BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Key Programming

29K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  joylove 
#1 ·
Anyone remember how to program the key? My dealer showed me how at purchase, but I have since changed my programmed settings and can't remember how to get the key to recognize the appropriate seat preset (Setting 1 for my key, 2 for the wife).

Thanks!

#2 ·
Insert the key into the ignition and turn key to position #2, adjust seat and mirrors to desired positions, press “M” on the seat and then the memory seat position number, remove key from ignition and lock doors (this is the important part) and your key should be programmed!

Good luck!

#3 ·
jdeday said:
Insert the key into the ignition and turn key to position #2, adjust seat and mirrors to desired positions, press "M" on the seat and then the memory seat position number, remove key from ignition and lock doors (this is the important part) and your key should be programmed!

Good luck!
Thanks a bunch! :thumbup:

#4 ·
USMCAg00 said:
Anyone remember how to program the key? My dealer showed me how at purchase, but I have since changed my programmed settings and can't remember how to get the key to recognize the appropriate seat preset (Setting 1 for my key, 2 for the wife).

Thanks!
I was told that you don't need to do anything other than UNLOCK the car with your key (using the button on the key). When you unlock the car, the chip in the key recognizes any settings that you then do thereafter.

So if you get in (after unlocking with the remote key), and make changes to the seat seatings, the next time you unlock the car, it will remember those settings.

If your wife unlocks the car with her key, it will likewise remember the settings that she made.

Note that even if the car is unlocked (like in your garage) -- just push the unlock button on the key before you get in to ensure that you don't overwrite your wife's settings, and vice versa.

So I dont' understand why you were told to do anything else. The buttons on the seat are simply a back-up (if you choose to program them, using the memory button).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on my understanding of the remote key function for remembering your seat/mirror/climate settings.

#5 ·
No that's the way it works, AFTER you initially associate a particular key with one of the 3 memory settings. They key in position 2 thing you only have to do once. That's what the little colored stickers are for - so you can identify which key is which.

--Randy

#6 ·
rrinker said:
No that's the way it works, AFTER you initially associate a particular key with one of the 3 memory settings. They key in position 2 thing you only have to do once. That's what the little colored stickers are for - so you can identify which key is which.

--Randy
That's not how it works for me right now (perhaps the dealer did something with the programming). But I have tested it extensively -- and I recommend this set up if this is something the dealer needs to do.

My wife and I have NEVER used the memory buttons (I haven't even touched them yet). Her key (which I did put a sticker on just so we don't mix it up), does change the seat, mirrors and climate settings, to HER settings when she hits the unlock remote key button.

It goes to my settings when I hit unlock on my remote key button. Note that this works whether the car is unlocked or locked.

I have held both keys in my hands (pressing the unlock button on one, then the other) and watched the doors/mirrors move to confirm that this is exactly what happens.

This is in fact, how the dealer told me it was set up to work. He also told me the memory buttons on the seat could be programmed as a back up to our key associations. But the buttons have no relation to the key. The UNLOCK on the key is all that triggers the settings.

Basically, any changes made to the seats/mirror/climate after unlocking the car with a key are associated with that key.

Try it. If you dont' have it, the dealer must have not enabled it.

#24 ·
The advantage of using the memory buttons is that you can put the seat where you want it before getting in the car. (My wife likes the seat so close that I can't get into the car unless I move it.) If you open the door and hit your memory button before doing anything else, the seat will go where you want it and you can get in. Then it doesn't matter which key you are using.

#7 ·
OK, OK. Try this. It works EVERY TIME for me.

Husband unlocks car WITH HIS KEY, adjusts seats and mirrors, locks car WITH HIS KEY. Seat and mirror settings are remembered to his key.

Wife unlocks car WITH HER KEY, adjusts seats and mirrors, locks car WITH HER KEY. Seat and mirror settings are remembered to HER key.

In order for multiple keys to work, the person who OPENED the car WITH HIS/HER key ALSO needs to LOCK the car to complete the cycle. Then the other person needs to do the SAME with HIS/HER key. Just be certain to LOCK the car with your own key.

