Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-03-2005, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 330i ZHP
'05 330i Can 6 disc, Sirius and input be installed

I'm taking delivery next week and am going to have Serius installed. Can I also have the 6 disc changer and the cockpit input installed? Is there inputs for all three in the wiring or does one overrule the other? Is there a limited number of inputs? Thanks, J
Ads by Google
Old 03-03-2005, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 330Xi PP,CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lederman
I'm taking delivery next week and am going to have Serius installed. Can I also have the 6 disc changer and the cockpit input installed? Is there inputs for all three in the wiring or does one overrule the other? Is there a limited number of inputs? Thanks, J
Yes, you can have it all. -rkahn
Old 03-04-2005, 04:48 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
Yes you can have it all. You need the following parts, assuming you have nothing other than the factory HK Business CD Head Unit and no Nav. You can still have it all if you have Nav but the part numbers below change slightly. I installed all this myself - it was a snap - complete install instructons located on this site for everything - just search and you shall find. By the way, IMHO I would not use the BMW factory CD changer but rather the Alpine mentioned below. Cheaper and better as far as CD changers go I think. Anyway here is the parts list:

1 Alpine CHA-S634 6 Disc CD MP3 Changer
1 Alpine KCA-130B Ai-NET to M-Bus Adapter
1 Soundgate ABMW35V5 BMW-to-Alpine CD Changer Interface
1 BMW CD Changer Install Kit Part #82-11-1-470-436 4 (If you don't already have it)
1 BMW SIRIUS Satellite Radio System E46 Sedan Receiver 84-11-0-153-365
1 BMW SIRIUS Satellite Radio System E46 Sedan Low profile antenna 84-11-0-392-099
1 BMW SIRIUS Satellite Radio System E46 Sedan Install Kit 84-11-0-141-976
1 BMW Y - Cable (for vehicles w/ CD Changer) #84-11-0-150-526
1 BMW Auxiliary Audio Input 82-11-0-149-389

That is all I think. As I said I have all this in my car, works great and I did the install myself. In fact, my dealer had no clue you could have all this in the car. They tried to tell me that I was limited to just the CD Changer or just the Sirius option - of course that was until I talked to some folks on this site. Anyway, if you are just a little bit handy and can follow simple directions with pictures you should be able to install all this gear yourself with no problem and save hundreds of dollars in inflated dealer labor rates. Plus, as I said, most of them have no clue about this stuff. Let me know if you have any more questions!! Good luck!!! Take your time with the install and you should be stylin'!
Old 03-04-2005, 05:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSteinman
Yes you can have it all. You need the following parts, assuming you have nothing other than the factory HK Business CD Head Unit and no Nav. You can still have it all if you have Nav but the part numbers below change slightly. I installed all this myself - it was a snap - complete install instructons located on this site for everything - just search and you shall find. By the way, IMHO I would not use the BMW factory CD changer but rather the Alpine mentioned below. Cheaper and better as far as CD changers go I think. Anyway here is the parts list:

1 Alpine CHA-S634 6 Disc CD MP3 Changer
1 Alpine KCA-130B Ai-NET to M-Bus Adapter
1 Soundgate ABMW35V5 BMW-to-Alpine CD Changer Interface
1 BMW CD Changer Install Kit Part #82-11-1-470-436 4 (If you don't already have it)
1 BMW SIRIUS Satellite Radio System E46 Sedan Receiver 84-11-0-153-365
1 BMW SIRIUS Satellite Radio System E46 Sedan Low profile antenna 84-11-0-392-099
1 BMW SIRIUS Satellite Radio System E46 Sedan Install Kit 84-11-0-141-976
1 BMW Y - Cable (for vehicles w/ CD Changer) #84-11-0-150-526
1 BMW Auxiliary Audio Input 82-11-0-149-389

That is all I think. As I said I have all this in my car, works great and I did the install myself. In fact, my dealer had no clue you could have all this in the car. They tried to tell me that I was limited to just the CD Changer or just the Sirius option - of course that was until I talked to some folks on this site. Anyway, if you are just a little bit handy and can follow simple directions with pictures you should be able to install all this gear yourself with no problem and save hundreds of dollars in inflated dealer labor rates. Plus, as I said, most of them have no clue about this stuff. Let me know if you have any more questions!! Good luck!!! Take your time with the install and you should be stylin'!

