Adaptive Headlights - Coding Error Messages Out? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-12-2016, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: E91
Adaptive Headlights - Coding Error Messages Out?

I picked up an e91 Msport manual earlier this year and am pretty stoked. Within the first week, I swapped the bulbs out for LUX units; the driver's side compartment was a real pain, and unfortunately the cap was apparently not screwed on tight because water got in and promptly shorted my light out. Luckily, the light motor died with the light facing straight forward and properly aligned - issue is the annoying error messages that block the useful information on my idrive and other displays every time I operate the car.

My local dealership and indy shops are saying that there is nothing I can do - bite the bullet and pay the $1500+ for a new OEM light assembly and the labor required, as my 2011 is out of warranty. I just have a hard time swallowing that for the inconvenience of some annoying messages. My dealership also said that it could be the headlight control unit that shorted out - best case scenario, that part is only 550.00. Like I said, the light is aligned straight - there is just a little gap around the Xenon bulb and the casing around it (probably 1/4") which makes me think maybe the assembly itself is the issue?

Either way, hoping maybe someone has some info on if this can be coded out - I have read a few forums that sound like it can be done but my shops are telling me 'no-go' without spending the money to replace it all. Any coders in the Wisconsin/IL area that can advise?

Thanks in advance! -Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2016, 03:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335Ci
Yes, the checks and warnings can be coded out. Check out the coding forum.

'08 335 E92, M-Sport, 6 sp auto w/paddle shift
JB4 PNP G5 ISO, progressive meth flash, 3" charge pipe w/dual CM5 nozzles, 80% meth, Oil Catch Can, ECS Front Strut Brace
KW V2 Coil over suspension

CCA Member 109065

CQ ... CQ...Kilo Charlie 3 Bravo Whiskey Zulu calling CQ
Old 02-12-2016, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Search this forum. I've posted many times about what options you have, typically under a couple hundred dollars.

The headlight control unit is the xenon ballast....if this were bad, your main beams would not light up. Dealers will screw you over on this issue, every time.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | Custom Polyurethane Shore A90 Tension Strut Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | UUC Front Sway Bar | Custom Heim Joint Rear Control Arms | Apex ARC-8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake | aFe Oiled Drop-in Filter | Custom Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 02-12-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2016, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: E91
So someone from Carly replied and gave a very convoluted answer, eventually generalizing and saying that if the light error is sporadic, it can be coded out; if it is static, then the light assembly must be replaced to remove the message. I seem to have come across forum threads previously where people have been able to code out the adaptive headlight error message - I am curious to know if anyone has done this with the Carly App or if I need something else? Greatly appreciate anyone that can confirm this can be done, what program was used/what module it is listed under for certain to remove the warning message, and if there is anyone in the surrounding Milwaukee/Chicago area that would be willing to help a guy out for some cash in return. MUCH appreciated - my unicorn is marred every time I drive her by the unsightly adaptive failure messages...
Old 04-30-2017, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
So someone from Carly replied and gave a very convoluted answer, eventually generalizing and saying that if the light error is sporadic, it can be coded out; if it is static, then the light assembly must be replaced to remove the message. I seem to have come across forum threads previously where people have been able to code out the adaptive headlight error message - I am curious to know if anyone has done this with the Carly App or if I need something else? Greatly appreciate anyone that can confirm this can be done, what program was used/what module it is listed under for certain to remove the warning message, and if there is anyone in the surrounding Milwaukee/Chicago area that would be willing to help a guy out for some cash in return. MUCH appreciated - my unicorn is marred every time I drive her by the unsightly adaptive failure messages...
Has anyone used Carly to decode the adaptive headlight option ?
Old 04-30-2017, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Carly cannot code out adaptive. It's VO coding. Carly does not do VO coding

| LCI Msport Conversion | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | Custom Polyurethane Shore A90 Tension Strut Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | UUC Front Sway Bar | Custom Heim Joint Rear Control Arms | Apex ARC-8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake | aFe Oiled Drop-in Filter | Custom Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 04-30-2017, 02:01 PM
RLTW

Mein Auto: 2013 LMB 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Carly cannot code out adaptive. It's VO coding. Carly does not do VO coding
I just coded this out for a guy today that did a halogen to xenon retrofit. He upgraded to a FRM2 AHL for the retrofit so I just wrote $522 to his VO. Didn't have $524 in his VO to remove but the FRM was throwing the error because it expected AHL to be there. I just set
ALC_FAHRZEUG, ALC_KLS_ENABLE, and CHECK_SMC_ERROR to nicht aktiv and it cleared the error.

So yes Carly can't do it but there's ways around the VO.

2013 LMB 335is | DCT | FAST
Old 12-06-2017, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528 x-drive
Adaptive Headlight Error Message

I feel your pain. I have a 528 I-Drive 2012 and directional light went out on right side and Adaptive Headlight Error Message came on. I had a new module put in by an independent BMW shop and it worked fine, error message out. Few months later, Adaptive Headlight Error message back on but the directional was working. I noticed this message came on whenever it rained or snowed or I went through car wash. BMW won't warranty the part since we discovered water in the assembly which they demanded to see and run a test on the module. They said since water entered the assembly part is not warranted. We just tried putting a new module in the damaged right side and the new module won't allow a software programming. So, new module and non-working directional and Adaptive error message. Any ideas? Can you swap the module from left to right side or are they not interchangeable?

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
adaptive, code, e91, headlights

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search