Maddening, but this has worked for me. Somebody needs to show the BMW programmers how real people use their cars. :rofl: :)

Report back here and let me know what you find out ...

Tom

#8 · (Edited)
vontech said:
OK, OK. Try this. It works EVERY TIME for me.

Husband unlocks car WITH HIS KEY, adjusts seats and mirrors, locks car WITH HIS KEY. Seat and mirror settings are remembered to his key.

Wife unlocks car WITH HER KEY, adjusts seats and mirrors, locks car WITH HER KEY. Seat and mirror settings are remembered to HER key.

In order for multiple keys to work, the person who OPENED the car WITH HIS/HER key ALSO needs to LOCK the car to complete the cycle. Then the other person needs to do the SAME with HIS/HER key. Just be certain to LOCK the car with your own key.

Maddening, but this has worked for me. Somebody needs to show the BMW programmers how real people use their cars. :rofl: :)

Report back here and let me know what you find out ...

Tom
Not true -- whether or NOT the car is locked, pressing the UNLOCK button on the key uses the settings last saved for that key. If you use the UNLOCK button, any changes you then make thereafter are associated with that key.

So even if the car is unlocked in your garage, use the UNLOCK button. In other words, if you share a car with someone, and don't know who used it last, unlocked it last, etc. -- always use the "unlock" button on your remote key before getting in.

You do NOT need to lock to complete a cycle. Locking is irrelevant.

IN other words, you get in (after pressing unlock button on key) -- you then change mirrors and seat position (your settings are now associated with your key). You get out -- whether or NOT you lock the car, your husband should use the unlock button before getting in. Otherwise, if he just gets in, any changes he makes will then be on your key still. By locking the car, you just forced your husband to follow this procedure -- but the locking is actually not relevant. It is all in the unlocking (even if the car itself is unlocked).

Think of the unlock button on the key as a "your settings" button. So always use the "your settings" button before getting in. That's all.

I tested this extensively using both keys (my key in my left hand, my wife's key in my right hand). Believe me, that is how it is supposed to work. Test it yourself. The unlock button will change settings back and forth, regardless of whether the car is actually locked. So you don't have to lock the car (for instance in your own garage -- if you don't want to).

Note also, that once you are happy with your seat and mirror settings, you can then save them (as a backup) using the memory buttons on the seat. That way, if you or your husband mess up your settings on your key, you still have them saved on the memory button. So then go back to your saved settings with the memory button AFTER you used the unlock button on your key. Those settings will now be associated with your key again.

#9 ·
We have a further issue: Our teen-age son also drives the car, using whichever key he finds first. He uses memory #3 for his settings. This seems to throw the whole system into a tizzy, and it sometimes takes two rounds of resetting to get the system back the way we want it. We've tried to be very consistent in what we do....and we've tried variations in the lock/unlock process, but the poor car still seems to get confused. :dunno:

#10 ·
jackie said:
We have a further issue: Our teen-age son also drives the car, using whichever key he finds first. He uses memory #3 for his settings. This seems to throw the whole system into a tizzy, and it sometimes takes two rounds of resetting to get the system back the way we want it. We've tried to be very consistent in what we do....and we've tried variations in the lock/unlock process, but the poor car still seems to get confused. :dunno:
Because he probably unlocks the car with whatever key he finds, and then makes his changes. This means that key is now associated with his changes.

The only way to control this is to get another key for him. Or give him the valet key -- so he has to manually lock and unlock.

#11 ·
Caesar,

I tested your theory, and it works just fine.

Thanks for finally clarifying this for us!

Tom

#12 ·
What you need to do is ask him to look at which key he used (yours or your wife's) and then end up on the memeory setting associated with that key. That would be much to ask to a teen, but you can try

Caesar said:
Because he probably unlocks the car with whatever key he finds, and then makes his changes. This means that key is now associated with his changes.

The only way to control this is to get another key for him. Or give him the valet key -- so he has to manually lock and unlock.

#14 ·
tromar1 said:
My key programming hasn't work since the first week. My fix was to not let my wife drive the X3...worked perfectly.

