Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 03-10-2005, 06:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 M3, Ordered Z4 3.5
Order To Delivery - Time Line

Placed an order with dealer for M3 on 2/22/05, within several days it showed up as "On Order" through order tracking. Still not scheduled for production.

What has been experience of others - time laspe from "on order," to "scheduled for production," to "awaiting transportation," to "en route," to "at prep center," and finally "at BMW center."
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2005, 07:16 PM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
You need to find out what production week you have, that will tell you when it's due to start production. Dealer allocations can vary widely...you could have a production date sometime next week or next month.

I ordered in early Feb and took delivery in late May. 2-3 months is normal.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 03/ZHP, 03/Z4, 01/325
I hope you don't mind me posting a similiar thought!

My car is currently "waiting for it's vessel". What's the time frame on this, and what's it usually take for a boat ride from it's port of exit to SC?
Old 03-11-2005, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: M3
90 days is not uncommon, and the wait at port can be from 1 day, to 2 weeks.
check the shipper's website and look for the next ship headed to your port and you will know the date it will be shipped.

Life is like a B Movie, you wouldn't want to sit through it twice, but you'd hate to leave it in the middle!
Old 03-11-2005, 01:49 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Tyr SEARCHING first. This has been covered SEVERAL times.

And bottom line, it all depends. Mine was 58 days from placing order to delivery. Others have taken months. The other threads wil explain what affects the timeline.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 03-11-2005, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrowJon
Placed an order with dealer for M3 on 2/22/05, within several days it showed up as "On Order" through order tracking. Still not scheduled for production.

What has been experience of others - time laspe from "on order," to "scheduled for production," to "awaiting transportation," to "en route," to "at prep center," and finally "at BMW center."
I place my M3 order on January 31, and it went into production Tuesday of this week, March 8. Looking at the Vehicle Inquiry Status Report, which I received from my dealer when I enquired about the vehicle's Production Number, the dealer had an M3 allocation placed on January 20, which became my car with a few adjustments to color and options. So, you might use either of these dates to figure when your car should be constructed.

In addition, the VISR included a week number for completion. Mine was week 11, which is next week. So figure that production will start sometime in the week prior to scheduled completion.

Last edited by mark07960; 03-11-2005 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: 03/ZHP, 03/Z4, 01/325
Wow. I placed my order on Feb 16th and production was completed on March 5th. It's currently waiting on the dock. I assume it's waiting for the Takasago, looking at the schedule.

I've found the website to be a little more up-to-date than it was when I ordered my 330i 2 years ago. Calling BMW USA though and getting the info that way (the automated line) gives me even more up-to-date info though, and is more detailed.

Last edited by eluder; 03-11-2005 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3, Ordered Z4 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
You need to find out what production week you have, that will tell you when it's due to start production. Dealer allocations can vary widely...you could have a production date sometime next week or next month.

I ordered in early Feb and took delivery in late May. 2-3 months is normal.

How does one get their "production week?" Called the 800 number today and got same information that is posted "order received, not yet scheduled for production."
Old 03-11-2005, 06:48 PM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrowJon
How does one get their "production week?"
Ask your salesman.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:28 AM
Hated by hater haters

Mein Auto: 09 MINI JCW
Woohoo...

Mine is now out of production and awaiting transport. So I guess I'm looking at about 4 weeks till delivery.

I'm on the edge of my seat...

Last edited by RaceTripper; 03-21-2005 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 05 M3 Coupe
New member here. I ordered mine on 1/26 and right now its at the processing center waiting for a truck to bring it to my dealer. I ordered an 05 jet black coupe w/ SMG, black leather, premium, cold weather, nav, xenons, and hk sound. Its replacing my silver 99 E36 M3 convertible. I called the dealer thursday and they said it should only be a few days now. I'm in upstate ny and I'm assuming the processing center is the one in NJ since it was dropped off at the port in nyc. If I get it before the weekend I'll post pictures.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Coupe
Another new member here. Placed an order on March 17th for the same exact car config as JohnnyDanger - a 2005 M3 Coupe, jet black with black leather, SMG, premium, cold weather, nav, xenons, and HK sound. It just went into production yesterday and should be done on the 13th of April. I'm guessing it should be here the 3rd or 4th week of May. Can't wait!
Old 04-06-2005, 01:21 PM
Lost