That is the way to go. You probably will not need the install kit. I did not.

A cheaper alternative to Sirius is XM radio. The hardware and subscription is cheaper. You get the same functionality at the HU as if you had a Sirius tuner. If you add the aux or IPOD input the HU will recognize that and will show up as a selection in your MODE button.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:18 AM

Thanks, For all the advice. What is better about the Alpine 6 disc over the BMW branded unit? Thanks again, J
Old 03-04-2005, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks, For all the advice. What is better about the Alpine 6 disc over the BMW branded unit? Thanks again, J
There should be absolute not difference except that your wallet may over $200 lighter if you buy the BMW branded changer. The BMW changer is made by Alpine. The issue with the Alpine unit is that is speaks M Bus not I Bus. That is where the Blitzsafe adapter comes into play. An Alpine CD changer with adapter can be had for under $250. An Alpine MP3 changer can be had for under $350. The outside boxes of either changer are identical to the BMW box so they install perfectly in the designated space in the trunk.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:39 AM

Here is the biggest difference between the Alpine CHA-S634 6 Disc CD MP3 Changer and the factory OEM CD Changer....

The factory CD changer will not play anything but standard CDs. The Alpine plays them all, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3, WMA and WAV file formats along with standard CDs. Also, as the previous post states, it is CHEAPER. I paid $239 for the Alpine changer, $14 for the Alpine cable adapter, $99 for the Soundgate device and $12 for the BMW y-cable. Very inexpensive for what you get and you can get it all from one source.

Check out this link for everything you need including DIY specs: http://www.my330i.com/mod33.php
Old 03-05-2005, 07:00 AM

OK, I am almost convinced to do this myself. If I forget the input instalation up front I'm sure I can do it. Since I havn't taken delivery yet Is there a way I can tell if the car will come with the bracket? That looks like the hardest part of the job other than getting the trunk liner in and out without any creases. Thanks, J
Old 03-05-2005, 07:19 AM

Quote:
OK, I am almost convinced to do this myself. If I forget the input instalation up front I'm sure I can do it. Since I havn't taken delivery yet Is there a way I can tell if the car will come with the bracket? That looks like the hardest part of the job other than getting the trunk liner in and out without any creases. Thanks, J
The mounting rack has come standard since MY 2003.

Do budget about 2 1/2 hours for the install. It may take less but you do not want to rush things. If you are going to also do Sirius/XM, then this a good time to do it too. It is too much PITA to go back and remove the trunk liner to do another installation. Ask me how I know.

Last edited by LDV330i; 03-05-2005 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:18 AM

When you look in the trunk if you see the "trap door" where the changer would be located on the left side you can be pretty sure that you have all the mounting hardware already installed. The changer itself comes with the brackets required to mount it.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: Bavarian
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
:
A cheaper alternative to Sirius is XM radio. The hardware and subscription is cheaper.
XM is no longer cheaper - they recently anounced a price increase to $12.99...
Old 03-06-2005, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roup1
XM is no longer cheaper - they recently anounced a price increase to $12.99...
Yes but they are providing a couple more freebies. Well, I am glad I prepaid 2 years so I got a discount and froze my rate.

Quote:
Beginning April 2, 2005, we will expand the basic service package to include two premium services at no additional charge the High Voltage channel (previously $1.99/month) and XM Radio Online (previously $3.99/month). The monthly subscription price for our new expanded basic service will increase to $12.95 beginning April 2, 2005. The price change will not affect XM's Family Plan, which allows you to add up to four additional subscriptions for $6.99/month per radio.
Maybe I should go ahead and sign up for a few more years.

Quote:
Until April 2, 2005, we are offering our existing subscribers an opportunity to lock in today's lower monthly rate by selecting a one-year or multi-year pre-paid subscription plan, which provides significant long-term savings.

