did not see the immediate turn in the road and embankment. Car hit the embankment and flipped.

Here's where BMW gets my loyalty. BMW assist was talking to him immediately after the airbags deployed. They alerted EMS exactly to where the car was, in a very rural, unmarked area, they alerted my husband and me, and within minutes the stabilization of the car and the passengers had begun. EMS personnel were talking among themselves when I arrived - they were amazed that the passenger had gotten out by himself and walked away (no injuries, did not require treatment), and that the driver was alert and talking (concussion, two compression fractures). With the severity of the impact they had expected no survivors. In the days that followed, the insurance investigator and the EMS scene supervisor both called multiple times to say they had never seen anything like the stress-absorbing features of the carbon fiber structure and that the stabilization of the battery and human compartments on impact was amazing. They made it clear that it was the engineering of the vehicle that was responsible for my son's life. And yes, the kid learned his lesson. He now drives an old Subaru with a speed tracking device on it (MotoSafety, if you have kids, it's great), and the replacement money from the insurance company went straight into a hospital project in Cambodia. Here's the photos, there are more on the album in my profile.

BMW i8 crash

BMW i8 crash

BMW i8 crash

'16 320i Alpine White/Black/AT [ZDA, 494, 205, 459, 403]
Old 02-08-2016, 10:36 PM
The Batman

Mein Auto: Glacier Silver 320xi
I just cried a little bit. That poor i8.

I'm glad your son is safe. I know way too many people who died in accidents like that, either from inexperience or being silly. Thankfully, situations like this definitely empower future (smart) decisions. Not to mention, he gets to tell people he beat up an i8!

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
accident, bmw i8, carbon fiber, crash, i8

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i3 and BMW i8 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search