Mein Auto: 2003 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDanger
New member here. I ordered mine on 1/26 and right now its at the processing center waiting for a truck to bring it to my dealer. I ordered an 05 jet black coupe w/ SMG, black leather, premium, cold weather, nav, xenons, and hk sound. Its replacing my silver 99 E36 M3 convertible. I called the dealer thursday and they said it should only be a few days now. I'm in upstate ny and I'm assuming the processing center is the one in NJ since it was dropped off at the port in nyc. If I get it before the weekend I'll post pictures.
I am scheduled for production the last week of April. Hopfully looking at an early june delivery.

Same situation as you JonnyDanger. I have a 99 M3 convertable as well, but she is staying.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD330ci
I am scheduled for production the last week of April. Hopfully looking at an early june delivery.

Same situation as you JonnyDanger. I have a 99 M3 convertable as well, but she is staying.

I picked up my car on 3/29 and have been nothing but impressed since then. I'm about 700 miles into the break in and there is such a world of difference between the E46 and E36. A much more ferocious sound and such a better feeling of power. I haven't even really dipped into the full power of the thing yet and I can't wait too. I never really pushed my E36 all that much, I don't think I ever took it above 110mph but I can't wait to see what the new one can do.

Here are some pics of my new and old M3's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NewM3-1.jpeg
Views:	207
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	48031   Click image for larger version

Name:	newM3-2.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	48032   Click image for larger version

Name:	newM3-3.jpeg
Views:	216
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	48033   Click image for larger version

Name:	newM3-4.jpeg
Views:	204
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	48034   Click image for larger version

Name:	oldM3-1.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	48035  

Old 04-07-2005, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: e46 M3
Quote:
I'm about 700 miles into the break in and there is such a world of difference between the E46 and E36. A much more ferocious sound and such a better feeling of power.
Yes, totally agree... I'm just back from Euro Delivery with 1992 miles. The sounds this car makes are fantastic. The e36 was like an electric motor, linear but no indication other than the butt dyno. The e46 screams. On those two lane Italian roads where you drop down a gear to pass... the sound is so alive, as is the car. A friend from London met me for this delivery as he did for my 97 ED with the e36 and even he noticed how much more raw this car feels, that from a week in 97, and only a couple of other times in the car since.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to RChoudry
Mein Auto: 86 325es; 87 325iC; 06 M3
hey gene,

welcome back! sounds like the trip was a blast.

we had fun too but going to Colorado a day after getting home was painful.

we're off to San Fran tomorrow and then Miami. that sould round out the traveling for a while.

I'm anxiously awaiting the car (damage-free). The boat should dock NYC on 4/9 and I figure another couple of days until I get the car. I'll be away when it arrives.

The Euro license plate holder is the standard size for a Euro plate but we got Tourist plates (520 mm vs 420 mm) which are smaller. I may have to get my hands on a Euro plate one of these days to go with the holder I bought. Oh well.

Did you do the 1200 mile service while you were over there?

-2006 Z4 M Roadster (Sapphire Black/imola red)...12/9/2006
-2006 M3 ZCP Interlagos blue/black via PCD 11/29/2005
-2004 330i ZHP Imola red/black alcantara CPO 1/2008
-1999 Audi A4 1.8tQ (Jaspis Green/Black)
-1986 325es (Zinnoberot red/Pearl)
Old 04-07-2005, 01:11 PM

He Rashad,

That was fun meeting everyone over there and spending the day with you two and the Regensburg tour.

It was an excellent trip. I didn't do the service not wanting to part with the car for a day, and have some unknown dealer in Italy doing a test drive, so I kept it to 5500 rpm or less the entire trip. Though, as you probably remember, I didn't keep to the lower speed recommendation.

I got hit by some flying debris on the road from Italy to Munich on drop-off day! But the insurance is covering it, and the car is right now at the Munich factory getting a newly painted hood and new windshield.

So, I'm probably two months from seeing it again (west coast).

Good luck on the rest of the time away from home, and hope our cars arrive swiftly and safely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RChoudry
hey gene,

welcome back! sounds like the trip was a blast.

we had fun too but going to Colorado a day after getting home was painful.

we're off to San Fran tomorrow and then Miami. that sould round out the traveling for a while.

