Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-14-2005, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 x35i
Those with navigation

Can't seem to find much information on here re: navigation so I thought I'd start a thread.

How is it? How does it compare to other nav systems? Any complaints?
Ads by Google
Old 03-14-2005, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckerine
Can't seem to find much information on here re: navigation

Old 03-14-2005, 09:02 AM
takes the long way home..

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP
Acura and Lexus Nav is far superior to BMW nav. But the E46 nav does the job.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:44 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Can't seem to find much information on here re: navigation so I thought I'd start a thread.

Did you really use the Search function?
Old 03-14-2005, 10:15 AM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizat63
Acura and Lexus Nav is far superior to BMW nav. But the E46 nav does the job.
What he said.

My first NAV experience was on our Lexus, which I think is the best on the market so the BMW was kind of frustrating at first (but not too surprising as I heard about how difficult it was). Believe it or not the first thing I did was try to tap the screen! I just assumed that you had to have a touch screen with NAV boy I guess BMW proved me wrong!

Granted, I don't think these issues will be as prominent if you have never used NAV before and are not used to a particular system. To be fair, part of the problem that many people have at first seem to be more about being used to one system and switching rather than the superiority of said system. It's kind of like longtime Windows users who jump on a MAC for ten minutes and then scream "This computer SuCKS!"

Actually, the BMW has a few distinct advantages over the Toyota/Lexus system. The main one being on a Lexus, you become completely "locked" out of the system if the car is rolling faster than 3mph. I had to actually pull onto the shoulder of the freeway once to pull up a destination that took like three screen taps. It was infuriating. On a BMW, they allow you full use when the car is in motion (which is a real irony from a safety standpoint because BMW's system is so much harder and attention diverting to use!).

In summary, if you are asking because you are wondering if it is "worth it" to get NAV on a BMW the answer from this user is an unequivocal YES. In car NAV is one of those things that you don't realize how much you like (or need) until you've owned one. Then it seems you can't ever have a car without it (no matter what the brand)!

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)

Last edited by JonathanIT; 03-14-2005 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Waiting for Avatar

Mein Auto: Evo IX
Lexus/Toyota tend to make cars that are nannies. The fact that you can't operate the Nav when the car is rolling is a classic example of this. "We don't think you should be able to operate the nav when the car is rolling, therefore you can't" The Prius does the same thing.

Anyway, the Nav as a feature is a great thing, I have a Garmin in the Honda and there are real advantages to having the system built in. However, it is expensive for what you get so it is a tough choice. In car or a standalone unit.

So far, I like the BMW in car Nav when driving and te Garmin for everything else (like walking a new city).

Worth considering for sure.
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX (Electric Blue)
Old 03-14-2005, 11:03 AM

Ok, you a$$holes I did search, but there weren't any detailed opinions of the nav.

Thanks for the reply. I've never had nav in a car, but I, too, have that itching suspicion that it's something you can't live without once you have it.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Ok, you a$$holes I did search, but there weren't any detailed opinions of the nav.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
Hey genius, if you can find something that I'm looking for, why don't show me instead of wasting energy rolling your eyes. LOL.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Hey genius, if you can find something that I'm looking for, why don't show me instead of wasting energy rolling your eyes. LOL.
Hit search, type 'nav system' and you get the maximum on returned results... it caps at 500 threads. It is a topic which has been discussed almost as much as leather vs. leatherette.

Genius.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I've never had nav in a car, but I, too, have that itching suspicion that it's something you can't live without once you have it.
Hello and welcome,

Insulting forum members is not tolerated here. Please refrain from personally attacking other members.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2005, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Baumann
Hello and welcome,

Insulting forum members is not tolerated here. Please refrain from personally attacking other members.

Thanks
Apologies. I thought the was enough to indicate that I was being facetious.

And maybe we're not understanding something here. I *did* do a search for "nav system" but there aren't many - and here's the key; paying attn? - SUBSTANTIVE COMMENTS on the pros/cons.

Genius.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:36 PM
ex-M couper

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Clevenger
Mein Auto: '06 650i Coupe
Damn! I missed the insult! I thought Plaz was referring to the "search" function on the nav system.
Just slow, I guess.

