Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-07-2005, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: 05-X3-3.0 / Alpine White
Smile Oil Change at 2,500 miles

F.Y.I - Decided to pay for an oil change at 2,500 on my 2005 X3, it was worth it, I am getting a much better - city average MPG... it went from about 15.7 to 16.7/8...
Ads by Google
Old 03-07-2005, 07:57 AM
Steve Wolf

Send a message via MSN to stevenw66
Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Milage Better with Oil Change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpm
F.Y.I - Decided to pay for an oil change at 2,500 on my 2005 X3, it was worth it, I am getting a much better - city average MPG... it went from about 15.7 to 16.7/8...
I was planning to wiat till 5K miles, seems reasonable for synthetic oil. Did you go through dealer or not? I've never heard of milage improving with oil change?

2005 3.0i X3 SAV
Blue Water Matallic
Premium Package
Cold Weather Package
Homelink & Compass Mirror
PDC
Ice Link Plus
HI Adaptive Lights
Leather
Self Folding Mirrors
Adaptive Steering
Old 03-07-2005, 08:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535ix 2008 E61
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpm
Highly unlikely that an oil change would improve mileage. If this were the case, the oil companies would be falling all over themselves promoting oil changes as a way to save money on gas. More likely explanations: change in tire inflation; change in climate; change in driving patterns. Probably not a long enough sample anyhow from which to draw any conclusions.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenw66
I was planning to wiat till 5K miles, seems reasonable for synthetic oil. Did you go through dealer or not? I've never heard of milage improving with oil change?
I did use my authorized BMW dealer... cost was about $75.00.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinschela
Highly unlikely that an oil change would improve mileage. If this were the case, the oil companies would be falling all over themselves promoting oil changes as a way to save money on gas. More likely explanations: change in tire inflation; change in climate; change in driving patterns. Probably not a long enough sample anyhow from which to draw any conclusions.
I agree it seems very unlikely and might be due to some of the above, I still have a big problem in waiting for the 15,000 mile mark for an oil cahnge Irrelevant of the vehicle
Manufacturer or the type / grade of oil...
Old 03-08-2005, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Increase in mileage could also have to do with the fact that the engine is broken in, leading to lower frictional resistance of the engine's moving parts.

Regarding an oil change before the recommended service interval, it certainly can't hurt, except for the $ (and it might help), so I say go for it, especially it if it makes you feel better. The experts say that the high quality synthetics really do retain their functional qualities MUCH longer than conventional motor oils; it's just hard to get used to the idea of waiting so long between oil changes when the oft-repeated mantra (especially by oil change shops) is change your oil every three thousand.

Personally, I believe that other systems in the vehicle will fail long before the engine fails due to poor oil quality. I'm sticking to the recommended interval.

By the way, the oil change interval is not exactly 15,000 miles. It is determined by an onboard computer that records data from your vehicle's actual usage, such as number of cold starts, driving style, and mileage.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 E90 325, 2007 Rav4
I used to be a Blackhawk mechanic (that's a helicopter by the way) for over 8 years and we NEVER changed the oil in those 100,000 dollar gas-turbine engines. Reason: superior lubrication with synthetic oil and superior oil filtration. The only kind of service on these engines was to replace the filters at the 500 hour inspection. The technical manuals didn't even mention draining the oil at all.
I think if BMW has decided that 15000 miles is a good oil change interval, I would believe them. They certainly have a lot more engineering experience than I do. We have to lose this 3000 mile mentality.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:49 AM
TTSam

Mein Auto: E92 M3 - 535 xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron1011
I used to be a Blackhawk mechanic (that's a helicopter by the way) for over 8 years and we NEVER changed the oil in those 100,000 dollar gas-turbine engines. Reason: superior lubrication with synthetic oil and superior oil filtration. The only kind of service on these engines was to replace the filters at the 500 hour inspection. The technical manuals didn't even mention draining the oil at all.
I think if BMW has decided that 15000 miles is a good oil change interval, I would believe them. They certainly have a lot more engineering experience than I do. We have to lose this 3000 mile mentality.
A good friend of mine is the shop forman at the BMW dealer I bought my X3 from.

He had some interesting comments on this. He said he personally he would change around 7500 if you were hard on the driving, stoplight jack rabbit, lots of urban stop and go, dusty etc..

He did mention the synthetics are so good now the 15,000+/- interval is reasonable.