Last edited by LDV330i; 03-06-2005 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 03-07-2005, 02:13 PM

I ordered the Alpine equipment today from Logjam. $425 approx. I will purchase the BMW Sirius stuff from my BMW dealer. I am told I will get the parts at dealer cost with the vehicle purchase. I'm going with Sirius because I have expierience with both and Sirius has a better 70s station. The rest of the programming seems comprable. I did not order or price the install kit thinking it may already be in there. So that will be the first thing I check out when I go in for delivery. Once again thanks very much for all the advice. J
Old 03-11-2005, 10:36 AM

I am a huge wimp. I let the dealership do the instal with the Alpine units purchased from Logjam and the Sirius units from BMW. I was out of town when the car arrived at the dealership and I wanted it ready to go wjhen I got back. Total cost for the Sirius parts and labour for the total instalation was about $500. I proboly paid too much but I am loving the new car and everything seems to work perfectly. Thanks again for all your help. J
Old 03-11-2005, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I am a huge wimp. I let the dealership do the instal with the Alpine units purchased from Logjam and the Sirius units from BMW. I was out of town when the car arrived at the dealership and I wanted it ready to go wjhen I got back. Total cost for the Sirius parts and labour for the total instalation was about $500. I proboly paid too much but I am loving the new car and everything seems to work perfectly. Thanks again for all your help. J
Hope you you enjoying your audio set up and the new car.

I am really surprised that your dealer was willing to install an non OEM part (Alpine changer with adapter).
Old 03-11-2005, 04:38 PM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
I missed this thread the first time around... it looks like there are some good suggestions here. I was wondering if these options apply equally to a 330cic, since I can't get the OEM Sirius as an option yet either. I think I'd also be interested in the Alpine CD changer. My stereo is completely stock right now HK/NAV w/in dash CD. I've been thinking about how to upgrade my stereo w/satellite and an MP3 player or CD changer, but haven't decided exactly what I want yet. I've heard good things about the IceLink, but I don't even have an iPod yet (been thinking about getting that too).

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)
Old 03-11-2005, 07:09 PM

My sales guy said he would ask and was obviosley skeptical. When I called back he said it would be in before I got home. I am pleasantly suprised. Now if I just had the "passkey" for the blue tooth all would be right in the world. J
Old 03-11-2005, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
I missed this thread the first time around... it looks like there are some good suggestions here. I was wondering if these options apply equally to a 330cic, since I can't get the OEM Sirius as an option yet either. I think I'd also be interested in the Alpine CD changer. My stereo is completely stock right now HK/NAV w/in dash CD. I've been thinking about how to upgrade my stereo w/satellite and an MP3 player or CD changer, but haven't decided exactly what I want yet. I've heard good things about the IceLink, but I don't even have an iPod yet (been thinking about getting that too).

--J.
Check this thread out regarding compatiblity of the accessories you want to install.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:21 AM
Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
Check this thread out regarding compatiblity of the accessories you want to install.
Thanks, but I know that thread well and what is available from BMW--what I want to know is if the options offered in the threads above are compatible with my car (i.e. the XM unit and the Alpine unit)

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)
Old 03-12-2005, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Thanks, but I know that thread well and what is available from BMW--what I want to know is if the options offered in the threads above are compatible with my car (i.e. the XM unit and the Alpine unit)

--J.
As shown on my sig, XM and an Alpine CD changer do work together. Unfortunately, your sig says you have Nav and Premiun Package (Assist) and per the post I suggested:

Quote:
Sirius is available for nav-equipped cars built 9/03 or later, but XM Direct does not work with navigation at this time (they're still working on it). Note that Sirius is not currently available for convertibles equipped with nav AND Assist. An installation kit hasn't yet been released for this configuration, but it should be VERY shortly.
That post is still correct. Blitzsafe still has not brought out an adapter for NAV equipped cars. For nearly a year they have been promising it would be available shortly.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Padawan

Hey, thanks for clearing that up; I didn't make the connection before and thought that a different XM solution was being discussed. Looks like I'm still SOL for satellite.

Does anyone know if the Alpine CHA-S634 6 Disc CD MP3 Changer will work with an '04/Cabrio/HK/NAV/Assist in the same way as the OEM unit?

--J.