As for the nav system, I like it a lot. No touch-screen (I hate touch-screens!) and pretty intuitive to use. It's frustrating when your destination isn't listed under "information" or when Navteq got the address wrong, but you can't list everything, and bugs happen -- to all systems.
It's fast and accurate and easy to use. The voice (in the Mk IV unit anyway) is very good -- not naggy like some.

This is my third Nav system. My '04 325xiT didn't come with it, I couldn't find one with both nav and manual trans, and I was too late to order one; so I retrofitted the nav (easier than a trans swap!).

When I got my first one I thought it would be a fun toy and a neat gadget -- from then on I consider it a major factor in any car-buying decision. I've even heard of a Mazda RX-8 owner who intentionally gets lost so that he can use the nav system to find new ways home!

Monaco Blue 650i coupe; 6MT, HUD, ACC, ZCW, ZPS. Redelivered 20 July 2006
Old 03-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Grinning from ear to ear

Mein Auto: is way too fast
I've never had a NAV before. But it took all of 2 minutes to figure out how to use the BMW system. It's very useful. Of course I was using it in Europe to read street names that had 15 letters in them, so I literally depended on it. I've used Acura's Nav system and it does have an easier user interface than BMW's. But BMW's is no slouch either. The only thing it's really lacking is a cursor button that slide the map up, down, left, and right. Other than that, the directions are clear, easy to understand, and easy to enter.

Hope this helps
Old 03-15-2005, 05:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Car
E46 Nav is pretty good...Acura is by far the best tho
Old 03-15-2005, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: Nissan Maxima
Quote:

I have a NAV too. It kicks ass.

Now come on folks, let's not deviate from the actual discussion.

The discussion is "Comparison among all NAV systems against BMW"
Unfortunately, I can't contribute because I only have exposure to BMW Nav and Iam happy with that. It's cool.

Only problem I see with the BMW NAV DVD is, if only it had contact info,just say telephone number of a restaurant, it will be cool. Before we input a restaurant as destination and drive there, we can call them and check if it's open and if the wait time is long we can maybe reserve or place the order or something like that. So telephone number is good to have.

Another one is that it has an option to selecte, "Avoid Highways". In addition to that if it also had options to calculate some 2-3 alternate routes, say scenic route, etc, it will be cool. May be the "Avoid highways" is scenic route.

Again, Iam not sure if it's "Avoid Highways" or "Avoid Tolls" ??? Can someone help me.?

I myself haven't fully explored the NAV. Maybe it's time to do it. hmm.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:52 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vimal
Only problem I see with the BMW NAV DVD is, if only it had contact info,just say telephone number of a restaurant, it will be cool. Before we input a restaurant as destination and drive there, we can call them and check if it's open and if the wait time is long we can maybe reserve or place the order or something like that. So telephone number is good to have.
... it does have telephone numbers of places in the database (at least in 2004-2 DVD disc). If you have Bluetooth or the CPT9000 (V60i) you can call the number straight from the screen by selecting it and pressing the phone button or just by using the voice command if so equipped.

And yes, BMW Nav gets the job done. Does is it better than the Acura TL's? No, but it gets me where I want to go pretty precisely, integrates the telephone, Sirius and even the iPod (using the ice>Link) with great visibility and functionality and overall gives the interior a better look than just having a plain radio there.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: Nissan Maxima
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
... it does have telephone numbers of places in the database (at least in 2004-2 DVD disc). If you have Bluetooth or the CPT9000 (V60i) you can call the number straight from the screen by selecting it and pressing the phone button or just by using the voice command if so equipped.

And yes, BMW Nav gets the job done. Does is it better than the Acura TL's? No, but it gets me where I want to go pretty precisely, integrates the telephone, Sirius and even the iPod (using the ice>Link) with great visibility and functionality and overall gives the interior a better look than just having a plain radio there.
hmmm.
Mine is 2005 325i ED.
I got only one DVD.
And it doesn't have telephone number (once I selected Aunt Sarah's).
I will check with my dealer.Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Regarding bluetooth, I think' it's cool feature to talk hands free. I got TMobile Sidekick II.
It doesn't have bluetooth

Why do you say Acura TL has better NAV?
Old 03-15-2005, 09:41 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
hmmm.
Mine is 2005 325i ED.
I got only one DVD.
1) And it doesn't have telephone number (once I selected Aunt Sarah's).