He also said oddly enough he would use regular or medium gas in winter climates such as in Canada, and not premium. I wil have to ask him why.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: E53 X5, E86 Z4MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron1011

Please note that the Blackhawk doesn't get cranked on/off half a dozen times a day nor does it get to fly only on 5 to 10 minutes short trips (with it's engines shut off in between trips, of course). It's the constant starting and short trips (oil not getting up to the proper operating temperature) that's contaminating the oil/filter. Also, I'm sure the Blackhawk holds alot more than just the 8 or 8.5 quarts of oil as it in the bimmers. I'm not too worried about the oil being able to withstand the 15000 miles interval as much as I'm worried about the oil filter able to withstand that length of time. Once the filter is clogged, oil will just get recycled through the bypass valve (no filtering/cleaning of the oil at all). Look at it this way, if you're changing at 7500 miles (1/2 the recommended interval), it's an extra $50 bucks to protect your $40,000+ investment plus that peace of mind.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkl
Please note that the Blackhawk doesn't get cranked on/off half a dozen times a day nor does it get to fly only on 5 to 10 minutes short trips (with it's engines shut off in between trips, of course). It's the constant starting and short trips (oil not getting up to the proper operating temperature) that's contaminating the oil/filter. Also, I'm sure the Blackhawk holds alot more than just the 8 or 8.5 quarts of oil as it in the bimmers. I'm not too worried about the oil being able to withstand the 15000 miles interval as much as I'm worried about the oil filter able to withstand that length of time. Once the filter is clogged, oil will just get recycled through the bypass valve (no filtering/cleaning of the oil at all). Look at it this way, if you're changing at 7500 miles (1/2 the recommended interval), it's an extra $50 bucks to protect your $40,000+ investment plus that peace of mind.
While you're right that the X3 might get cranked on/off half a dozen times a day and go on several five to ten minute trips daily with the engine shut down in between, the X3's computer will monitor that activity and set the oil change interval accordingly. As stated in a previous post, the interval is not exactly 15,000 miles; the computer monitors numerous factors and determines the correct interval for each vehicle based on actual usage. Based on my usage, as an example, the computer is telling me that my first oil change will be due at approximately 17,500 miles.

At the same time, I think you're absolutely right that if it gives the owner peace of mind to shorten the interval, he/she should do so. Personally, I trust that the BMW engineers know what they're doing and have not established oil change intervals that will lead to premature engine failure.

I also heard that the cost is more like $90 if you have the dealer do it...
Old 03-16-2005, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0
Mine is at 3500 miles. I checked prices from the dealer and one of those oil stop places. Dealer wanted $150, Pennzoil oil (sythetic option) change wanted $90.
Nav
Xenon
Servo
Folded Mirrors
Privacy Glass
Heated Seats

Last edited by fill007; 03-16-2005 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fill007
Mine is at 3500 miles. I checked prices from the dealer and one of those oil stop places. Dealer wanted $150, Pennzoil oil (sythetic option) change wanted $90.
ouch! if you can, try to DIY. it'll cost you less
Old 03-17-2005, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkl
Actually, flying for the Imigration Customs Enforcement a lot of our Hawks did get flown several times a day. This included 15 minute engine HIT (Health Indicator Test) tests, shutting down, make neccessary adjustments, doing a 30 minute hover, shutting down, making blade track and balance adjustments, doing a 20 minute flight, shutdown, adjustment, and so on. This would go on all day. These engines also put up with dust-off landings and takeoffs, extreme 120 degree operating climates (Tucson, AZ), and the normal daily 'hotdogging' by our self-proclaimed airshow pilots. As far as quantity of oil, each engine takes about 10 quarts (if memory serves).

The only difference between turbine engines and normal piston engines is the fact that the oil is exposed to piston blow-by. This is the reason that your oil gets discolored over time. It does not change the viscosity of the oil as much as it puts carbon into the oil.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3
I'll wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpm
I agree it seems very unlikely and might be due to some of the above, I still have a big problem in waiting for the 15,000 mile mark for an oil cahnge Irrelevant of the vehicle
Manufacturer or the type / grade of oil...

