Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 325i ZSP
For those of you w/OEM Alarm...

I just ordered from Circle BMW ($225, great price )

I was looking thru the BMW accessories brochure and noticed the following info on the alarm. "With just one touch of a button, the system locks your BMW's doors, trunk, hood and fuel filler door. Two touches double-lock the doors while a sensor detects any tampering with glass".

What's this two touch stuff? What is "double locking" the doors, aren't they either locked or unlocked? I don't get it.

And is the "glass breakage detector" *not* activated when you only hit button once?!

And finally, why does brochure say there is a "Glass Breakage Detector"? I don't see one in kit, I only see ultrasonic motion detector and tilt sensor. Is glass breakage function included in one of those sensors?

The reason I ask is that I want full protection with one click (not two!) and want to know if this can be programmed. (I recently had an ipod gripped from my other car. )
Ads by Google
Old 03-08-2005, 06:13 PM
USC Yque

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagheuer

...{edited}
And finally, why does brochure say there is a "Glass Breakage Detector"? I don't see one in kit, I only see ultrasonic motion detector and tilt sensor. Is glass breakage function included in one of those sensors?
Yes, the motion detector on the headliner is the glass breakage detector.

The tilt motion detector is located in the trunk.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 330i M Perf Pack
I think pressing the BMW emblem twice disables the motion sensor. Maybe the brochure is for an alarm for a different model?
Old 03-08-2005, 06:36 PM

Well, the brochure was for 3 series cars....you know, accessories for the 3 series....

the double locking thing just doesn't make sense to me. Crazy Krauts, maybe it was a typo in translating from Deutsch to English.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:14 PM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
Well, the brochure was for 3 series cars....you know, accessories for the 3 series....

the double locking thing just doesn't make sense to me. Crazy Krauts, maybe it was a typo in translating from Deutsch to English.
I think the double-locking may be refering to the fact that if you lock the car with the remote... you can't pull the door handles from the inside to open the doors.

One-click of the lock button arms the alarm with the motion/"glass breakage" detector on.
Two-clicks of the lock button disables the motion sensor.

At least that's how mine is.

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 03-08-2005, 08:15 PM
Former ZHP pilot

Mein Auto: 2011 135i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy
I think the double-locking may be refering to the fact that if you lock the car with the remote... you can't pull the door handles from the inside to open the doors.

One-click of the lock button arms the alarm with the motion/"glass breakage" detector on.
Two-clicks of the lock button disables the motion sensor.

At least that's how mine is.
Ditto!

I thought that double locking stuff only applied to E36s?
Old 03-08-2005, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Vanos
Ditto!

I thought that double locking stuff only applied to E36s?
Apparently not... we actually tried this... locked someone inside a car and locked it with the remote... then had them try to pull the door handle.... door didn't open...

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
Old 03-08-2005, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumratt
It's that simple to keep someone hostage?
Hmm... never thought of it that way...

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
Old 03-08-2005, 09:35 PM
Adolescent On-Call

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
It's that simple to keep someone hostage?

Old 03-08-2005, 11:09 PM

Mein Auto: 330i, Toyota Land Cruiser
Quote:
Pressing the button twice disactivates the motion sensor.

When I forget to do that, my dog sets off the alarm.

I guess I "baited" a couple of punks the other day outside a Chipotle fast food place. I had my car parked right out front with the windows down so anyone could easily see inside. As I ate my burrito and watched the car a couple of kids walk by it, they slow down and seem to be looking into the car. One guy looked around and then stuck his hand into the car to feel the Alcantara steering wheel......WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP...lights flashing, car blaring....scared the holy living you-know-what out of the guy. I get up and walk towards the exit, press the button to turn off the alarm and walk outside..."Hey, did you guys happen to see someone messing with my car?"......."Uhhhhh, no.....no we didn't".........."Okay, well let me know if you do"

Old 03-09-2005, 12:04 AM
It's Highly Addictive!

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Apparently not... we actually tried this... locked someone inside a car and locked it with the remote... then had them try to pull the door handle.... door didn't open...
This applies to cars with central locking with remote, whether you have the alarm or not. The E39's manual specifically warns that if you lock someone in with the remote, it is impossible for them to unlock the doors and open them. Doesn't look like the E46 manual says this, but I guess you verified it.

The manuals also warn to never leave the key in the car with an animal or child, for this reason.

2004 330i 6MT · performance package · silver gray · alcantara/cloth · black cube · xenons · pdc · aux audio
Old 03-09-2005, 04:59 AM

Guys, thanks for all the advice. that makes sense to me.

I've heard you can lock someone in the car, but won't doors open if you press the central unlock button on center console? I think I tried locking myself in car with key and all I did was press that button and everything unlocked...(i think...if I remember correctly)....
Old 03-09-2005, 05:12 AM
Ring Junkie

Send a message via ICQ to Dirtboy Send a message via AIM to Dirtboy Send a message via Yahoo to Dirtboy
Mein Auto: E46 E83 E30- all M sport!
Quote:

Hmm, I've tried that too - locked myself in the car with the remote ( alarm armed ) and tried the doors.... no go. But when I hit the unlock button in the car (center console) the doors unlocked...

(the things you do when you first get your car )

Nürburgring info
Old 03-09-2005, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Guys, thanks for all the advice. that makes sense to me.

I've heard you can lock someone in the car, but won't doors open if you press the central unlock button on center console? I think I tried locking myself in car with key and all I did was press that button and everything unlocked...(i think...if I remember correctly)....
You know... I can't remember exactly... I think we tried pressing the center console unlock button, and it made some weird clicking noises but the doors wouldn't open.

Maybe the person we locked in the car remembers better.

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
Old 03-09-2005, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboy
(the things you do when you first get your car )
Got to make sure all the "features" work, right?

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
Old 03-11-2005, 02:05 PM

Ok, called a local SE MI dealer for a quote on installation of the OEM alarm. And guess what the price was? (for alarm and 1 hour of installation)......$506 or shall I say

i am so glad I ordered it from circle.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330i ZHP
Quote:
Ok, called a local SE MI dealer for a quote on installation of the OEM alarm. And guess what the price was? (for alarm and 1 hour of installation)......$506 or shall I say

i am so glad I ordered it from circle.
$506? Wtf? They HAD to have charged 2 hours labor. Alarm MSRP = $300. $200 for 1/hr labor?!
Old 03-11-2005, 02:10 PM

well, they didn't *say* one hour....but that's what it takes, from everything I hear....and that's a DIY job.

would it really take a dealer 2 hours to do that?! Wow. So, you must be right in assuming 2 hours at a hundy per.....
Old 03-11-2005, 02:41 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
well, they didn't *say* one hour....but that's what it takes, from everything I hear....and that's a DIY job.

would it really take a dealer 2 hours to do that?! Wow. So, you must be right in assuming 2 hours at a hundy per.....
Got my 330i a couple of months ago and paid $425 for dealer supply/install of alarm. I didn't want to mess with DIY -- installing the siren seems to be the toughest part.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm