Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '98 323is/'70 TR6 PI
Just curious about individual program

I keep reading in search results that there is no real Individual Program in the US, but yet I've met people who said they participated in that program--one guy has a Ferrari red M3 painted from the factory--things like that. Are these people who just found a way through the system? Or is there really something of an individial program in the US? I'm not planning on using it soon (just bought a car). I'm mostly just curious.
Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2005, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: E39
US dealers can order individual. Many of them won't do it b/c of our laws here vs Europe.

In the US, you have no obligation to a car until you take delivery. So if someone orders a really unique combo and then doesn't like it person, they can walk away and leave it on the dealer's lot

In Europe, there is financial consequences to ordering a car and not taking delivery...so less risk to dealers.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: .
some dealers are better about getting special orders done.

but I high doubt somebody in the US has a "Ferrari Red" BMW painted from the factory. I'm not sure BMW does custom colors like that for anybody in any country.

To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: '15 435Xi.GC & '00 323Ci
Question;
I heard that only 'M' cars can be ordered Individual because they are built specially in the first place, so its not a problem.

But if any U.S. BMW can be ordered that way, why wouldn't dealers offer some kind of secondary agreement for customers to sign in case they do decide to not take the car? Doesn't make good business sense.....

Does anyone know if you can do special orders on European Delivery cars (like a different exterior paint, etc.)?
Old 03-10-2005, 11:07 AM
Proud S ponsor

Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg
why wouldn't dealers offer some kind of secondary agreement for customers to sign in case they do decide to not take the car?
Because it wouldn't be worth the paper it was written on.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: M3
My next Bimmer, M or not, will be Carbon Black (given that the color is still available in the Individual pallet).
Old 03-10-2005, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg
Question;
I heard that only 'M' cars can be ordered Individual because they are built specially in the first place, so its not a problem.
not true

To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: '98 323is/'70 TR6 PI
Quote:
Originally Posted by atyclb
some dealers are better about getting special orders done.

but I high doubt somebody in the US has a "Ferrari Red" BMW painted from the factory. I'm not sure BMW does custom colors like that for anybody in any country.
Well, that wasn't the name of the color, but it wasn't any BMW red that I've ever seen, and it was a factory paint job.

I was just curious anyway. If I ever try to do through with an individual program order, it won't be for at least a few years.