Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-13-2005, 12:14 AM
Newbie BMW Owner

Mein Auto: 2005 325i
navigation add on

I wish I had gotten navigation on my 2005 325i, but I didn't. Is there any way to get it installed now? Will the dealer do it for me, or is it something I could possibly do myself?

I've tried the portable navigation systems, but just don't like having the unit sitting up on the dash with a cigarette lighter power chord draped down. Any tips or suggestions are welcome.
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2005, 01:05 AM
ex-M couper

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Clevenger
Mein Auto: '06 650i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambie
I wish I had gotten navigation on my 2005 325i, but I didn't. Is there any way to get it installed now? Will the dealer do it for me, or is it something I could possibly do myself?

I've tried the portable navigation systems, but just don't like having the unit sitting up on the dash with a cigarette lighter power chord draped down. Any tips or suggestions are welcome.
I've done this on a 2004 325xiT. Not all that hard. Search for the thread and you will have everything you need.

Being that you are in Abu Dhabi, You might be able to get everything you need at your dealer, including the retrofit cable which is not usually a US part, but it is a European part.

Good Luck. This is not a simple mod, but not all that hard either. I don't know if European dealers will do this retrofit or not.

Monaco Blue 650i coupe; 6MT, HUD, ACC, ZCW, ZPS. Redelivered 20 July 2006
Old 03-13-2005, 01:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to Scotes
Mein Auto: '03 M5
Ditto what Bob said. If you do a search here or on e46fanatics.com you will find a link to a retrofit .pdf. It ain't easy but it is certainly do-able - you will probably have to do th e work yourself though. The information is out there.

Bob - In all my searches about NAV retrofits I've seen so many first responders basically saying "you're screwed" without know what they were talking about that it was nice to see one providing the good info.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the decision." - Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Scotes; 03-13-2005 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:01 PM
ex-M couper

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Clevenger
Mein Auto: '06 650i Coupe
Thanks Scotes,
The thing that makes this a practical DIY is that some people can get the retrofit cable even though it isn't a US part. Why BMW thinks that USA'ans aren't capable of doing this is beyond me. Or perhaps it is BMWNA.

Monaco Blue 650i coupe; 6MT, HUD, ACC, ZCW, ZPS. Redelivered 20 July 2006
Old 03-14-2005, 12:06 PM
Newbie BMW Owner

Mein Auto: 2005 325i
thanks for the replies all!

i am not in Abu Dhabi, I am actually in the US. i've got a friend that works in parts at a BMW dealer, so maybe he can help me out with this.

Anyway, i'm going to follow your links now and check out that pdf. i may be back with more questions soon thanks again!