Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-10-2005, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i, 89 325i
Question Difficult Shifting TSB - New Question

This thread relates to BMW TSB SI B 23 03 02 from January of 03, I think.

Here is a previous thread that discusses the topic:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...9&page=2&pp=25

I believe I have similar symptoms, in a 2000 328i Sedan (61k). When cold it is sometimes ahrd to shift into 1st or 2nd gear. IT is like there is some resistance at the gate for each gear. 3rd, 4th and 5th will sometimes exhibit the same problems, but it is usually not very bad. Sometimes shifting from 1st-2nd it feels like there is a bit of resistance before it will snap into 2nd gear, but nothing too harsh...once the shifter is pushed past the resistance it will snap right into gear. The reistance does not feel rough (ie no grinding, noise, etc). Overall, the problem is not horrible...I stll enjoy driving the car (of course), but sometimes it makes it a bit more labor.

Now for the question...as I understand this TSB, this seems like a likley cause of my problem. I don't believe the car has enough miles or tranny abuse to warrent worn syncros...
The "catch pins" or "clutch pins" described in this TSB...does anyone know if those are internal to the transmission or are accessable externally?

I know the transmission must be removed, but beyond that it is uncertain.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2005, 07:19 AM

Bump?
Old 03-14-2005, 08:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i
The TSB is for a problem when the transmission is at operating temp. What you describe sounds normal. If you have trouble getting into first, pump the clutch a couple of times or put the transmission into second or third, and then back into first. Has the transmission fluid ever been changed?
Old 03-14-2005, 08:15 AM
takes the long way home..

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP
I had a 2002 325Ci. From day one the gearbox was notchy and clunky and occasionally grindy . But sometimes it was super smooth. It drove me nuts

I did the following:
- CDVectomy
- clutch stop
- UUC Evo III shifter
- heavier shift knob
- Redline D4 ATF fluid

After all those mods it was much much better, but not perfect.

The minute I took delivery of my 330 I was SO happy but at the same time I realized what a piece a shit the tranny in the 325 was

My 330 gearbox is SUPER smooth in all gears, even if it's 5 degrees outside. In hindsight I wish I made a big stink about the 325 and got a new tranny.

I heard they were putting in GM transmissions in the E46s

Old 03-16-2005, 05:32 PM

I have changed the fluid, at about 55k (now at 61k), and that did indeed help. I used a synthetic fluid so it did improve cold performance too. Maybe I'll just have to deal with it. ... but I hate putting it into 2nd and then back into first or whatnot. Obviously warrently is out of the question for me, so I doubt a new transmission is worthwhile, although I think I could aquire one for $1500 or so...it would take most of my weekend to install it...plus the cost of a new clutch/throwout bearing.

Maybe I will remove the CDV when I change the clutch fluid in the next couple of months.

Does anybody know where the catch/clutch pins are located?
Old 03-16-2005, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizat63
I had a 2002 325Ci. From day one the gearbox was notchy and clunky and occasionally grindy . But sometimes it was super smooth. It drove me nuts

I did the following:
- CDVectomy
- clutch stop
- UUC Evo III shifter
- heavier shift knob
- Redline D4 ATF fluid

After all those mods it was much much better, but not perfect.

The minute I took delivery of my 330 I was SO happy but at the same time I realized what a piece a shit the tranny in the 325 was

My 330 gearbox is SUPER smooth in all gears, even if it's 5 degrees outside. In hindsight I wish I made a big stink about the 325 and got a new tranny.

I heard they were putting in GM transmissions in the E46s
shizat63 - Where did you get a heavier shift knob? Is it a BMW part or aftermarket? I assume some kind of aftermarket part. The BMW knob is superlight.

Did the clutch stop make a big difference in driving? I have heard various opinions on the matter.

They do put GM trannys from France in the e46, but only auto...manual are still getrag or ZF, mine being ZF as in your 330.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:40 PM
takes the long way home..

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP
An aftermarket knob is not just for looks, it makes shifting easier and more fluid. I went with a UUC Alum RK3 knob, but it gets very hot or very cold. The LeatherZ one is really good too, just a bit taller.

Clutch stop is a $0.35 bolt and $1.10 felt furniture leg cover from Home Depot. Take it out if you don't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper
shizat63 - Where did you get a heavier shift knob? Is it a BMW part or aftermarket? I assume some kind of aftermarket part. The BMW knob is superlight.

Did the clutch stop make a big difference in driving? I have heard various opinions on the matter.

They do put GM trannys from France in the e46, but only auto...manual are still getrag or ZF, mine being ZF as in your 330.