Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series

5 Series
Ask questions and discuss the 5 Series here. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 02-28-2005, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528
1997 528 Check Engine Light

This winter, my check engine light came on a couple of times, then went away. More recently, my thermostat would go into the red zone, then return to normal, then go back to red and then back to normal and the engine light came back on. My mechanic said there is a slow coolant leak and I need a $1000-$1500 repair to the head cylinder gasket, but that it may be more than that once we get it opened (new cylinder, cracked engine block). The coolant was refilled and the indicator lights are off for now. The mechanic recommends trading the car now so that I do not start putting a lot of money into an older car with 100K miles. I was hoping to keep for a while. Any advice experience is appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Second opinions are of paramount importance here. See if you can find a good independent BMW mechanic.

I could tell you where to go in CA but not in PA, unfortunately....

Best of luck...keep us informed about what you find. How many miles?

How does the oil look? Is there coolant/water leaking into the oil? That usually makes the oil look lighter in color and even white sometimes...DAMHIKT!!