Regarding bluetooth, I think' it's cool feature to talk hands free. I got TMobile Sidekick II.
It doesn't have bluetooth

2) Why do you say Acura TL has better NAV?
1) Unless the telephone number coming up in the screen is linked to actually having a telephone connected (I doubt it), try searching for a restaurant using the "Information" section in the Nav menu. It will give you a list of restaurants (or banks, airports, gas stations, post offices if so desired) and once you select one it will give you the option of setecting it for navigation or the phone number to call by pressing the phone button or the right knob.

2) The mere fact that the Acura Navigation has around 350 voice commands vs. 49 for the BMW makes the BMW system kind of antique. The Acura Nav also gives two user's settings to store personal adresses, the screen is bigger (8" vs 6.5"), and of course the touch screen is better in all respects to the BMW single, grandfather of the iDrive, knob. Specially when an address would be input in the Acura a full keypad in the screen will be shown which you press with your finger each key to enter the address, whereas in the BMW you have to rotate the knob until you get to the letter, press the knob to select it, rotate the knob again for the next letter and so on. The Acura menus and settings are much better organized than the BMW's, and even the BMW Nav does not have a Help section as the Acura's.

Other than these differences, the overall speed and accuracy of both systems are comparable.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:10 AM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
... it does have telephone numbers of places in the database (at least in 2004-2 DVD disc).
Hey, wait a second... I only have one DVD also! When did this version come out, and did they just recently change to 2-disc? What is on the two discs--and when would you have to switch them?

As for Honda's NAV... I have not used one myself but I have a friend who works at Honda who drives different cars from their tech pool every week, so I have seen theirs in action. I still think the Toyota system is the best.

However, have you checked out the new Acura RL ? Well, they have one innovation that is a jump ahead of EVERYONE else with the new
NAVTRAFFIC option in conjunction with XM Sat Radio. Real time traffic conditions... it's awesome and to an L.A. driver it's like a dream! If I'm leaving to jump on the freeway now, I go to sites like Sigalert.com to get the current traffic conditions. But to be able to pull them up on my NAV screen would be GREAT! I hope other brands start offering this real soon! But in the meantime, Acuara scored a real coup by being the only automaker offering it for 2005.

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)
Old 03-15-2005, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
The reference to 2004-2 is the version of the DVD, not a "2 DVD disc 2004 disc".
Old 03-15-2005, 10:38 AM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
And it doesn't have telephone number (once I selected Aunt Sarah's).
There are actually two sets of POI (points of interest) data on the disc. The first set doesn't have phone numbers and doesn't let you search by name (only by category). The second set (Destinations+) does have phone numbers and lets you search by name as well as limit by distance, though you still have to select a category first. Neither set is particularly complete (which is NavTeq's fault, not BMW's).
Old 03-15-2005, 10:40 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sea...archid=1160223

Lazy f**k.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 04 330i SP 6 speed
Quote:

I too have experience with NAV from Acura (older TL) and Lexus (IS300). The only real draw back about BMW NAV is the user interface. This means to input address into BMW NAV will take longer than that in TL and IS300. And when you want to pan around the map on the screen, BMW is also not as convinint as those two. But the actual function of the NAV is about the same.

Out of these three system, TL is the only one that use touch screen. I think it also has the smallest screen amount these 3. It makes input anything in the NAV extremely easy. But finger print is very annoying. To make it worse, people with longer nail will sketch the anti reflection coating on the screen as time goes on. And controls for AC, radio .. are integrated into the screen. So if the screen fail (due to the touch), nothing will function properly anymore. IMO, I will avoid touch screen NAV. And all the integrated centrol control is not good either.

IS300 NAV is the best out of the 3. It uses a joy stick and a few button to access to the NAV menu. Input is easy, panning is also easy. The best part is when you don't need it, it fold away out of sight. Function such as AC, radio does not need the screen to function properly.

eel
Old 03-15-2005, 02:21 PM
In Driving Heaven

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
Sadly that takes you to a page with an error message on it. I don't recall how vBBS works, but I assume the search is specific to the searching user?

Knowing the right search terms is the key.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Mystic Blue 330i, SP, PP, Nav, Heated Seats, Step -- ED July 10, 2003