Nonetheless, I'm going to give it one more try with Caesar's solution...
Now there's a solution even the engineers at BMW didn't think of. Hrmmm perhaps we can spread this theory to the toilet seat as well. . . .she doesn't need to use the washroom does she?

My wife isn't reading this I hope.. . . heheheh
:angel:

#15 ·
Godot said:
Now there's a solution even the engineers at BMW didn't think of. Hrmmm perhaps we can spread this theory to the toilet seat as well. . . .she doesn't need to use the washroom does she?

My wife isn't reading this I hope.. . . heheheh
:angel:
I tried...didn't work. Now, I'm force to sit. Admittedly, I"m wupped!

#16 ·
jdeday's method works except no need to use the seat memory button.

Key 1:
- Unlock car
- Turn key to ignition #2
- Set seat and mirrors
- Turn key to ingnition #0 and remove key
- Lock car

Key 2:
- Unlock car
- Set seat and mirrors
- Lock car

Now everytime the car is unlocked with a key, the seat and mirrors change position.

NOTE: It's a setting to have the seat and mirror change position when the car is unlocked. It can be programmed (mine was programmed by default) by the dealer.

#17 ·
:banghead: key programming what an excellent idea that just didn't turn the way they wanted it to :tsk:

don't these guys (BMW engineers) talk to each other? :banghead:

Our last German built car (Cadillac Catera ) worked flawlessly (nothing else did) key 1 moved the seat and all 3 THREE III mirrors to memory position 1, key 2 memory 2

Did I mention that ALL 3 mirrors moved?

#18 ·
peoe2 said:
jdeday's method works except no need to use the seat memory button.

Key 1:
- Unlock car
- Set seat and mirrors
- Lock car

Key 2:
- Unlock car
- Set seat and mirrors
- Lock car

Now everytime the car is unlocked with a key, the seat and mirrors change position.

NOTE: It's a setting to have the seat and mirror change position when the car is unlocked. It can be programmed (mine was programmed by default) by the dealer.
There is a subtle bit of information missing here. You do not program the keys a single time. You program the keys each and every time you LOCK the doors using the key. However, the memory buttons are programmed a single time and remain locked to those settings until you reprogram.

The keys work to remember what the position of the seats and mirrors were when you LOCK the vehicle with the key. This means if you make any changes to any of the settings and LOCK the vehicle, your key will remember those settings.

So, to make the whole system work:

1. Set a memory setting to how you like the settings and save it.
2. LOCK the vehicle with your key.
3. In the event that you loan the key to someone else who changes the settings (ie the son in the example above) use the memory button to restore your settings and lock the vehicle again with the key.

NOTE: I am told that key has to be OUTSIDE of the vehicle to work in this fashion, I am hesitant to believe this. However, I cannot currently test this since my dealer, when they programmed my vehicle, were polite enough to disable my keys from working :)

#19 ·
Hello,
this thread is 3 years old, but it's exactly about the problem I've got.

I own E46 (2003, facelift) with almost all options.

When I press unlock button on the key 1, mirrors are immediately set according to the last setting for driver 1. The same is happening for driver 2/unlock button on key 2.

That means, both keys are working fine, but only the mirrors settings are correctly restored.

Driver's seat does not move at all (it's electrical, of course) according to last key settings. I've tried all guides posted here and the seat never moves. It stays in the last (actually current) position no matter what...

I've also memorized the seat position to button 1 for key 1, and button 2 for key 2.

Seat Settings is set to "when unlocking" in car memory (done at my dealer).

Anyone has an idea?
Thanks

#20 ·
I had a similar problem but the seat settings where remembered and not the mirrors between the two keys. I had taken it back to my dealer and they reprogrammed the DME. I was told that the DME did not accept the programming completely the first time and it had to be reprogrammed.

#31 ·
I have a 2nd key that I need to program using the Remote Key Initialization and then hopefully I can test this out.
Sounds like it would be perfect for when the GF needs to use the car.

Thanks guys!

IF this setting isn't set by default, does anyone know what BMW charges to reprogram? (I'm well out of warranty)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.