Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 03-07-2005, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 BMW 328i
Ticking noise from engine..

I am new to this forum and I appreciate the material available here.
Can anyone direct me to a reliable BMW mechanic in Jersey City NJ (or nearby areas)
I need to get the emmissions and the suspension checked.
the dealer is ripping me off
Also, I hear a ticking noise from the hood when i'm idling..Anyone had this issue?
Your responses are appreciated
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2005, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: 318ti
you could have a belt problem. it is probably not to expensive too fix whatever it is. Just go to any sort of shop and have them check it out.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:36 PM
EURO STYLE

Mein Auto: two/325i,VW,Renault
The the ticking is the VANOS so you are in good shape lot of people complaint about it, but once it warms up is all gone. I'll check for a shop for you.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:41 PM
EURO STYLE

check this places out:

motorworkswest(.com).

Rolf's Auto Craft
Address: 224 Broad St, Summit, NJ 07901
Phone: (908) 273-0578

That is all I could find so far. Good reputation from fellow BMW owners.

Good luck.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Schnitzer
check this places out:

motorworkswest(.com).

Rolf's Auto Craft
Address: 224 Broad St, Summit, NJ 07901
Phone: (908) 273-0578

That is all I could find so far. Good reputation from fellow BMW owners.

Good luck.
Thanks a lot for your inputs. This is one forum where people are REALLY helpful.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:12 PM

I was recently told that the ticking noise that i hear from my 96 328i could be the lifters.
"AC Schnitzer" suggested that it could be the VANOS.

In my case, the sound is apparent while idling or when driving slow. So which one is more probable - VANOS or Lifters?

If it is the lifters, what should i do to get rid of the noise? does this ticking cause any harm in the long run??

Brix_328i
Old 03-11-2005, 03:49 PM
EURO STYLE

If this happens when you drive, doeas it come out of the hood? or the front wheels? Right? Left?

let us know,

Thanks.
christian.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:08 AM

Quote:
If this happens when you drive, doeas it come out of the hood? or the front wheels? Right? Left?

let us know,

Thanks.
christian.
The noise comes while idling and while driving at slow speeds from the left side of the engine compartment (some where directly in front of the driver side) Initially i thought it was from the suspension, but my mechanic said that its from the engine.

I appreciate your input on this.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:21 AM
EURO STYLE

do you have a cold air intake?
Old 03-16-2005, 07:05 AM

Quote:
do you have a cold air intake?
No, everything is factory - no additional fittings...
My mechanic said that it could be the lifters making the noise,

Please advise...
Old 03-16-2005, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: '93 325is
Quote:
The the ticking is the VANOS so you are in good shape lot of people complaint about it, but once it warms up is all gone. I'll check for a shop for you.
I had the same problem, although mine was compunded by a marked power drop between 3500-4500 rpm during acceleration. The noise was a little different than lifter noise, plus it went away at higher rpms (like yours). With a $4.99 stethoscope from Harbor Freight, I determined it to come from under the VANOS cover.

Incidentally, when my mechanic confirmed the bad VANOS, he asked what kind of oil I was using. My last oil change, I bought 0-50 weight synthetic oil, because it said on the container that it was specifically formulated for BMW. Shortly after that is when the noise started. He suggested that I drain the synthetic oil (there went $40 poured out in my back yard, oops, I mean recycled at Autozone) and replace with Castrol 20-50. Unfortunately, the damage had been done: the thinner oil had caused the VANOS to become starved of oil pressure at lower rpms.

My mechanic found a used VANOS for $75, and installed it for me. Problem solved, and she runs smooth and quiet, with nice linear acceleration.

Good luck!
Old 03-22-2005, 07:10 AM

Hi..
Anyone else out there who had this problem??
From all the responsed I got, It seems this could either be the VANOS or the Lifters.
I've heard that the VANOS makes a gurgling kind of sound. Mine is more like a ticking sound.
Any suggested solutions to this problem??
Old 03-22-2005, 01:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 92 325i, 00 528i
I have the same problem but only when the car is cold.....the ticking stops after the car warms up.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: E36
Iam no expert but most makes of cars do this mainly the older ones,the worst are fords cvh engines,even warm they u can still hear the (tappets,cam followers/lifters).
some people say the injectors make a ticking noise and its normal? and also the disributor weights can tick,its nothing to worry about my bmw does it,some cars tick when hot some cold? if your car gets warm and the noise is so loud(like a genorator) and your rpm drops u no u have a problem,the lifters get clogged in this case u can change them but i did this to a ford xr2 but the problem remained in the end it was the oil pump not pushing enough oil to the engine hence the dry lifters. but you have nothing to worry about its a engine at the end of the day unless u by a brand new soundless engine u got to expect a lil noise,dont let it worry u,some people do spend more time worrying about there cars than driving them its natural but unless u got a major problem enjoy your car............
Old 04-03-2005, 06:23 PM
E30 Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to kishg
Mein Auto: too many bmws
i have noticed a similar ticking noise in my 96 328i. i assumed that is must be one of the belts. should i be concerned about it? if it is an oil pressure issue, is it simply the type of oil or something more? i am planning to drain and change the oil, any recommendations? i've read about lubro-moly but cant seem to find it in any of the local auto parts stores. I'm considering Mobil-1
Old 04-09-2005, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 330X1
Ticking Noise