I'm anxiously awaiting the car (damage-free). The boat should dock NYC on 4/9 and I figure another couple of days until I get the car. I'll be away when it arrives.

The Euro license plate holder is the standard size for a Euro plate but we got Tourist plates (520 mm vs 420 mm) which are smaller. I may have to get my hands on a Euro plate one of these days to go with the holder I bought. Oh well.

Did you do the 1200 mile service while you were over there?
Old 04-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36M3r
I got hit by some flying debris on the road from Italy to Munich on drop-off day! But the insurance is covering it, and the car is right now at the Munich factory getting a newly painted hood and new windshield.

So sorry to hear. I hope she comes out perfect!!

I sure the driving experiance was awesome.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Lost

Quote:
Hey JonnyDanger,

What a beautiful cab!!

Was is a 5spd and any regrets letting it go?

Congrats on the new M as well.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Hey JonnyDanger,

What a beautiful cab!!

Was is a 5spd and any regrets letting it go?

Congrats on the new M as well.

Thanks a lot!
The E36 was an auto (unfortunately). I don't really have any regrets on letting it go. I'm in upstate ny so the winter here can last from mid october till early april sometimes. I left the hardtop on for about half the year. It even snowed a few years ago on my graduation day from college in mid may. A few months after I got it I developed seasonal allergies so on a nice spring day with the top down my eyes would suddenly water and want to shut on the way into work... so I'd only get to put the top down for about 1 or 2 months out of the year. I loved it when I could put the top down and enjoy it but I found it attracted a lot of unwanted attention after a while. I drive by a community college at least twice a day on the way to and from work and its filled with guys who think wearing a crooked baseball cap and a scowl makes their neon into a ferrari. I've actually had a wendy's cup half full of sprite thrown at me with the top down before. I'm hoping to avoid any of that kind of nonsense with the E46.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:29 PM

Quote:

So sorry to hear. I hope she comes out perfect!!
I sure the driving experiance was awesome.
Yes, thanks very much. I'm just past the bummed stage, and when I talked to the fellow actually at the BMW plant, knowing they would make it as new, I felt better.

I'll say one thing about a real road trip on Euro Delivery... (2K miles) the car becomes 'yours' much sooner than if you had it here first and were babying it for a long time. I had four people in the car (Rashad) the day I picked it up, and for the next week four (others) of us were schlepping a completely full trunk load of luggage in and out of her. While it rained like crazy, there was snow on the ground, and the car was very dirty for much of the time!

Well, it's just a car after all... but it will still be essentially perfect when I get it back.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Why didn't I get an E46 M3 instead of the 04 330? Oh well, I can look foward to the E90 M3. Damn the depreciation.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
I picked up my car on 3/29 and have been nothing but impressed since then. I'm about 700 miles into the break in and there is such a world of difference between the E46 and E36. A much more ferocious sound and such a better feeling of power. I haven't even really dipped into the full power of the thing yet and I can't wait too. I never really pushed my E36 all that much, I don't think I ever took it above 110mph but I can't wait to see what the new one can do.

Congrats on the new car! She is beautiful.

Thanks for the pictures. My car is the same exact config, so now I know what it will look like I was torn between the carbon black and jet black, but in the end decided to go with the jet black. Glad to see how nice it looks!

Good luck with the car, I'm sure you'll have a blast!
Old 04-08-2005, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3JB
Congrats on the new car! She is beautiful.

Thanks for the pictures. My car is the same exact config, so now I know what it will look like I was torn between the carbon black and jet black, but in the end decided to go with the jet black. Glad to see how nice it looks!

Good luck with the car, I'm sure you'll have a blast!
Thanks!
I too was torn between jet black and carbon black. I hadn't seen carbon black in person but in the pics I had seen it looked too blue for my tastes. I was concerned about whether or not the jet black would look too flat but now I'm happy I went with it after seeing how shiny it is in person.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:33 PM

Just to give an idea of how shiny the jet black can look. It was a beautiful day so I headed up to the Saratoga auto museum and took these pics in the parking lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	park1.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	48194   Click image for larger version

Name:	park2.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	48195   Click image for larger version

Name:	park3.jpg
Views:	147