Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-01-2005, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 mystic blue x3
2005 X3 Problems Log

Hi,

I am seriously considering to buy my first bimmer - 2005 X3 3.0. I have heard a lot of good things about X3 (namely the way it performs in both dry and wet), but at the same time, I have also heard/seen from this site that the 2004 X3, being the first generation, is not reliable (referring to problems like AC not working well, power windows/moonroof not working, sound system or alarm not working, and other little electrical/minor problems, etc).

I would like to find out how the 2005 X3 is doing in this regards. I understand it is now only Q1 of 2005, but I am hoping that owners of 2005 X3 would use this thread to record the problems they encountered, big or small. This will be my first time to own a European car and people keep telling me my car will end up at the dealer more often than in my garage (compared to say a problem free car like Lexus).

Hope to get some real world opinion from all you experts and bimmer fans!

Appreciate all your input in advance!

ToeToe
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2005, 10:02 PM
humanum est errare

Mein Auto: which day is this?
I am glad to say that we have not had any of the electrical issues you referenced.

David

2004 e83 3.0, 2003.5 e46 M3 Cic, 2008 e9x 335xia, 2008 Sienna XLE Limted AWD
========================
Gone: 2006 B7 A4, 2003 Honda Pilot EX-L RES
Old 03-01-2005, 10:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi sportwagen
No problem here

Just got an 05 X3 3.0i. Had it for about a week now, 300 miles. No complaints. Handles great. Power is decent. Braking is incredible. Ride/noice level acceptable. Gas milage a bit low (less than 18 miles/gallon). Eletronics/fit and finish is great. One big plus is that 05 X3 head unit can play MP3 CDs ! Automatic headlights, wipers are very handy. I could go on and on... Great car. Received lots of compliments from coworkers :-)
Old 03-01-2005, 11:14 PM
US Army Retired

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 , 2009 Corvette,
No Problems yet !

I've owned BMWs for almost 15 years and am very satisfied with their reliabilty. That said problems will arise, this is a complex SAV with many moving parts and computers. And you never know what those guys down in Austria had to drink the night before they built these BMWs. They seem to have cleared out many of the X3 2004 gremlims but I'm sure many more will surface. Look at the bright side, you have 4 years/ 50,000 miles of warranty. Those telling you not to get one just don't want you to drive something more exciting than they do. Go for it, and come on over to the UDM.

Old 03-02-2005, 05:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 28i
It’s actually in its second year now. I have one of the early 2004 models and have 21,000 miles on it now. It has been the most reliable and trouble free car I have ever owned.

Don’t be too put off by postings of problems here. There just won’t be many threads that just say “Started the car, went to work, went home, no problems.” It is just natural to post when problems are encountered, and you will find similar postings on just about any auto forum out there. There has never been a car made that has had 0 failures. You will find most problems reported here are rather isolated cases, and the common problems such as door creaking have a solution.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. (Mark Twain)

any spelling or gramitical errors on my part are just glitches that appear to those that are not pproperly keyed into my code generator. If this occurs, pleas PM me for an updated deKription key.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: X3
mine made an engine noise like a worn t-belt on cold starts. turned out to be the alt belt tensioner pulley. dealer had to replace it last week at 970 miles. well, it lasted a good two days and now back to them again for the same sound with 1500 miles. everything else so far is good. i just hope they get this fixed. i'll give them 4 tries and after that, Ca Lemon Law time!
Old 03-02-2005, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: M3/X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by toetoe
Hi,
I would like to find out how the 2005 X3 is doing in this regards. I understand it is now only Q1 of 2005, but I am hoping that owners of 2005 X3 would use this thread to record the problems they encountered, big or small.
I have a fully loaded 2005 X3 3.0 that was manufactured in December. It has 2600 miles on it. It is a GREAT vehicle but not without some issues.

Here are the problems I have experienced. While they are not major, they are quite annoying.

PROBLEMS

The key remote will sometimes not work. I had to manually lock/unlock my doors several times already.

Rear windows will randomly open to about 6 inches when you close the front windows.

The X3 uses an excessive amount of wiper fluid because the rear window wiper squirts 3 times every time and the headlight washers come on every 4th time.

The trunk door can sometimes be difficult to close properly.

DESIGN ISSUES

The navigation system and computer user interface is cumbersome to use, the route algorithm is not very efficient and there is no way to scroll the map. The telephone and address book user interface is rather poorly designed.

The suspension on the highway can be a bit loose. Some sort of adaptive suspension (maybe they could call it Shockatronic ) is needed.

Last edited by x3man; 03-02-2005 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 mystic blue x3
DESIGN ISSUES

The navigation system and computer user interface is cumbersome to use, the route algorithm is not very efficient and there is no way to scroll the map. The telephone and address book user interface is rather poorly designed.

The suspension on the highway can be a bit loose. Some sort of adaptive suspension (maybe they could call it Shockatronic ) is needed.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the input! On the subject of navigation system....is there anyone who installed a aftermarket navigation system instead of the BMW one? If so, please let us know your feedback and what's the model that you installed!

ToeToe
Old 03-04-2005, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 x3 35i
Thumbs up X3 Electrical problems

I have had my 2005 X3 3.0i (6 speed, GPS, Xenon, Premium, power mirrors) since early December and I am very happy with it, overall. After driving a 4Runner for nearly eight years, the handling is amazing. But, since you asked, there are two problems:

As another owner posted, the key remote will sometimes not open the door and this usually occurs in some crowded urban area leading me to think it may be radio interference. Usually I can get around this by pressing the button repeatedly right next to the door but occasionally I have to open the door with the key, setting off the alarn and lights, and making a real nuisance. Of course, it will not do this for the dealer and a call to BMW National Service Assistance indicated that there are no service bulletins for this problem (yet). The thing with electrical problems is that they are often random and almost never demonstrable for the dealer. I have starting keeping a log of my problems with the alarm, and maybe that will help.

Again, as that other owner noted, my rear windows will also sometimes randomly open to about 6 inches when you close the front windows. They never open all the way, just half way. The driver's outside mirror also sometimes tips skyward, and I have even seen it do this with me outside of the car! In this case, my dealer says it is a "control module" in the driver's door and they have scheduled a replacement. We'll see.

But, would I recommend the X3? You bet.