[i've Had The Same Problem With My 2001 Bmw 330xi. I'm Worried That It Might Be A Costly Thing....i Have Not Heard From The Mechanic..but, I Should Soon..does Anyone Else Have This Problem...???
Old 04-09-2005, 08:03 PM
E30 Maniac

i just did an oil service (switched to mobil-1 0W-40) and the problem seems much reduced. Will post in about a week with observations.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:20 PM
E30 Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishg
i just did an oil service (switched to mobil-1 0W-40) and the problem seems much reduced. Will post in about a week with observations.
It's been a week and the annoying ticking noise is gone!. I guess it must have been low oil pressure after all.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:27 PM
tomas3314

Send a message via Yahoo to tomas3314
Mein Auto: SC 95 M3, 92 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CONNIE4HAIR
[i've Had The Same Problem With My 2001 Bmw 330xi. I'm Worried That It Might Be A Costly Thing....i Have Not Heard From The Mechanic..but, I Should Soon..does Anyone Else Have This Problem...???
Yes count me in...it can get quite annoying and do believe it is a lifter(s) going or gone. I've hammered the problem away on my other forum and many people have the same problem but never got feedback on any solution. It usually is most prevailing when the engine is cold and once it gets warmed up it goes away or when the car is idling. Once the revs go up it tends to go away. It is considerably loud though and seems to come from the engine.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: '98 328
I do not know this to be the solution to the ticking problem but I read on another forum that if you add some more oil-actually over fill, the ticking sound will go away. I guess it helps the starved lifters. Any way, just a thought, seemed to help the other guy's ticking problem.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:25 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Engine Tick Is Killing Me

Hello all, I own a 96' 328I everything is stock I have service records, but there is a tick in the engine compartment and I'm not sure what to do from here. I DO NOT want to spend money on a diagnosis because I have previously and they told me they can't find any issue and in order to go forward they need more money. . . . which I said is complete bull**** and requested my Fcuking keys and car back right away. The noise is horrible in 1st gear and by second gear I can barley hear it. Any and all input is much appreciated and much needed! Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96'328i
Hello all, I own a 96' 328I everything is stock I have service records..blah blah blah
Go away. You have your own thread open saying the exact same thing as you just posted. Don't threadjack.

Also, to everyone in this thread, the valvetrain in these engines is very loud. More so than any other car I've been around (excluding some select hondas). I'm not saying that unusual (loud ticks, clicks, etc.) noises are normal..but to the inexperienced, it is very easy to exaggerate a little valve chatter and let your mind get carried away with thinking the worst. Just sayin..
Old 11-06-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredo328 View Post
I do not know this to be the solution to the ticking problem but I read on another forum that if you add some more oil-actually over fill, the ticking sound will go away. I guess it helps the starved lifters. Any way, just a thought, seemed to help the other guy's ticking problem.
That may be true with the starved lifters but over-filling will cause the motor to use more oil and you'd have to keep filling. Plus its just a bad idea to over-fill past the factory standards.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee_Antic View Post
Go away. You have your own thread open saying the exact same thing as you just posted. Don't threadjack.

Also, to everyone in this thread, the valvetrain in these engines is very loud. More so than any other car I've been around (excluding some select hondas). I'm not saying that unusual (loud ticks, clicks, etc.) noises are normal..but to the inexperienced, it is very easy to exaggerate a little valve chatter and let your mind get carried away with thinking the worst. Just sayin..
No need to be a Richard! Just saying. . .
Old 11-06-2012, 07:01 AM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96'328i View Post
That may be true with the starved lifters but over-filling will cause the motor to use more oil and you'd have to keep filling. Plus its just a bad idea to over-fill past the factory standards.

?

This makes less sense than Rodrick and Nicholkid combined.

It is a common track/AutoX practice to add in an additional 0.5L to reduce/eliminate lifter tick, as when REALLY pushing these cars, they tend to get a bit oil starved, but that does in NO WAY 'cause the motor to use more oil'.

Aside from these limited applications, no, you really do NOT need more oil, just use the correct weight for your climate.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?