Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-21-2005, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurelarry
I have never found the cars to be sluggish, at all. The 850 was quite the opposite

If I experenced knocking, etc. I would go to the next highest octane.

I do not see how being paid to say a particular octane is recommend would be illegal. As a consumer you have the ultimate say by picking what you want in the tank. Of course, I am not a lawyer.

See on a modern car you probably would NEVER get any knocking - the ECM would simply retard timing until it didn't knock - causing a power loss and increased fuel consumption.
I don't thinkt here's any conspiracy with the automakers to 'require' premium fuel - if you are goign to run a high performance, high compression engine, you simply NEED higher octane to prevent knocking (or rather, prevent the timing from being retarded which defeats the purpose of the high performance engine). If you want 'conspiracy' look at the idiotic use of oxygenated fuels. No vehicle with a feedback air/fuel control will get 'reduced emissions' from that junk. On the contrary, to maintain the same air/fuel ratio, MORE FUEL will be consumed! That's why people in places where they switch for the winter months experience widely varying mileage results. The government mandates reduced emissions, the gas companies come up with an additive that does this - for old cars! - and gets to charge more for the fuel because of the price of the additive, PLUS MOST people will use more fuel for the same amount of miles driven.

--Randy
Old 05-01-2005, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 E46
the reason why lower octane is recommended by some folks to be used in the winter is for all the reasons mentioned by the previous posters here. Lower octane fuel is easier to ignite and burn. The down side is it burns dirtier and quicker, less efficiently which may translate to lower fuel economy. The old age arguement could be said for city versus freeway/highway driving of course. Going back to the original comment, lower octane fuel would make starting up the car in the winter easier.

Other old school practices include using thiner viscosity oil in the winter, and thicker oil in the summers. The technology today may make these practices out of date now but some still follow this. My m3 has its 15k mile oil change interval. At nearly $10 a quart of 10w60, I am sure the synthetic oil used is of the highest quality by Castrol. i am currently at the 8900 mile mark now and look forward to my next oil change at 15k to see and feel a difference.

All the best
-al
Old 06-16-2005, 09:30 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
oil change

I am old school... Syn or non change your oil every 3k...

7.5 k 10 K and 15 k seems a little too much...

Later
Old 06-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: exBMW X3 & MB C240/ML350
This was fascinating reading. From Blackhawk mechanics to soccer moms...I have always followed the service schedule simply because i'm not an engineering, and i'm hopeful that if BMW suggest 15K...then 15K it is.

It's not a matter of being old school and wanting to still abide by the 3 - 5k as required by a Honda, et. al. (pre 00) or a Model T. The engine and oil has been improved upon; thus, it simply isn't necessary to live in the 1920s regarding oil change. My dealership charges between $95 - $105 for an oil change. It stands to reason that they would want people coming more often so they could get more money on the service. So the requirement of 15K doesn't appear to be so far fetched.

I view it this way. When I was a child and got sick, my mom would give me 2 teaspoon of a particular medicine as prescribed by the doctor. Fast forward to the present, my illness has mutated and the pharmaceutical companies now make medicine that is stronger/better than was previously on the market. The directions now states: take 1 teaspoon. "But no!" ...some would say, "i'm not comfortable with the 1 teaspoon instructions because i'm so use to taking 2." Guess what, they'll keep taking the 2 because that's what they're use to doing, even though doctors told them otherwise, explaining that the human genome being mapped & DNA has allowed for better chemical formulation. They won't be comfortable with the advances in medical science. They'll change the horseshoe sooner than recommended by the blacksmith. Please forgive my simply analogy.

Suffice it to say, I was very interested in many comments posted, and learned a lot regarding what grade gas to use, etc. So, i'm conflicted in my need to believe that the gas grade doesn't matter. I would hope that adventurelarry and others could expound upon the need for high vs low grade gas, as i would like to downgrade to the cheapest gas if it won't hurt my car.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0, '06 911S
Posted on another board: http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e83/6631827-1.html

Some quotes from the study:
1. "Engine wear actually decreases as oil ages."
2. "compulsive oil changers are actually causing more engine wear than the people who let their engine's oil get some age on it."
3. "we'd recommend 8,000 miles between oil changes on an engine that uses no oil at all, perhaps 10,000 miles on an engine that uses some oil, and 15,000 miles or beyond with a filter change every 5,000 miles."
4. "3,000-mile [oil change] intervals is a huge waste of resources"
5. "Topping up the crankcase is a critical component of extended oil change intervals, and frequent filter changes are most likely the key to extreme-length intervals. The cumulative effect of even minor top-ups, let alone a filter change, substantially increases the longevity of the oil."

More and more evidence is suggesting that the mythical "3000 oil-change" rule is no longer applicable - and may actually do more damage. There have been huge advances in oil and engine technology since this idea was seared into the mind of the public.

TVN
Old 06-17-2005, 01:11 PM

Thanks

nuff said... The posted info seems very conclusive. Thanks. Now i wish someone with as much valuable info regarding the need for high grade versus low grade gas would enlighten me from my darkness.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tromar1
I would hope that adventurelarry and others could expound upon the need for high vs low grade gas, as i would like to downgrade to the cheapest gas if it won't hurt my car.
I wish I could, however, as I have said on other threads I am kind of a knob with this stuff. I have been doing some more experimenting now that my X3 is approaching 10k miles. I have been using Shell 93 (and 2 tanks of Sunoco 91) for the past 3K miles. I appear to be getting almost 7% better mileage with the higher octane, which basically makes the cost difference negligable.

I have recently put my Yakima rack, with Kayak saddles on, and I am back down to an average of 20.1 mpg now.

--Larry
Flamenco Red
XM Roady2
Old 06-17-2005, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
Some good posts! I look at the premium fuel vs. regular fuel this way: You may save 10% per gallon using regular, but you will give it back when your engine management systems alters spark timing, resulting in 10 to 15% less power and fuel efficiency. In other words, you get less MPG with regular and end up paying the same cost per mile. Go with premium, have no guilt and have FUN! That is why you drive a beemer anyway, right?!
Old 06-17-2005, 09:03 PM

Thanks people...that's what i wanted to hear. 93 octane for me. However, I'll still follow the recommended schedule for the oil change.

Good going with the responses.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurelarry
I wish I could, however, as I have said on other threads I am kind of a knob with this stuff. I have been doing some more experimenting now that my X3 is approaching 10k miles. I have been using Shell 93 (and 2 tanks of Sunoco 91) for the past 3K miles. I appear to be getting almost 7% better mileage with the higher octane, which basically makes the cost difference negligable.

I have recently put my Yakima rack, with Kayak saddles on, and I am back down to an average of 20.1 mpg now.

--Larry
Hey, adventurelarry, after surviving the octane wars on another thread, you have now been anointed the octane guru! I've seen the light and now use exclusively 91+ octane.

I'm picking up a used canoe tomorrow with my X3. No rack yet, just foam blocks and some rope for now. I'll let you know when we head up to NH so we can share that cup of coffee you talked about.