I will follow the maintenance plan. Saab also does this, but thier first oil change is at 20k. I just had mine changed at 19k on my 9-5 (it even popped up on the computer to have it done). I was very skeptical though. But, it's fine!
Old 03-28-2005, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0, Infinit FX35
It seems that the company’s that include free maintenance (Jaguar et. al) require a much less frequent service interval.
Opposed to when we have to pay for it…hmm.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:10 AM
Ripening slushbox drifter

Send a message via AIM to jk330i
Mein Auto: 2002 330i OB
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpm

You have sythetic oil, no need to change your oil at 2500 miles, even Hondas are changed at 3-4000 miles. I mean if you said you did the change at 5000 or 7500 that makes some sense, however, every 2500 is crazy. And it should have not made any difference to your avg mpg, I think you just drove with less gas on the pedal.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:11 PM
E90 325i

Mein Auto: E90 325i
Modern Oils are very good

A co-worker of mine just came to her current job from a major oil company division that produces the lube oil additives. Her information on testing that she has seen indicates that the modern lubes are of such superior quality, that 10,000 mile oil change intervals are normal and OK. She said that the marketing campaigns from Jiffy Lube, et al, which call for 3000 mile oil changes are a crock of $*&^>
Old 03-29-2005, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpm
The only reason the car is getting better gas mileage (and will continue) is because the engine is loosening up and getting broken in. Most motors won't be fully broken in until at least 15000 miles.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325IT
Oil change

Just had my 2004 325IT oil changed last month at 13500. I bought it as CPO with 11500 on it. I asked the SA about getting an oil change done at 7500 intervals. He said it is a waste of mone but go ahead if it "makes me feel good".

My wife drives a VW with convetional oil. I am used to oil change at 4000-5000 interval so I was really uneasy about changing oil at 13500. But I figure BMW had done its homework and know what it is talking about.

Does anyone have any hard evidence this 15000 (or in the neighborhood) miles per oil change schedule is actually harming the engine?
Old 03-30-2005, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 07 Alpine Sport X3.0si
I plan on changing my oil regularly at 7500 miles. There's so much talk/debate over this topic. I think the bottom line is, you pay for the service at shorter intervals for the peace of mind ...

Also, I would think the filter life is the element that should be questioned. The oil may still be good, but the filter may be shot.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 991 Carrera
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipo
By the way, the oil change interval is not exactly 15,000 miles. It is determined by an onboard computer that records data from your vehicle's actual usage, such as number of cold starts, driving style, and mileage.
Anecdotal evidence is that the service indicator simply measures how long it takes for 600 gallons of gas to pass through your engine. My experience on two BMW's seems to be pretty close to that.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG
A good friend of mine is the shop forman at the BMW dealer I bought my X3 from.
He also said oddly enough he would use regular or medium gas in winter climates such as in Canada, and not premium. I wil have to ask him why.
FWIW, I have never put anything other than regular in a BMW 850csi, Z3, or my X3 2.5. I have never had an issue.

I have been told at a dealership, off the record, that regular is fine, that BMW gets money from gas manufactures to require Premium. I do not have anything other than word of mouth to back that up though.
Flamenco Red
XM Roady2
Old 04-20-2005, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurelarry
FWIW, I have never put anything other than regular in a BMW 850csi, Z3, or my X3 2.5. I have never had an issue.

I have been told at a dealership, off the record, that regular is fine, that BMW gets money from gas manufactures to require Premium. I do not have anything other than word of mouth to back that up though.
Don't you want that extra little kick that the premium gas provides? Maybe I'm wrong but I find that regular gas burns quicker (doesn't last as long) than premium and also makes the car just a little more sluggush. I aslo have a hard time believing that BMW would get a kick back from gas manufactures to state that premium is required without providing any hard evidence to back that up. I'm sure that would break more than a couple of laws. I wouldn't put it past anyone, especially in these days of coporate fraud, but I doubt BMW would risk their reputation by doing this. Especially with all the attention that oil has received in the past couple of years.

Last edited by Rob V; 04-20-2005 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V
Don't you want that extra little kick that the premium gas provides? Maybe I'm wrong but I find that regular gas burns quicker (doesn't last as long) than premium and also makes the car just a little more sluggush. I aslo have a hard time believing that BMW would get a kick back from gas manufactures to state that premium is required. I'm sure that would break more than a couple of laws. I wouldn't put it past anyone, especially in these days of coporate fraud, but I doubt BMW would risk their reputation by doing this. Especially with all the attention that oil has received in the past couple of years.
I have never found the cars to be sluggish, at all. The 850 was quite the opposite

If I experenced knocking, etc. I would go to the next highest octane.

I do not see how being paid to say a particular octane is recommend would be illegal. As a consumer you have the ultimate say by picking what you want in the tank. Of course, I am not a lawyer.
Flamenco Red
XM Roady2
Old 04-20-2005, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
Recommended Octane is of course not a problem. I was referring to the original post indicating that it was required. Just misinterpretation on my part, sorry about that.